Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to TheCooler
Couple Qs

Alright here we go

1. Im looking for a new exhaust for my car. I want a catback system cuz there are no emissions in my state ...yet. So what do you guys recommend? B&B, Borla? ..where should i look to get them and what else do i need to do to the car to make it all work?

2. I CANT get my drain plug for my oil loose. What do you recommend to get it out without ruining the damn thing. BTW ..im strong and i cant get it loose.

3. My damn oil pressure gauge isnt working. I start the car and it goes up to full pressure ..thats not possible and my damn tripometer and odometer stopped working!! WTF?!? stupid instrument panel

4. Hrmm ..anything else ..I need to rebuild my drivers side door ...any pictures/schematics of it i can print out to like fix it up?

5. thanks for the help in advance...ill think of more later...lol
-2007 Ford PIMP(free)star ...company car....
-1999.5 Jetta VR6
Old 03-31-2003, 07:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Do a search on exhaust systems. I bouht the Bursch and it is allright, but I should have stepped up a notch or two.

81 924 N/A

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you
still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Old 03-31-2003, 07:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to 1.2gees
1: Getting a straight pipe in place of the cat would be very cheap, and yield a god bit of performance gain (as far as exhausts go anyway). Some like the noise, some don't. I do...

2: I don't know how strong you think you are, but make sure you're trying to turn it in the right direction... I'm suprised you didn't strip it, if you put a good amount of force on the thing. There's only so many ways you can pull that plug out...

3: Oil pressure should be at 5 bar with a cold engine. It should be lower at idle, after the car warms up. Does it shoot up to 5 before you turn on the ignition? (In which case you'd have an electrical issue). Trip meter/odometer share a common gear, sounds like yours is stripped. You can replace it with an "aftermarket" one. My replacement just stripped less than 1k miles after the replacement, so not sure if I can recommend KLA industries at this point.

4: What do you mean "rebuild" the door?
Ahmet

Last edited by 1.2gees; 03-31-2003 at 08:42 PM..
Old 03-31-2003, 08:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Yeah, when I turn on the car it shoots up to full pressure and doesnt go down, and as for my door ...the windows works but it skips gears and my door handle and lock are all messed up on the inside. Also my door opens too far so i need to replace that little bar or do something do it doesnt hit the body when it swings open.

As for the oil plug i still cant get it out. The socket just gets stuck on the nut and it wont turn then i need to hit it the other way to get the socket off. Should I spray it with something to get it out?
-1999.5 Jetta VR6
Old 04-01-2003, 08:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to 1.2gees
You can spray the bolt, but I doubt it'll help. It sounds like either the plug's head is rounded out, or you're trying the wrong socket on it...

As for your door, each thing you've said is a seperate problem. There's procedures for each online (some should be contained here @pelican, look through the tech stuff).
Ahmet
Old 04-01-2003, 08:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to PorscheG96
Hahah, are you using the wrong size socket? It's 15mm.

Your oil pressure sender is probably bad. You'll find a couple of wires coming down from under the oil filter area. Follow that wiring to the pressure sender. If you're changing your oil then you can replace the sender without much trouble.

As for your odometer/trip...you don't reset the trip while your car is moving do you? Sounds like the gear is stripped. You'll have to pull the gauge cluster out, remove the tach, and get a replacement gear. Good luck!
Old 04-01-2003, 08:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Um, i know its 15mm ..it just wont freaking turn. Ill get it under a lift tomorrow or something and get it out. As for the gauge cluster...that whole thing is time consuming just taking it apart ..its not important as of now..i have more serious matters like what happened today ...read my other topic...
-1999.5 Jetta VR6
Old 04-01-2003, 08:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
suck my tail pipe

Send a message via AIM to Frank B
hmm.. was it overtorqued last time the oil was changed?.... I've heard people wisper about changing the washer after you've drained the oil...just a thought.. could this have led to your stuck situation?..
Old 04-02-2003, 03:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Obviously, you have to get the drain plug out to change your oil - one way or the other you will have to unscrew it. If it sucessfully comes out, change the washer and don't overtorque putting it back it - it just plugs a hole - doesn't need to be real tight because it's not holding on to any thing.

Now another question - due to a somewhat similar story as Mr. Cooler's, I have a drain plug hole that is stripped enough to allow dripping to occur. What would you guys recommend as a fix, short of the pan replacement? Teflon tape helps, but I'd prefer a permanent fix. Is it possible to helicoil the oil pan or is an oversized plug available? Thanks.
Old 04-02-2003, 06:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to will944
Check out http://www.klaindustries.net/ to replace the odometer piece. I have the same problem and some guys just gave me this link.

PS...getting the cluster out is not as difficult as you think. I can send you directions if you need.
87 951
C3 Stingray
Old 04-02-2003, 07:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to JH924S
check out speedforceracing.net ive heard nothing but quality and a awesome sound form there exhausts
Old 04-02-2003, 07:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
suck my tail pipe

Send a message via AIM to Frank B
go to a salvage yard and get another oil pan... preferably one with different baffles..
Old 04-02-2003, 08:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Use a breaker bar on it.
Old 04-02-2003, 08:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: