Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to gearhead290
Talking and the verdict is...

LIFTERS!!! I'm so happy. I had one stuck lifter causing my tick and my father and I fixed that lifter. I'm going to order new valve guides, they're only like $4 a peice. Hopefully my car is on the road by next weekend and I'm going to be sure to check my oil every fill up, probably even more often!!! I also noticed that my 0-rings for my injectures are worn out, so I'm replacing those too. And I'm cleaning my injectures. Well...my dad's students will probably clean them, but they'll get cleaned. Maybe I'll stop palying in my car now, nah...that'll never happen.

Last edited by gearhead290; 03-30-2003 at 05:10 PM..
Old 03-30-2003, 04:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

What other tests were done to the car?

Fingers crossed that you escaped with just some bad lifters, but since you are going to have the head off anyways to do valve guides, I would have them check the bearings and rings (compression\leakdown)

Ahhh ha, so now we get the secret, you have auto shop students fix your car.

How\who is installing\tensioning your belt?

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 03-30-2003, 11:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

ummm...new valve guides are already ordered and the only thing I'll let the students touch in my injectures because I don't really want to mess with them (that and my dad said he will only let his best mess with it).

I am special and am going to do my belt myself :-D
Old 03-31-2003, 11:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
suck my tail pipe

Send a message via AIM to Frank B
injectors...... you get an F...
and you geta a D for letting students "mess" with yor Porsche...
J/K.. Frank B
Old 03-31-2003, 12:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
Quote:
Originally posted by AFJuvat
What other tests were done to the car?
................ I would have them check the bearings and rings (compression\leakdown)
How\who is installing\tensioning your belt?
AFJuvat
I think overkill has a leakdown tool you can use with the head of .............

And did I read correctly that you are going to tension your belts?

Good luck
www.edmontonrealestate.ws
Old 03-31-2003, 12:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
suck my tail pipe

Overkill also has rear view mirror sculptures that he makes with JB weld.. hey, he's an 'artiste'
Old 03-31-2003, 01:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

yeah...what's wrong with doing it myself?
Old 03-31-2003, 05:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

nothing wrong with you doing the belts as long as you have the tool and know what you are doing......
Old 03-31-2003, 05:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I don't have the tool, but my dad said that he could figure something out that would work. He's very creative with that kind of stuff.
Old 03-31-2003, 05:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

There is no creativeness involved in this....either it is set correctly or not....

You need the tool or take it to a shop.

(if any of you guys that set it by hand come in this post and tell gearhead290 to go ahead and set it using the 90 degree twist and tell him things will be fine....I swear I'll slap you across the head)

The twist method is only for people who are familiar with these cars. I have a mechanic next door who has over 20 years of experience......I asked him to set it by feel. He tensioned it way to tight after checking with the tool . After he did it a few times and tested with the tool he was able to get a feel for it.....and NOW he can get it in the ball park.

I do not have the feel and I need to rely on the tool....I dont do this everyday and would not trust myself to get it close.

If you don't have a way to compare do not do the twist method.

Please take it in.
Old 03-31-2003, 06:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I do these at least 1 or 2 times a week and still use the tool. (I also use the belt diagram too, but I am anal retentive.) I can get it close by myself (within .5 Scale Units - I tend to go too tight) but still use the tool to be exact.

Can't make you, can't stop you, I've said it (along with others) until I am blue in the face. If you trash your head, you were warned, and you have nobody to blame but yourself.

AFJuvat

Old 03-31-2003, 10:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Sorry guys, no tool, and the car is already ripped apart in my garage and I don't have a trailor. Besides that, I don't have the cash to take it to the Porsche guy here ($80 hour flat rate is kinda spendy) nor do I have the cash for the tool. I just NEED this car back and I need it now. He's been able to ghetto rig a few other things that will work on my car so I think I'm just going to trust him on this one.
Old 04-01-2003, 10:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

suck my tail pipe

Gearhed290,
I'm sure that you dad is an awesome mechanic, sounds like he's an old head.. guys we worshipped when I was younger.. knows the ins and outs of a flat six slant six...numerous V-8's.. he's a gem, I believe you..
BUt what you're pappy aint is, a porsche mechanic. Unless he has (yards of experience with the timing belt situation that these cars present, he probably shouldn't just "wing it". You seem like a neat kid, I honestly feel that way, but don't begrudge yourself a few dollars just because your dad is an auto mechanic... it's not an astronomical amount of $$-chi-ching to have the belts installed or replaced, the waterpump is what lands you bent over the arm of the sofa with your pants down 'round yer ankles squeelin' like a pig. Yes, the belts are important but the time involved (along with the tool and the smartz to use it) are is not as pricey...

Use good judgement,
Frank B

Last edited by Frank B; 04-01-2003 at 12:54 PM..
Old 04-01-2003, 12:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Friend of Warren

Whoo hoo! You must be related to overkill! Don't listen to these guys, especially that anal retentive Juvat! They just don't want to let you in on the secret that you don't need those expensive tools to work on your 944. Most testing can be done with equipment you probably already have lying around the house. For example you can check the tension with a simple fish scale! Just attach one end to the belt, pull on the other end and read the weight which can be equated to the correct tension! Once you get your engine back together, just try my method. Oh I also have a method to straighten out bent valves, thereby avoiding the need to buy new ones, but I'll explain how you do that after you use my belt tensioning method.

Gone, but not forgotten: '86 Carrera, '72 911E, 2001 Boxster
Old 04-01-2003, 12:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to 85944na Send a message via AIM to 85944na
aren't there places to rent the tool? Don't go to all this trouble and screw it up at the end because you were too impatient to get it done right.

Early 85 G-red 944na, S2 transmission, Ice Shark grounds, Cibie E-Code lights, turbo rear valance, 924S gauges, Turbo S full power seats, "Porsche" door handles, Enkei Wheels.
95 Infiniti G20 dark red metallic-for sale soon
87 BMW 325ic Bronzit, stock(for now)
Old 04-01-2003, 01:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Kurt V, what did u set it to?
Old 04-01-2003, 03:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Trevor
Ummmmmm....... He's being sarcastic.
2001 Taurus noooooooooooooo!
1993 325is
Old 04-01-2003, 03:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

One less kitten

Meow SPPPPPLLLLLLAAAATTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

81 924 N/A

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you
still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Old 04-01-2003, 03:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Alas, the kittens are dropping like flies....

{blue face, talking to and pounding head on brick wall mode ON}

Gearhead, you were able to successfully rebuild your ring and pinion - you are to be commended for that - you had a few hiccups with bad parts, but you overcame them and got the car going.

You then run the engine approximately 4 quarts short of oil - no words on how you managed to burn up that much oil...

Looks like you may have escaped with just some bad lifters - I would suspect ring and bearing problems too - just by nature of the engine - there is no iron or steel cylinder inserts - just nice, soft, easily warpable\scratchable aluminum with a thin coating of alumasil paste protecting the aluminum from the iron rings. Flawless when it runs, a potential disaster when the oil system fails (or has insufficient oil)

But lets be optimistic and say just your lifters went bad.

You have put all this time and cash into getting the car to run, why would you risk another $1500 plus in repairs just to save $300 at the most?

Do the math, it doesn't make sense.

I'm sure dad is a good wrench - I know lots of good wrenches - many of them will not touch these cars because of their little quirks. I on the other hand refuse to work on a few makes of car for the same reason.

There is NO reliable and consistant method to tension the belts using anything else other than the tool.

Still probably takling to a wall, but if you trash it now, my conscience is clear.

{blue face, talking to and pounding head on brick wall mode OFF}

AFJuvat

Old 04-01-2003, 04:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

I don't have the cash to have an experienced porsche mechanic do it. Trust me, if I did I would. But I have insurence due next month and I barely have enough for that. I hate the thought of perhaps ruining something else on the car, but I'm going to have to take that chance. I know this is risky. I would have to tow the car down to the Porsche shop, unless they'll rent out the tool which I think I've tried before, but I don't think they would.
Old 04-01-2003, 05:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: