Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 5
Will 944 engine bolt up to VW tranny?

I'm researching some swap possibilities and need to know if a 944 engine will bolt up to a VW tranny (020 or 02A). I know the 924 engine will, but not sure about the 944... Any info or related links would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Mark.
80 VW Scirocco S
81 VW Scirocco S
Old 03-29-2003, 03:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered User
 
MrPants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: dfw, texas
Posts: 1,137
the 944 auto tranny is actually a vw tranny so that should work. im pretty sure the manual is from an audi so im not sure about that.
__________________
84 944 Non Alcoholic
Old 03-29-2003, 05:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 636
Who makes the 944 transaxle is immaterial in this case, since I assume you want to put the 944 engine into a VW. The transaxle in the 944 it at the rear, and so does not bolt directly to the engine. What you need to find out is whether the bolt pattern on the front of the 944 torque tube matches that of your VW transmission.
Old 03-29-2003, 08:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Ornery Bastard
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Bellevue, WA
Posts: 2,872
Quote:
Originally posted by todd951
Who makes the 944 transaxle is immaterial in this case, since I assume you want to put the 944 engine into a VW. The transaxle in the 944 it at the rear, and so does not bolt directly to the engine. What you need to find out is whether the bolt pattern on the front of the 944 torque tube matches that of your VW transmission.
He'll also need to find out if there is anything that sticks out of the engine or the transmission casings that will cause clearance issues.

Aaron
__________________
Shifting is an art. Learn it, love it, live it.
---------
Silver 1998 Volvo S70 T5 <- Daily (Anja)
Guards Red 1986 951 <- Seattle car (Gretchen)
White 1976 914 2.0 F.I. <- Prodigal car, traded away then brought back again (Lorelei)
Old 03-29-2003, 08:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 5
I've researched using a 924 engine, and here's the info I found.

The torque tube on a 924 has the same bolt pattern as an Audi/VW tranny (020 02A) - therefore the engine's bolt pattern matches the tranny when the torque tube is taken out of the equation...

So, if the 2.5L 944 engine has the same bolt pattern as the 924, it should bolt up to a VW tranny...

I know I will have clearance issues - I'm trying to find the largest displacement "base" for a pretty ambitious project - so a bit of cutting/torching/welding is expected...

Thanks guys!

Mark.
80 VW Scirocco S
81 VW Scirocco S
Old 03-30-2003, 09:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered User
 
phantom309's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Kansas
Posts: 43
You're trying to do this to a Scirocco?

Even if it did physically bolt up, dropping an N/A 944 engine in a Scirocco would be very, very difficult. The whole form factor is different; you'd have to do an incredible amount of fabrication to make it fit correctly. Plus the N/A engine is very heavy and bulky for what it is. It's not especially powerful by today's standards, and is very expensive to mod.

I think if you asked most people on this board, they'd tell you the engine is their LEAST favorite thing about the 944.

Personally, I think you should be working in the other direction - figure out how to get a VR6 or 1.8T into a 944. THAT would be a sweet car!
__________________
'87 944S Guards Red
Koni Yellows, 45k
Old 03-30-2003, 04:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Lewiston,ID
Posts: 129
Sweet idea..., if you could make the 2.5 work in an A1/MK1 chassis, that could be so much fun...!! I'm about to do another 2.0 swap..but those get boring afterwhile...
__________________
Yes the motor is in the front....
Old 03-30-2003, 07:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally posted by phantom309
You're trying to do this to a Scirocco?

Even if it did physically bolt up, dropping an N/A 944 engine in a Scirocco would be very, very difficult. The whole form factor is different; you'd have to do an incredible amount of fabrication to make it fit correctly. Plus the N/A engine is very heavy and bulky for what it is. It's not especially powerful by today's standards, and is very expensive to mod.

My interest in the 944 engine is it's displacement. Basically I was looking for an engine in the VW/Audi/Porsche family with the largest displacement that would at least bolt up to a VW tranny... Since the 020 VW tranny attaches to the rear and driver side mounts, only the front and pass side mount would have to be fabricated (engine mounted sideways)... I also have dibs on a 944 core for cheap...

This is only a base though - I would totally rebuild the engine and head (I conveniently work at an automotive machine shop ), install some forged pistons, and turbo it (using Megasquirt standalone fuel management and probably MSD ignition...).

Since I'm doing the fabrication and engine work myself, plus saving BIG bucks by using the megasquirt ECU - the project shouldn't get too out of hand financially Ya right....

Got any suggestions on a lighter engine that would serve the same purpose?

Mark
80 VW Scirocco S
81 VW Scirocco S
(77 924 out back as well)
Old 03-31-2003, 02:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Lewiston,ID
Posts: 129
Well maybe the 2.0 ABA would be just fine. But if it's dispalcement for cheap, the Chrysler 2.5 turbo engine used in the Omni GLH's and the Shelby chargers, I know it's very easy to get high boost out of and should work somehow in an A1 platform. GO to VWvortex.com and start askin on those message boards for more help. There is some crazy stuff over there too..
__________________
Yes the motor is in the front....
Old 04-01-2003, 09:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Lewiston,ID
Posts: 129
Oh...whats megasquirt? I'm familiar with SDS as a very simple engine management..
__________________
Yes the motor is in the front....
Old 04-01-2003, 09:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally posted by Another944kid
Well maybe the 2.0 ABA would be just fine. But if it's dispalcement for cheap, the Chrysler 2.5 turbo engine used in the Omni GLH's and the Shelby chargers, I know it's very easy to get high boost out of and should work somehow in an A1 platform. GO to VWvortex.com and start askin on those message boards for more help. There is some crazy stuff over there too..
Already done the 2.0 ABA thing, looking for something MORE!

About the Chrysler 2.5 - you wouldn't catch me DEAD with a north american engine under the hood. Part of the reason I wanted to use the 944 engine is cause it's "in the family"...

As for Megasquirt, check out:

<http://www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html>

Mark
80 VW Scirocco S
81 VW Scirocco S
Old 04-01-2003, 03:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Tucson AZ USA
Posts: 8,229
Please do some research on the 944 engine before you dismiss other possibilities out of hand. The 944 has some inherent..shall we say..."quirks" that do not make it the beloved bulletproof power plant we would all like here. The timing belt is very sensitive; There are two additional balance shafts adding weight, and I do not know how the cooling system would react to a "sidesaddle" configuration, since the exhaust manifold and oil filter would be on the far (firewall) side of the cooling airstream. In addition, the 944 engine is relatively long, so there may be interference problems simply geting the steering to work. If I had my "druthers" I would at least consider a VW VR6 in this configuration. It is a proven engine, chains rather than fabric belts (although I do admit the oil filter setup is a bit archaic)....Heck, even the early 90s VR6 is rated at 173 HP bone stock, with 2.8 liters displacement. Porsche 944 engines are not the be all and end all of engineering prowess. As a earlier poster pointed out the 944 NA engine is large and heavy for its rated output.

As for the Chrysler engines, I have had a few of them over the years and found them to be rugged and dependable, with a whole lot of after market (and some factory) modifications available.

Experiment away. But, most important, check in once in a while and let us know how the project is progressing!!!
__________________
Bob S. former owner of a 1984 silver 944
Old 04-01-2003, 04:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally posted by Moneyguy1
Please do some research on the 944 engine before you dismiss other possibilities out of hand. The 944 has some inherent..shall we say..."quirks" that do not make it the beloved bulletproof power plant we would all like here. The timing belt is very sensitive; There are two additional balance shafts adding weight, and I do not know how the cooling system would react to a "sidesaddle" configuration, since the exhaust manifold and oil filter would be on the far (firewall) side of the cooling airstream. In addition, the 944 engine is relatively long, so there may be interference problems simply geting the steering to work. If I had my "druthers" I would at least consider a VW VR6 in this configuration. It is a proven engine, chains rather than fabric belts (although I do admit the oil filter setup is a bit archaic)....Heck, even the early 90s VR6 is rated at 173 HP bone stock, with 2.8 liters displacement. Porsche 944 engines are not the be all and end all of engineering prowess. As a earlier poster pointed out the 944 NA engine is large and heavy for its rated output.

Experiment away. But, most important, check in once in a while and let us know how the project is progressing!!!

Thanks for the info! As I said in my first post, I'm still at the stage of "researching some swap possibilities"... There's definately some cons to using a 944 engine I guess... Hmmmmmm. Well back to the drawing board! Too bad, cause this was a bit more "attainable" than some of my previous ideas... (I was going to graft in the 924 rear suspension from my basket case 77, mount the engine directly to the tranny "mid engine style" - but the rear track is about 4 inches too wide, and the plan just got too complex)

Thanks for the input guys! I appreciate it...

Mark
80 VW Scirocco S
81 VW Scirocco S
77 924 basketcase
Old 04-01-2003, 05:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Verruckt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Fairfax VA.
Posts: 409
When I was stationed in Germany in 1990, I saw a 86 VW GTi with a 2.5L Porsche motor at a car show. The hood was modified (ugly) to make room for the motor. The oil pan was a scant 3" from the ground. The transmission was an unknown. However, seeing the ads in the back of European Car, I think the transmission may have been manufactured by Quaffie. (sp?) Good luck with your project.
__________________
The crashes people remember, but drivers remember the near misses. Mario Andretti

1991 944S2 Rally #951 Rally-America.com
Old 04-01-2003, 06:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

 


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:35 AM.


 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page
 

DTO Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.