Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Doofus Award

On another board (vintage Stangs) there is an award that people call the "Doofus Award". It is "given" to the person who demonstrates his/her ability to do some really studid *****. So I thought I would start (at least try) the "Doofus Award" on this board because I really did something STUPID. Here is my story.

Don't know if you recall a few weeks ago I was having trouble getting the pulley off the crankshaft, but after a little guidance from "the board", I was able to remove the pulley. I used a gear puller, but the initail problem was the shaft of the puller was going inside the threads of the crank. In my search to correct this problem, I grabbed a 3/8 drive allen wrench socket (6mm allen head) and inserted it in the front of the crank to prevent the shaft of the puller from going back in the threaded area of the crank. Pulley comes off and my problem solved.
Fastforward to the re-install of the belts and pulleys. I look down and realized that I forgort to remove my socket from the front of the crank and it won't come out. I tapped on it, tried the vise-grips and it still won't come out. I tried to back it out with my 1/2" breaker bar and broke the 1/2 to 3/8 adapter. I tried to drill out a hole so I could put a rod in the middle and pry it out. No go, it won't come out. Its still there.
If I cannot drill out this socket that is stuck in the crank snout, I'm looking at having to pull the $*@!& motor out. I think I get the Doofus Award, at least for today. Besides drilling it out, anyone have any suggestions???

I picked a bad time to quick drinking!
65 CSX 427 Roadster
Old 03-30-2003, 05:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
suck my tail pipe

Send a message via AIM to Frank B
ya picked a bad week to quit sniffing glue also....... hehe..
hey Mike, My uncle is a Mustang guy also... he has 5 of em right now.. one is a custom, front half 68 back half is a 69 lincoln continental.. it's a very cool looking car.. it's a street rod, 351.. nasty Beeotch..oh and it's a convetible, laser red...
Old 03-30-2003, 05:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to gearhead290
my father runs a 67 mustang with a 5.0 out of an 89 and the 5 speed. Intake, headers, exhaust, and underdrive pulleys (x-mas present from me), he also has a disk brake conversion in the front, stiffer leafs in the back, bigger rear sway bar, and posi rear end (looking for a 9") . Too bad my mom won't let him insure it, I really miss that thing. If only I had a 951, then I would be able to pick on him in a straight line too, untill then I need a nice twisty road :-D
Old 03-30-2003, 05:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I sold my 89 LX 5.0 convert to buy my P-car.. I miss the drop-top on sunny days..

88 924S Guards/ Black ~ 10 years as a Daily Driver and STILL SMILING!
87 NA Diamond Blue Metallic ~ Gone
Old 03-30-2003, 07:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

You sound desperate, so here is one thing to try. I don't know if you can run the engine, or how easy it would be to heat the area up a bit, but do that, and then shoot some compressed air from a can into the area directly aroung the hex. If you hold the can upside down, it will shoot the air out as a very cold liquid and cool the thing down. It just might shrink it enough to get out, I don't know. You can get those cans at computer/ office supply stores for dusting out electronics.

If it ain't broken, drive it until something is.

Have you spent quality time with your Engine Gnome lately?

Defend Your Joy
Old 03-30-2003, 07:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Pike has a pretty good idea, heating the area up might be a bit tricky though.

I would give it a few good raps with a hammer.

I would also take the crank bolt to a automotive store and buy the appropriate tap - you are probably going to have to renew some threads. Fingers crossed you do not knock the hole out of round.

I like the idea of a doofus award! I think this one falls more into the "oh *****" category rather than "doofus".

Boiling car parts and or running car without oil: DOOFUS

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 03-30-2003, 11:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Can you drill and tap where the hex drive part of the socket is? If you can, screw a bolt into it getting 4 or 5 threads engaged. Then use some sort of slider hammer or puller on the protruding end of the bolt to knock or pull the stuck socket out. The socket is hardened so proceed slowly with the tap.
1987 328GTS
2011 528i
Old 03-31-2003, 03:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

LC, I drilled a hole through the top of the socket, inserted a 5/16 bolt into the center of the socket, then drilled the same size hole through the bolt so I could put a rod the same size through the drilled hole. Stay with me. I put a slide weight on the bolt and used it like a slide hammer. NO GO.

Great Idea, only problem been there, done that!
65 CSX 427 Roadster
Old 03-31-2003, 03:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

roughly, how far in the hole is the socket?

Is there a possibility that the hole has been deformed?

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 03-31-2003, 04:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I'm not sure how much of the socket's OD is in contact with the ID of the crank. The total possible contact length is about 3/4". The hole isn't deformed, yet.
65 CSX 427 Roadster
Old 03-31-2003, 04:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Getting back to the heating/cooling. If you could get your hands on some dry ice, I'd try packing the center of the socket. It will get considerably colder than the crank. When it is colder, I'd try the slide hammer thing again.

If you cannot get dry ice, buy some R134 and make up a little copper tube nozzle with radial holes with the end plugged. Insert this into the socket, chill it, then quickly insert the slide hammer gizmo you made up. When the R134 expands, it'll get very cold. Propane would work even better but it is explosive and toxic.

Once upon a time a product called Freeze Mist was sold. It was essentially R12 with a little spray nozzle for chilling electrical components. It cooled things nicely.

I'd try a lot of things before I removed the engine. Just don't screw up the crankshaft end.
1987 328GTS
2011 528i

Last edited by Lawrence Coppari; 03-31-2003 at 06:29 AM..
Old 03-31-2003, 06:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

If its not to far in there and you are going to have to tap the hole anyway you could probably stick a bolt in there and mig weld the bolt to the socket so you could try to back it out/pull it out. Then you could make a puller that work the opposite way of the one you used to pull the gear with. BTW let me know if you need a hand trying to get it out. I think I remember you being in huntsville.

John
Old 03-31-2003, 10:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I assume the hole in the crank where it is stuck is a dead end hole? Why not tap the entire length of the socket. Then when you put a bolt in the socket, it'll bottom out in the crank. So when you turn it, it will force the socket out because the bolt bottoms in the hole. In order to turn the tapped bolt, the socket has to come out.
1987 328GTS
2011 528i
Old 03-31-2003, 10:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
YOu are gonna need some serious leverage here........

like a 3 foot 20 pound slide hammer..........
mig weld.....
heat and cold..........

and hammer away.

No other option...........

That definitely is an OMG award........not a doofus....

good luck
www.edmontonrealestate.ws
Old 03-31-2003, 11:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
suck my tail pipe

Send a message via AIM to Frank B
I like Lawrence's idea.. Italians always have the most innovative ideas.......ha!!
Old 03-31-2003, 12:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Next time buy crappy tools, they shatter if you bang on them with a hammer. Problem is booth items are probably hardened steel. The bolt idea sounds good, but make sure you get a good grade bolt. That way it may not snap. Heat will probably work best. You may need a welding torch though I dont think propane will generate enough heat. It will also require "The Hammer of Justice" or any suitable 4 lb hammer. If all else fails take the front end of the car off and drill it out.

81 924 N/A

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you
still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Old 03-31-2003, 12:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
Ok ...

My neighbor has a good idea....

but be carefull and go slow....

Get a carbide tip/die grinder and grind away at the socket.... if you go slow you will be able to cut it into little chunks...
www.edmontonrealestate.ws
Old 03-31-2003, 05:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Roger, IT is a cheap socket! A neighbor of mind has a welding set we're going to weld threaded stock to the socket, then try to work it out. I can't explain it right now, but I'll take a few picks and try to explain later. If all else fails, we'll get the die grinder out and cut away!

Stay tuned!
65 CSX 427 Roadster
Old 03-31-2003, 06:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

I would try a method I use to remove spigot bearings. Fill the socket up with grease as far as you can then use the extention bar.

1) fill with grease
2) place extention bar at the entrance of hole
3) give the other end of the bar a sharp hit with a hammer

The force of the grease trying to escape should remove the socket.
You may have to repeat a couple of times. Hope this helps

83 NA Gaurds Red ( Home at last)
Holden/Opel Vectra 2002
Old 04-01-2003, 12:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

If that does not work I don't know if you can get liquid nitrogen were you are. If you can carefully sray sum on the socket and freeze it then either hit it with a hammer or throw some very hot water on it and it should shatter. I have only used this method on pad locks when I have lost the key its easyer than a saw and alot quicker.
In retrospeck use other method.

83 NA Gaurds Red ( Home at last)
Holden/Opel Vectra 2002
Old 04-01-2003, 12:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: