Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
LS swap

Hello, new to the forum and a new 944 owner. I have a 1986 Porsche 944 and I am hoping to do an LS swap in about a year. Although I would love to leave the original engine in, I would love more to have it as more of a daily to weekly driver and dread having to change timing belts, pumps, rollers...every 30,000 miles as suggested. My question is, what are some suggestions on engines I can use and what were your overall costs in doing a full swap?
Old 09-16-2019, 10:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

changing belts takes 2 hours every 4 years or so...
an LS swap of any flavor is going to be a lot more expensive and time consuming than you think at the outset.

not to discourage, they are fun, but you have to be aware there's a lot more to do than just the "kit".
Old 09-18-2019, 12:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

If you are not aware, there is an entire site dedicated to 944 swaps and probably over 90% of the swaps there are of the LS variety. There are complete cars for sale there and sometimes abandoned projects or swap kits from projects that never got off the ground. Any LS engine will "work", aluminum blocks are better from a weight perspective. A lot of the cost/time depends on your intended use.

Mine took me roughly a year to complete, just working on it here and there when I had time.

I had a lot of fun and learned a lot in the process.

Old 09-19-2019, 11:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Misunderstood User

Garage
If you also look on this forum, Techno Duck documented with process pictures of his swap.

Depending on your budget, goals, time, ability and passion, you might want to consider a good used 951.

1983 944n/a
2003 Mercedes CLK 500 - totaled. Sanwiched on the Kennedy Expressway
Old 09-20-2019, 04:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: