Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Repair Approach Question

I have an 86 N/A that suffered a minor engine fire including wiring harness and vacuum lines damage and no body/paint damage. I have it stripped down, and all of the replacement parts, and am getting ready to put it back together.

However it also has a bad clutch center disk. I am wondering if while I have the intake off, if I should go as far as pulling the engine out the top and doing a head gasket/clutch before putting the intake back on it.

Suggestions welcome.
Old 11-03-2019, 09:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
944 addict

Garage
Send a message via AIM to mytrplseven
This is really taking WYIT (While You're In There) to the extreme. However, you're going to have to do this anyway, I believe this is a great time to pull the motor, do what you've described and replace anything else that could be an issue in the future, i.e. AOS seals, belts, water pump, etc.

Some people try to turn back their "odometers." Not me. I want people to know 'why' I look this way. I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved.

Last edited by mytrplseven; 11-03-2019 at 09:44 AM..
Old 11-03-2019, 09:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
If I had planned ahead and had new stainless exhaust flange bolts installed I could probably at least do the head gasket while the intake is off.

However getting the bell housing bolts and rusty exhaust bolts free in the driveway without a lift and air tools may be too much for this old codger.

However when I eventually get a shop to do the clutch should I have them pull the engine out (and do HG) or pull the torque tube back?

Last edited by djnolan; 11-04-2019 at 12:48 PM..
Old 11-04-2019, 12:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

A shop doing the head gasket and clutch will probably be north of $3k.
You can drop the engine out of the bottom with headers still attached. At this age EVERY gasket needs to be replaced. Much faster and easier by taking engine out.
It all depends on how you want the car to run.
Old 11-05-2019, 06:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

+1
drop the motor from below. even if you wanted to pull it out from above, you have to drop the front suspension cross member to move the engine forward enough to get it off the drive shaft.

first time I pulled the clutch I had dropped the transaxle already, so pulled the TT back. but found myself struggling with the bell housing bolts due to such confined space. lesson learned, anything involving the bell housing the engine is coming out. have that to look forward to on my 87 924S soon to replace the auto flex plate with a used clutch.

doing such a job in the driveway without enough of the proper tools would be a huge endeavor. in the process I used a cherry picker, then lowered the engine on a transmission jack. that is after dropping the front suspension.

good luck.
86 944 turbo my new DE/track car.
78 930 clone project car.
Old 11-05-2019, 08:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911tracker85 View Post
+1
drop the motor from below. even if you wanted to pull it out from above, you have to drop the front suspension cross member to move the engine forward enough to get it off the drive shaft.
just a note, but you can drop the trans and slide the torque tube/driveshaft back far enough to lift the engine straight up and out, instead. no need to touch the crossmember/suspension, if you don't want.

944 trans is pretty easy to drop and this makes for a good excuse to change the fluid out.
Old 11-05-2019, 12:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: