Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Fuel Dist and AFMU Rebuilding

I was convienced that I had problems with my Air Fuel Mixture Unit. I was not crazy about messing with it and the fuel dist since it would cost over a thousand dollars to replace them if something went wrong. There is a repair kit for the AFMU but I could not find one available.

So I went on a junkyard saffari and found an Audi 4000 with similar looking setup. The externals are different but most of the internal parts were identical. I cleaned them up and then removed the same parts from my car. I found that the fuel mixture arm (its the peice that fits inside the lever and adjusts up or down on the mixture screw) was installed upside down, and the spring that should have been on top of the fuel meetering rod was missing and the fuel meetering rod had a chip on the bottom. I also found alot of varnish inside the AFMU. I cleaned everything up and replaced all of the internals with the Audi parts. I know that the meetering rod is not supposed to be replaceable but I thought I would try this since a rebuilt fuel distributor is like $800.

The cars idles perfectly now and the surging is almost gone. The surging may get better when the mixture is corrected right now it is way to rich. I may also need to make another modification since the inside arc on the Audi lever is less, and it may be preventing the plate from fully rising. The power band really falls off about 5200 RPM's. I can eaisly file down the lever to match the original Porsche part though. The best part is the whole thing only cost $37.50 and about 14 hours. Those needle berrings were fun to get back in. I think that the meetering rod was floating inside the fuel distributor since there was no spring to hold it against the lever. This caused the unstable idle (the chip on the meetering rod also would affect idle) and the surging at cruise. Well I learned something and the car runs better, but most important I got to spend the weekend wacked on gas fumes and parts cleaner.
hehehe

81 924 N/A

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you
still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Old 03-31-2003, 04:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

CONGRATS!!!

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 03-31-2003, 04:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
I can't believe you have that problem beat!!

Way to go.......

www.edmontonrealestate.ws
Old 03-31-2003, 05:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

where is the afmu?
Old 04-01-2003, 12:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Its the Aluminum peice that the fuel dist screws on to. The other side is where the rubber boot comes off and goes to the throttle body. The air filter is conected on the side and runs underneath.

81 924 N/A

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you
still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Old 04-01-2003, 04:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Great use of your noggin - I'll keep this one in my file!
Old 04-01-2003, 10:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: