Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
ABS strange behavior

I know that I've got a problem with my ABS unit as it's either got a crusty ground or connection, or is failing - but I get an intermittent warning light over bumps in my 968 (92). Sometimes light flickers on and off, sometimes goes out entirely.

I'm planning to remove the RF wheel liner to check the unit (I think that's where it is, will double-check) but question I have for the team here is why would I get an electronic "assist/thump" sometimes when I hit the brake pedal under normal braking, appears the ABS unit is trying to do some correcting but isn't really doing anything smart. Any thoughts on what to check "while it's out?" Thanks!
Old 11-02-2019, 12:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

you might clean the tone rings and sensors. metallic dust on either can foul the signal generated.

tire pressures can effect rotational speed also
Old 11-03-2019, 04:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

You can measure the wheel sensor voltages at the ABS brain also. Most common issue IMO is sensor wiring getting flaky at the wheels.

It's usually in the front so maybe you can tell from the bumps what side it's on.
Old 11-04-2019, 04:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

the front sensor wires get twisted with every turn on the wheel and all four corners have the wire moving up and down with the wheel travel. I have gone through multiple wires over the years on various cars. Replacing.the lead is rather cheap
Old 11-04-2019, 01:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Pictures

Guys, got the wheels off to investigate. Looks like all my pad wear sensor leads are cut. I cleaned all the wheel-side grounds (was not too confident to do more) and pulled the RF wheelwell liner to assess the ABS module and clean its ground.

Still getting the intermittent light and power failure at speedo. Anybody have any ideas based on these images? Should I replace all these connectors with modern and try to reconnect brake wear sensors? What's the process for cleaning the ABS wheel speed sensors and rings? TIA

Old 11-13-2019, 05:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: