Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

cooling fans

Iam working on 1977 924 cooling fans .Only the right fan works. I have supplied power to left fan and it runs, checked grounds. car has new relay ,sensor in radiator tank and resistor. Any thoughts ? also right fan runs on low speed only

Last edited by Grounder; 11-21-2019 at 11:54 AM..
Old 11-21-2019, 11:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

working on a similar issue with a 83 944. tested fans and jumpered the wires connecting to the temp switch on radiator.

both fans run when I put power directly to each, but when I jumper the temp switch leads I only get the left / drivers side fan to run.

so replaced the temp sensor but have not had the car running yet doing several other things.

Quote:
car has new relay ,sensor in radiator tank and resistor
do you mean you replaced the resistor pack? I have read about issues with that but have not gotten to checking that yet.

good luck.
86 944 turbo my new DE/track car.
78 930 clone project car.
Old 11-22-2019, 05:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

when researching my cooling fan issue, never could find an explanation of how they should operate.

did find a post that when the coolant temp reaches a point, based on the temp sensor you use, one fan should turn on at moderate speed. and with the AC on, both fans should operate at high speed.

what I could not find is if/how/when just high coolant temp and AC off will cause both fans to come on.

I had expected that when I jumpered the connectors to the rad temp switch, but only got the one fan running at moderate speed. have not had car running yet to test what happens with AC on, or when coolant temp gets high enough.

when building my 951 track car, I ran a set of wires to the connectors for the rad temp sensor. when I flip the switch I installed on the dash that closed that contact, both fans would run at high speed. it is an 86 turbo so maybe it works differently than earlier cars.

anyone?
Old 11-22-2019, 09:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Early cars:
When rad switch is activated, both fans run full speed with ignition on, and slow speed on 1 motor only with key off.

Late cars have 2 set activation points in the fan switch-- lower temperature runs both fans at low speed, higher temperature runs both fans at high speed. Key on or off.

When ac is engaged with ignition on, both fans run at high speed regardless of model year or rad temperature
Old 11-22-2019, 03:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Just thinking out loud

A/C has to be functional too. My fan operation didn't work properly as well, a/c system was good, minus 12v to the clutch, it was the a/c amplifier board. It's under the kick panel on the passenger side.

It's about the size of an index card, 1 inch thick. Crack the box open, find the burnt trace, solder, good to go.

Last edited by mattdavis11; 11-23-2019 at 01:35 AM..
Old 11-23-2019, 01:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Ahhhh.... cant recall now if key was on or off. thought on but will test again when I am ready to start it up again.

thanks.
Old 11-24-2019, 06:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: