Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Porsche Crest balance shaft belt?

I put on a new balance shaft belt on my car and it makes an odd whirring sound. I tensioned it to a little under thirty pounds and used a 1/2 mm feeler gauge on the idler. After that I tried loosening the belt a little because I've heard it makes noise if it's over tightened. Does anyone have any ideas?
Old 03-29-2003, 10:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Mine always makes a whirring sound when it is cold. When I first bought the car in late '96, I had the dealer do the belts. It made a whirring sound when he did it. The sound lessens when the belt warms. It is annoying but has never done any harm. Loosening the belt reduces the noise. I tend to run this one loose because it can do no harm if it jumps a cog. You cannot do this with the cam belt. But it is quiet running.
1987 328GTS
2011 528i
Old 03-29-2003, 10:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

thanks, It seems to be quieting down after driving it for a while.
Old 03-29-2003, 03:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

The belt noise is caused by air being trapped and forced out of the gear cog when the belt fits into the grove. This is the same problem the big boys have on their blower belts. There is an after market balance shaft belt that is a little less wide and has relief groves on the belt rounds. This seem to get rid of that sound and you can tension it properly.
Old 03-30-2003, 06:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I recently tightened my balance shaft belt and it started making that whirring sound, has anyone had a problem with it breaking or messing up their engine? I have only drove it over short distances after i tightened it, but it still made the noise after the car was warm.

Also in the belt area i hear a loud knocking noise when i first start the car up in the morning, but after i let it idle for about 5 minutes it goes away and i dont hear it till the next day, any ideas on that?
Old 05-30-2003, 05:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: