Pelican Parts Forums

Pelican Parts Forums (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/)
-   Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-924-944-968-technical-forum/)
-   -   <944> Door Handle Lever Broken. (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-924-944-968-technical-forum/104450-944-door-handle-lever-broken.html)

neildeshpande 03-30-2003 08:02 PM

<944> Door Handle Lever Broken.

Gruppe:

I removed the malfunctioning door handle from the 87 NA today. The lever that one presses to open the door was broken, preventing the actuation of the mechanism. I'll be buying a new used door handle from Parts Heaven ($75) tomorrow to put in along with new gaskets. If I have to take the door trim off, I'll clean out the window guides and regulator.

Any other things I should replace while in there? Thanks!

Neil Deshpande - awaiting engine speed sensor

Roastin944 03-30-2003 09:25 PM

I have a non porsche script handle for the driver side i'll sell you for 30 bucks. Email me at Roastin944turbo@yahoo.com if its what you need. Thanks

Roastin944 03-30-2003 09:26 PM

I have a non porsche script handle for the driver side i'll sell you for 25 bucks. Email me at Roastin944turbo@yahoo.com if its what you need. Thanks

AFJuvat 03-30-2003 10:52 PM

The older door handles may or may not fit the later cars.

Make sure all of the plastic bits are in good shape - it is a good idea to clean out the lock and latch on the door handle, as well as the latch mechanism on the door itself with WD-40 or some other penetrating oil.

The lock cylinders are removable, so you can change it over to keep all of your keys tha same

AFJuvat

anotherblack944 03-31-2003 07:12 AM

Just wondering.. Has anyone with the broken door handle problem tried that 19.95 part that partwerks sells on e-bay to repair broken handles? (ok, I already know the issues with partwerks.. but have had no problems personally)

Paul Glasson 04-25-2003 04:17 AM

This is a month later,but for those having problems in the future.
The left and right handles are interchangeable.My handle support where lever mechanism pivots is broken.There are two supports,one being used, the other being for the other doors lever mechanism. The pin for the lever mechanism has to be driven out then the mechanism can be swapped around with the other sides handle.I do not know if I have explained clearly, but when handle is removed you will get the idea.

Moneyguy1 04-25-2003 07:41 PM

NOTE: If you want to use the lock tumbler, be certain the key is inserted in the tumbler before removing the tumbler from the old hsndle. Otherwise you will have a handful of little parts all over the place!!!

Cheers!!

ecjones 04-26-2003 12:32 PM

Partswerks

I just recieved a Partwerks repair piece. It went in fine, except the roll pin that connects to the handle was a larger size. They sell a roll pin for something like .60 cents that might be worth getting and drilling to the appropriate size.

The piece isn't a direct copy of the old one, but it might be for the newer model (mine is an '83). However, the action rod is almost identical. So far, it has worked well. Only time will tell.

E. C. Jones