Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

1987 944S Market Value???

Hello Boys and Girls, I would like to request your input as to the typical market value of my Porsche. No, I am not seeking to sell it, I am sad to say that this is research on my part in preparation to settle with my insurance company following a crash which appears to have totalled my baby. I am walking talking testimony to the crash worthiness of the 944 design as I was T-boned by another car.

My vehicle is/was a spottless 1987 944S, Guards Red with original paint, Bridgestone Performance radials on Factory 5 spoke alloy wheels. The car has 114K miles and has had Mobil 1 changed every 3K by me and the previous owner. It has been religously maintained by the foremost Porsche expert in the area and in the course of the last 2 years has had a small fortune of replacement parts and regular maintenance. Including: Clutch & Pressure Plate, drive shaft bearings, rear axle boots & bearings, A/C system replaced, Oil cooler seals, all timing belts & pulleys & seals as well as cam chain & guide, water pump & seals, thermostat. I am sure I have left out some things but that was the big items. With the exception of the clutch which failed, the remainder of the list were replaced as a part of a normal ongoing maintenance program to keep the car in near perfect condition.

The only items not working are the windshield washer pump and the rear window wiper. I judged neither to be important since it is never, ever, driven in the rain or snow.

The car was always either garaged or stored with a custom car cover over it. The finish is all original and while the nose has its fair share of rock chips from some high speed driving, the finish is still remarkably bright and scratch free. The car was simply gorgeous. I would not have traded it for a new Corvette. In fact it would regularly outperform (not by much) a local highly modified C4 Vette in our local SCCA autocross events as long as I did my part. In fairness to the Vette, the tight autocross courses often did not favor the big power of the V8 powered C4, but it did not exactly favor the long legged S either which to me did not seem to hit its stride until 4 grand in 3rd gear.

Based upon this information, what is the market value of the vehicle? I would like to have this from knowledgable Porsche owners to use to help inform my insurance company that this was a rare and special automobile whose value was much greater than the age would suggest.

Old 03-30-2003, 11:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
suck my tail pipe

Send a message via AIM to Frank B
buy it from your insurance company, and buy another 944, swap all parts over that it needs..you will not get what you put into this car- out of it, unless you recycle the parts to another 944...
Insurance companies use a different book for totaled vehicles, it gives you the least value for your car, usually less than what a dealer would offer you as a trade-in, (that's wholesale)

Good luck, what a shame.. hey how WAS the crash-worthiness of your 87 anyway?.. what happened to you and how hard were you t-boned?... let us know?.. if there is no frame damage, jeezz. certainly buy it and just fix it..
Old 03-30-2003, 11:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Unfortunately, your insurance company doesn't care about "market value". You can argue with them until you're blue in the face, but in the end they will offer you the average value listed in the NADA guide, which looks like it'll be $6325.
Old 03-30-2003, 11:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
suck my tail pipe

noPe it's not NADA either, they use a book exclusively to insurance claims..I believe it's a red book.... we never had them around at the dealership.. only insurance companies have them, they follow auction prices and fall below those prices.. it's sad.... I was in the car business, Insurance companies are corporate theives and they love to bend you over the sofa sans lube and give you a good reaming....
Old 03-30-2003, 11:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Frank B

Insurance companies use a different book for totaled vehicles, it gives you the least value for your car, usually less than what a dealer would offer you as a trade-in, (that's wholesale)

Actually, when I totaled my 951, the insurance company gave me the average retail value listed in the NADA guide, which was reasonable.
Old 03-30-2003, 11:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
suck my tail pipe

get out really?.. wow.. hmmm.. thanks Todd.. Maybe Porsche claims aren't as debillitating as other cars.. thanks for the info..what happened to your Turbo?..
Old 03-30-2003, 11:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
According to the April excellence Mag. Market update
Poor 4928
Good 5603
Excellent 7500
93 968 interior.
Old 03-30-2003, 04:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

My story...6 years ago...

I bought a 71 VW Fastback for $400 with the hopes of restoring it. It was sitting in a garage for 7 years...faded paint...barely working engine (needed a complete tune up). I drove it for the first couple of weeks until a lady side-swiped me. It took out out front fender, and her Honda Accord bumper was ripped out of the car.

Long story short...a 71 VW was not worth much according to the lady's insurance company...fender was going to cost $2000 to fix....insurance company wanted to total it for $700.

I researched the Web, and printed copies on the collection value of 71 Fastbacks. I wrote a polite letter to the insurance company stating that I purchased the vehicle for the purpose of restoration. To my surprise, they decided to pay me $2000 to fix the car, as well as a token $1000 for my 'pain and suffering'...even though I was not injured.

I guess I had leverage in the negotiation process because it was a no-fault accident on my part.

I'm sorry to hear your pain of losing your 944S. Good luck in your discussions with the insurance company.

Last edited by andrewgoh; 03-30-2003 at 08:44 PM..
Old 03-30-2003, 05:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Frank B
they love to bend you over the sofa sans lube and give you a good reaming....
actually that sounds pleasurable for both parties
Old 03-30-2003, 11:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: