Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Red face auto Transmission bad???

I need some help determining what the problem might be with 86 auto 944 NA.
Last week I was going down the highway at 70 when it slowed down (jerked) a couple times before it rpms went through the roof and I pulled over. I wasn't hot and I could see anything noticable but I limped home at 20MPH with the engine reving at 4000 RPM.

I have another issue to ask about, but will handle the major one for now.

Thanks!
Old 03-31-2003, 09:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Sounds like you are getting some serious slipping in your tranny. You could try changing the filter and fluid. When you do that, you will definately be able to tell if your tranny is cooked. The fluid will smell pretty bad (burned) and be some pretty funky red/brown colors
Old 03-31-2003, 01:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks I will give that a try. But I will be surprised if it is that easy :-)
Old 03-31-2003, 01:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

The 944 automatic transaxle is an Audi/VW. The 087 final drive section mated to the ever-popular 010 tranny. I can't see any differences with the 944 automatic when looking at Audi 5000, 100, 200 repair manuals (including the 200 turbo!)...maybe where the ATF cooling lines connect, speedo sensors, etc, dunno. Same torque converters and filter change kits as the 944 too.

I've read serious overheating usually does the real damage. Many shifting problems are caused by crud in the valve body or governor. Looks like both of these can be removed and cleaned without pulling the transaxle out. A blown 'final drive seal' can mix the ATF with the diff fluid. Not good.

Iím betting with a careful cleaning, new diff fluid, new ATF, new filter and all new gaskets, I may get another 100K outta mine before anything serious happens.

I found a website that sells a repair manual for the 010 and overhaul kits.

http://www.bulkpart.com

Yesterday I ordered:

p/n TMVW003010 VW 003/010 Technical Manual $16.00

p/n 71027 Overhaul kit, 010 with final drive seals (no clutches etc) $31.91

We will see.

Early '85 944
Old 03-31-2003, 02:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Make sure.. the ATF level is OK- the resevoir is behind the trans. Check its level cold, then check again after 20 minutes of running on a flat surface. The level should be right at tyhe indicator lines. (mine were covered with undercoating- a little gasoline cleans that off.)
The AT lines on mine were leaking at the fron of the head, thus causing a los pressure issue and I was unable to get out of 1st gear until warm. The lines are a rubber crimped into a aluminum line- and that always spells trouble. I have the P/N's for the send/return lines below the fuel rail if you should need them. I have yet to replace mine- a little epoxy staved off my leak there for the last 6 months- and I'm still gonna replace them soon. If the ATF pressure drops to the Trans cooler it will exhibit shifting problems.
Last but not least- save the fluid and screen when you get the AT serviced- look for metal chonks to determine if the problem is more serious than a fluid level or pressure issue.

88 924S Guards/ Black ~ 10 years as a Daily Driver and STILL SMILING!
87 NA Diamond Blue Metallic ~ Gone
Old 04-04-2003, 11:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Cebu
If the transmission fluid level is ok, the most likely problem is that the flat govenor is bad/contaminated. I experienced the problem on my 85.5 944na automatic. After stopping and checking ithe fluid level the transmission would no longer upshift to third (Drive). Transmission fluid was bypassing into the transaxle gearbox contaminating the FLAT GOVERNOR (gear oil and transmission fluid mixing) affecting flat governor operation.
Old 04-04-2003, 02:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to todwic Send a message via Yahoo to todwic
Also make sure your fluid level is not too HIGH. A little high is ok, but too much causes foaming and will affect perfoirmance, tho it's better to have too much than not enough. Sometime when you have access to air, try blowing out your ATF lines, in the opposite direction of fluid travel, change you filter and fluid, get all of that crap out. If your fluid is burnt (black and smelly)k, flushing will buy you some time, but you will have to have a tranny rebuild eventually. My 1.55&cent
'86 951
Providing ignorance one post at a time.
Old 04-04-2003, 05:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Well I changed the fluid and filter and found a bunch of metal flakes (a pile about the size of a half dollar) in the pan. So now I am looking for someplace to rebuild it or I might have to do it myself, which I really don't have the time for right now (or room and maybe tools).
I've been searching the internet looking for rebuild kits or maybe a used tranny so if anybody has any suggestions I am all ears :-) Thanks
Old 04-16-2003, 03:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Trevor
What about the flex plate, could that be going maybe?
2001 Taurus noooooooooooooo!
1993 325is
Old 04-16-2003, 04:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
doesnt get cheaper than that.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2411502563&category=33727
www.edmontonrealestate.ws
Old 04-16-2003, 05:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

If you just replaced your filter these filters on eBay must look familiar.

VW/Jetta etc...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2411626371&category=33662

Audi 5000/100/200&turbo...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2411028264&category=33662

same as the 944's or what?

For less than $60 you can get a transmission 'Master' kit which includes: "Paper gaskets, rubber lip seals, O rings, pan gasket, metal clad seals, sealing ring kit (metal or teflon sealing rings depending on unit) Friction clutch plates and Steel clutch plates"...see:

http://www.bulkpart.com/cgi-bin/miva?Merchant2/merchant.mv+Screen=PROD&Store_Code=MDITP&Product_Code=71002

And the 010 rebuild manual is about $16.

It looks like there are are only 4 nuts holding the 010 tranny section to the final drive (diff) section. So maybe any 010 tranny (audi/vw whatever) would mate to the final drive? (Just some posibilites.)

Early '85 944
Old 04-16-2003, 06:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

oh yeah....missed this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2410686102&category=6780

of course they can't be the same parts cuz the porsche part is about 300% more...right?

Early '85 944
Old 04-16-2003, 07:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

now I guess we need to ask wot's the different between Bulkparts rebuild kit for $59 and Partwerks for $195

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2411107431&category=33727

Early '85 944
Old 04-16-2003, 07:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Partwerks in Joliet? I havent used them because I've heard aboput part quality issues.
FWIW-
When my flex damper went it made a helluva noise- smoked white and smelled of burned rubber. There is a inspection hole near the starter you can check the condition of the damper. It usually just goes. I was lucky and it went in my driveway when I was backing up.

88 924S Guards/ Black ~ 10 years as a Daily Driver and STILL SMILING!
87 NA Diamond Blue Metallic ~ Gone
Old 04-20-2003, 07:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Also, when flex plate goes, you can still drive your car. the four ears on the flywheel stop the flex plate from spinning wildly along. I drove mine for 6 months with a disabled flexplate.
'86 951
Old 04-20-2003, 02:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Trevor
I guess I'm wrong then, 6 months todwic, how did it drive and how many miles did you have on it?
2001 Taurus noooooooooooooo!
1993 325is
Old 04-20-2003, 07:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
I drove it just as hard as I was driving when I ripped the rubber off. I drove to werk everyday and went of road trips. prolly 300 mi. a week
'86 951
Old 04-20-2003, 07:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

300mi a week...did that loosen any fillings in your teeth?

Early '85 944
Old 04-21-2003, 04:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
It didn't vibrate that much, it's just irritating cuz you can hear the ears of the disc hitting the fingers on the flywheel.
'86 951
Old 04-21-2003, 11:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: