Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Red face Here's a scary thought!!

My daughter will be getting her drivers license in the next couple of months!!! That gives me chills just thinking about it. And the worst part is today she asked me if she was going to get my 931 or my Eagle Talon turbo to drive!! I'm not sure, but neither one sounds like a good first car for a 15 yr old to me. I offered her my old 79 Toyota pickup and she didn't seem to see the humor in that. Ya know its situations like this that cause my hair to turn gray!! What do ya think, should I let her drive the Porsche or the Talon?
Damn....I think I'm getting an ulcer just thinking about it.
And a whole bunch of German scrap metal shaped like 924's.

Old enough to know better, and stupid enough to do it anyway!
Old 04-01-2003, 04:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

hahaha... she'll take the pickup and be happy about it damnit!...
Old 04-01-2003, 04:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

hmm... quandries...

buy her a 914?

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 04-01-2003, 04:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Trevor
Tell her to get a job. :-) or an old Volvo.
2001 Taurus noooooooooooooo!
1993 325is
Old 04-01-2003, 04:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

let her buy her own car. Kids that get spoiled and drive their parents car will not appreciate it and abuse the car.
Old 04-01-2003, 04:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to stray15
I like juvies idea!

Or you can just buy me a 914.
Old 04-01-2003, 04:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to stray15
Quote:
Originally posted by Roastin944
let her buy her own car. Kids that get spoiled and drive their parents car will not appreciate it and abuse the car.

You should loan her the money and have her pay it off. That works really good.
Old 04-01-2003, 05:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Wolf,
What I would do if I were a dad is tell her she can drive the car she wants so long she passes her driving test in it (hopefully your car is stick so that she fails a few times along with 2-3 week intervals between tests). Then, tell her ONLY in the right weather. And in the summer force her to go to some DE events and auto-xes so she'll atleast have some experience on how a car handles at its' limit.

Judging by the way women drive though, that's still probably not enough...
Old 04-01-2003, 05:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Well, whichever car she drives it will still be MY car. That way I still have the upper hand in the situation and can easily take it away. Plus she wont be turned loose with the car, it will primarily be too and from school. both cars have their advantages and disadvantages...I just can't decide which one would be safest, cheapest and so forth. oh...oh their goes that ulcer pain again

Old 04-01-2003, 06:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Being a mechanic i bought a decent looking 4cyl car for my daughter and fixed it up and let her pay me what i spent on it. Did her maintenance for the cost of parts, and she took pretty good care of it.

She now appreciates what she can afford. She never felt mistreated.
93 968 interior.
Old 04-01-2003, 06:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

We got my son a 87 944, but the catch is that he pays for half of everything (even dad's $#!-ups). We told him we would pay for liability insurance as long as he kept his nose clean (drives like a normal person) and got ZERO tickets. If he doesn't, then he can pay for his own insurance.

BTW, he's been saving for this car for a long time and he just got a job with a landscape company for his summer job. A little spoiled, yes, but does appreciate what he has.
65 CSX 427 Roadster
Old 04-01-2003, 06:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

I told her she would have to get a part time job to help support her driving expenses. She is a pretty good kid-as far as kids go- she stays out of trouble, gets straight A's and at least acts like she appreciates what she gets. The problem with her getting a job is her schedule really is pretty full already, with school and cheerleading and I wouldn't to see her grades drop to support a job. Maybe just a summer job would work for her, I could help her save her money and redistribute it towards insurance and gas as she needed it. Man, raising kids just get harder and more expensive every day.

Old 04-01-2003, 06:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to gearhead290
Let her drive the truck to and from school and to and from work. If she wants to drive more then that make her buy her own car.
Old 04-01-2003, 07:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

My spin on work and grades is simple. If the kid is busy with school activities (sports, band, etc.) AND they make great grades, then they should benefit from it if the parents can swing it. In my son's case, he wrestles so his summer job won't overlap with school activities. He makes mostly A's and stays out of trouble (check back with me next year, I might change my observation).
When I was in school, I could have made all A's, but my family couldn't afford to buy me anything other than a POS 67 Mustang that should have been put to rest (a year later, I finished "fixing" it up). Reality was that my grades sucked and I worked after school. Get the picture?
65 CSX 427 Roadster
Old 04-01-2003, 07:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Gearhead hit it- The neighbor is AWESOME for offering that truck. She should look on it as the great opportunity it is and not as an object that may detract from her "coolness". If she doesn't like the truck, she can start working and buy her own! (just my .02)
Old 04-01-2003, 07:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
What do ya think, should I let her drive the Porsche or the Talon?
I would let her drive your sport cars with you sitting next to her, so that you can monitor her driving skills, if she is to drive on her own, I'd let her drive the Toyota.

The way I see it is, that your daughter is no diferent from my wife that just got her driving licence. I let her drive my 951 and my Fiat Coupe Turbo, while I sit next to her and guide her.

She has to understand that these cars are not suitable for an inexperienced driver, the blind spots, the power.

I'm sure that your daughter will understand, my wife does.

http://www.p-caronline.com/directory/coupe

Porsche 944 Turbo, 1986
Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo, 1997
Old 04-01-2003, 07:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

gt350, I remember the same scenario when I was in school. I achieved really high grades until I started driving & working. Then the driving & working to keep driving took priority over my school work. I don't want to encourage the same behavior in her. However she does need to be able drive, her activity/cheerleading schedule is VERY difficult to fit in with my work schedule. Oh, and I dont blame her for not wanting to drive my old Toyota p.u. its quite a sight!! (bright yellow and rust). And occasionaly requires a little persuasion to keep running, it would reguire a couple hundred dollars worth of repairs to be reliable again.

Old 04-01-2003, 07:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Give her a reliable beater car as her first car. Don't make her pay for it. You said it yourself, school and extra-curricular activities are more important. Colleges are getting much more competitive. She doesn't need to be burdened with a job to prove that she is responsible. If she chooses to take a job during the school year, great. I choose to work during 3 of my 4 years in high school and enjoyed the money. If she wants a better car than the one you offer her, then make her get a job and pay for it.
Old 04-01-2003, 08:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to TheCooler
Hey, wolf ..ever thought of hooking your daughter up with a fello forum member? Im only 17 and gook lookin and i got a porsche ...shell likee me ..come on hook a brotha up
-2007 Ford PIMP(free)star ...company car....
-1999.5 Jetta VR6
Old 04-01-2003, 09:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
Quote:
Originally posted by gt350mike
My spin on work and grades is simple. If the kid is busy with school activities (sports, band, etc.) AND they make great grades, then they should benefit from it if the parents can swing it. In my son's case, he wrestles so his summer job won't overlap with school activities. He makes mostly A's and stays out of trouble (check back with me next year, I might change my observation).
When I was in school, I could have made all A's, but my family couldn't afford to buy me anything other than a POS 67 Mustang that should have been put to rest (a year later, I finished "fixing" it up). Reality was that my grades sucked and I worked after school. Get the picture?
EXACTLY....

As long as I maintained good grades my dad helped me up keep my P.O.S. mercury bobcat wagon............ kept me focused on grades, activities and girls.......in reality I truly enjoyed my childhood..... and I am thankfull for what my father did for me. Let me tell you, we were farrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr from being well off....let alone middle class.

Also on a side note..... I have yet to find a young girl who drives the **** out of her car like a guy does...... so I would feel pretty comfortable lending my P-Car to my girls......(the nice thing...no room in the back seat)
www.edmontonrealestate.ws
Old 04-01-2003, 09:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: