Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
suck my tail pipe

Send a message via AIM to Frank B
I've repaired the bumper shock..

Hello,
I've repaired the passenger side front bumper shock that was compressed.
1.) I removed the front bumper, laid it on the lawn.
2.) I removed both of the bumper shocks. THey are a right and left pair, there is a cant to each side as it comes off of the housing.
3.) I placed the compressed shock in a vise and cut off the protective boot.
4.) I then attached an adjustable wrench to it and gave it a twist, it sprung back out.
5.) I then made a new boot with an old Bicycle innertube.
6.) before re-installing everything I wire wheeled all bolts, then applied anti seize to all bolts.
7.) Re-instalelled everything, looks great, it's symetrical again....
8.)had coffee and Biscotti's with my mother inlaw. It was a nice way to start off my day.. I'm a happy guy..

Frank B
Old 03-28-2003, 10:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Thumbs up

Let me be the first to congradulate you!!!

Chris
Old 03-28-2003, 11:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to afx
I think I will try that on mine... my drivers shock is pushing half way in making the bumper crooked.

Http://members.rennlist.com/afx
Old 03-28-2003, 11:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Just stick a tow rope hook on that side and give it a pull, it will pop right out where it should; but it won't have the same resistance next time it's bumped.
Old 03-28-2003, 12:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
suck my tail pipe

Thank you Christoph, I saved my self $300.00 yep that's right, the dealer charges $139.50 for each side!!...You can do this repair while the bumper shock is ON the car, just attach a wrench to it grabbing both flanges vertically NOT horizintally, and give it a few twists, it should just Pop back out.
If not, remove the bumper shock from the car and try it on a "quality" bench vise. I must say now that the bumper is straight it looks better, it's not as Huge looking anymore..

afx:...... if you remove them make sure you mark them appropriately, passenger and driver.. they are specific to each side.... good luck....Oh heat up the innertube before you stretch it onto the shock mount, it'll make it easier.. and make sure it's a thick yube.. use a "whatever X 1.5 or 1.75.... that sghould do it.....
Old 03-28-2003, 01:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to daveimme
Got a question....if one is in too far, does it make the other side appear to be OUT too far? I don't know what happened to mine, but it is crooked as well. I was able to compress the side that appears to stick out further, but the compressed side wouldn't budge...

I can just pull it out??
83 Suzuki LT 125 (4 wheeler) (wife)
92 Honda XR 80 (son)
97 Honda CR 125R (son)
98 Honda CR250R (MINE)
2000 Kawasaki KX 65 (son)
2003 Honda XR 50 (Son and daughter)
Old 03-28-2003, 02:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Hey Highboost,
I just did the same thing the other day, i used a chain and drove in reverse hard and it yanked it out.

John
Old 03-28-2003, 05:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
suck my tail pipe

Quote:
Originally posted by daveimme
Got a question....if one is in too far, does it make the other side appear to be OUT too far? I don't know what happened to mine, but it is crooked as well. I was able to compress the side that appears to stick out further, but the compressed side wouldn't budge...

I can just pull it out??
Yes, one side will be out too far.
You may be able to pull it out, it's just jammed Dave. Give it a twist with an adjustable wrench, see if it pops out.. .. good luck...

If you need to purchase new ones, they're like $138.00 EACH!! not including tax.. I.M.O. that's ridiculous..
Old 03-28-2003, 07:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to fty
First off..you need a wolfpri bumper mod...take out bumper shox, drill hole in shock to empty(watch eyes for spraying hydrolic fluid)..compress and push bumper in...looks much better.....
Old 03-28-2003, 10:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Mein Gott!

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Frank B

If you need to purchase new ones, they're like $138.00 EACH!! not including tax.. I.M.O. that's ridiculous..

Or simply buy an intact used one from Partshaven or the such for much cheaper. I just bought one last fall for about $30.00 if I remember correctly.

Most times, buying from the dealer is just outrageous.
Old 03-29-2003, 02:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Or I was offering a pair including shipping for $30.
Old 03-29-2003, 04:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

I usually ask $25 apiece but I noticed the other day that I've got a bunch of them. Any takers?
Old 03-29-2003, 04:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to neildeshpande
I've repaired the bumper shock..

Gruppe:

I did the same thing to my 87 NA this morning. Just used channel locks to turn the shock 'fork' CW and CCW until it came back out. Measured it to the same extension as the 'other' shock and put the bumper back. Perfect!

Anti-sieze, of course!

BTW, getting the bumper off was a PITA! The compressed shock put the bolt hole over the airdam and I could not get the ratchet and med depth socket in there w/o jamming it. Eventually, had the ratchet jammed in there (partially my own silliness) and had to use a jack handle to twist it out of there.

Neil Deshpande
Old 03-30-2003, 07:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks Frank.....I'm gonna give that a shot when I first get a chance.....got my bike all prepped and ready for Texas in two weeks, therefore 'neglected' the 944 all weekend...
92 Honda XR 80 (son)
97 Honda CR 125R (son)
98 Honda CR250R (MINE)
Old 03-31-2003, 05:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
suck my tail pipe

nice.. which race ya doin?.. I did the tour of texas 1 time.. it was pretty hard..... I was puking alot.. (out of shape)..
Old 03-31-2003, 11:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
No, this boy doesn't race anymore.....just trail riding with a bunch of buddies.....last time I raced (hare scramble) was three years ago.....detached ham string (still is). Was out of work for a month and so the wife said that was it. Kids can race, but not me....too much responsibility, and besides, I hate to lose!! So now, I only get to ride for fun.
92 Honda XR 80 (son)
97 Honda CR 125R (son)
98 Honda CR250R (MINE)
Old 03-31-2003, 11:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
suck my tail pipe

hehehe
Old 03-31-2003, 11:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: