Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Driver

Garage
Is a new DME the answer?

Hi all,

My '87 NA 944 is a great car, but at 32 years old it is a little stumbly on acceleration, idle isn't as smooth as it might be, etc.

I have worked through some things that have definitely helped (O2 sensor) J boots, etc.

My question is this:

Might I reasonably expect that putting in one of the new FTech DMEs might produce an overall smoother car, or am I throwing my money away?

I am positing that over 32 years the signals that come out of the DME might be irregular in terms of voltage, signals etc. (albeit to a small degree since the car still runs), & a brand new brain might make things better.

So what do you all think?

Reasonable or a waste of money?

Thanks in advance,

GHEN
Old 10-02-2019, 05:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Waste of money. DMEs don't deteriorate performance. They either work or they don't.

Spend your money/time first fixing vacuum leaks, grounds, blueprint injectors, plug wires, spark plugs, etc.
We buy 944s and sell 944 parts (845-379-1944)
We rebuild torque tubes and instrument clusters for 944/968/928
Old 10-02-2019, 05:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 944 Ecology View Post
Waste of money. DMEs don't deteriorate performance. They either work or they don't.

Spend your money/time first fixing vacuum leaks, grounds, blueprint injectors, plug wires, spark plugs, etc.
Thanks George, appreciate the advice. I've done most of your list, haven't messed with vacuum leaks yet...need to figure that out.

GHEN
Old 10-02-2019, 05:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Build yourself a smoke machine, then attach it to the J boot. Any vacuum leak will leak smoke...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOhl4r0GSiE
We buy 944s and sell 944 parts (845-379-1944)
We rebuild torque tubes and instrument clusters for 944/968/928
Old 10-02-2019, 05:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

what you do want, once leaks are fixed, is to ****-can the stock DME/AFM and get a newer ECU with a MAF or MAP setup.
Old 10-03-2019, 09:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: