Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

I need advice on making a race car street legal

hey everyone,
I'm just curious to know what I have to have on a car (89 honda) to make it street legal (in ohio for specifics). As of right now I have headlights that work, five point harnesses, race seats ,a roll cage and that's about it. I guess that won't help much. To give you guys a better idea I have a 10 sec drag car gutted to nothing and I don't know where to start. Though the motor I just put in there does barely pass emissions, I still have to take the wheelie bars off, put an exhaust on, turn signals, etc... Any suggestions would be helpful besides calling me crazy and telling me its's going to take a long time (because I already know both are true). Does anyone know where I can find more information??
Old 04-01-2003, 05:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to stray15
89 honda with wheelie bars???

how does that work?
Old 04-01-2003, 05:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Hey, been there done that. Ok not exactly that but similar. First step would be contact your local DMV office they can tell you what is required and set up an inspection time. A signed off inspection sheet becomes quite valuable if you are harrassed later on for noise, lights etc...
And a whole bunch of German scrap metal shaped like 924's.

Old enough to know better, and stupid enough to do it anyway!
Old 04-01-2003, 06:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

In colorado i believe that you need headlights, tailights, brakelights, turn signals, and license plate on at least back a certain height off the ground.

Stray:

The Honda doesnt have wheelie bars because it actually pops wheelies, its front wheel drive! It is there for aero dynamics, when the front end lifts up when your hauling ass, air goes under it and slows it down, the wheelie bars keep it flat and you get better traction to the front tires because the front ends weight isnt popping up.... Hope you get it now.

John
Old 04-01-2003, 08:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
Quote:
Originally posted by Roastin944
The Honda doesnt have wheelie bars because it actually pops wheelies, its front wheel drive! It is there for aero dynamics, when the front end lifts up when your hauling ass, air goes under it and slows it down, the wheelie bars keep it flat and you get better traction to the front tires because the front ends weight isnt popping up.... Hope you get it now.
uhmmm sounds like an interesting theory............but I can show you a pile of 10 second front wheel drive cars that don't need the wheelie bars..

http://www.ericksracing.com/raceteam.htm
www.edmontonrealestate.ws
Old 04-01-2003, 09:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
For starters, you need to get stock seat belts. 99% of the race harnesses do not have DOT approval.

-Zoltan.

PS: And you have 30 seconds to turn this to ON-topic before this thread gets banished to the OT-dungeon! IE: someone relate this to cars that have the number 9, followed by the number 4, and followed by another number 4 on the back of them!

Visit my homepage!
<><

Last edited by Z-man; 04-02-2003 at 06:00 AM..
Old 04-02-2003, 05:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to JH924S
hey

so its faster than a 944?
Old 04-02-2003, 06:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to perfecto951
so what are you posting on a 944 forum about your honda? are you planning on street racing your honda against 944's?

btw, i think stray knows what wheelie bars are - he was probably making the comment that it doesn't make any sense if they are on a FWD car.
Old 04-02-2003, 06:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Z-man

PS: And you have 30 seconds to turn this to ON-topic before this thread gets banished to the OT-dungeon! IE: someone relate this to cars that have the number 9, followed by the number 4, and followed by another number 4 on the back of them!
no disrespect, but i think that is retarded
Old 04-02-2003, 06:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by perfecto951

btw, i think stray knows what wheelie bars are - he was probably making the comment that it doesn't make any sense if they are on a FWD car.
yup, thats why i was questioning it
Old 04-02-2003, 06:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to 924S-fast
sniff sniff, I smell.........
rice
Old 04-02-2003, 06:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Once upon a time, I was bored... so I was watching the "NEW" TNN... and they had a show called "Tuner TV" or something like that. 'Twas all about the new import mod stuff. Regarding the wheelie bars that I saw, they were pneumatically operated to go in the down position at the staging area - they would actually pick up the back of the car. This was supposed to transfer more weight to the front of the car, when the pulling action was. After the first 50 to 100 feet, the wheelie bars retracted off the pavement surface. They were only used as the start of the race.

But wheelie bars would look silly on a 944 (just to stay on-topic)
Old 04-02-2003, 07:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by stray15
no disrespect, but i think that is retarded
Ok, no disrespect taken. I guess my sense of humor needs a little work...
-Z.

Visit my homepage!
<><
Old 04-02-2003, 07:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

the reason I posted this on a 944 forum is because I think you guys would know more on this kinda stuff than any of the honda guys. Besides does it matter if the question is about a honda or a porsche??
Old 04-02-2003, 07:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Ok, no disrespect taken. I guess my sense of humor needs a little work...
-Z.
well geez, i didn't know you were trying to be funny

you should warn us ahead of time before you try that again...

I really did think you were being serious about sending it to the dungeon...

at least no disrespect was taken.
Old 04-02-2003, 11:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
For starters, you need to get stock seat belts. 99% of the race harnesses do not have DOT approval.

-Zoltan.

how bout: i would rather die in the fiery wreckage of my 944 than drive a (honda) FWD 'drag car'

also, last i knew ohio did not require vehicle inspections, is this not the case any more?
Old 04-02-2003, 09:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

I didn't know I'd run into a little hostility on this board. I was only looking for advice. And the reason I wanted to make this car street legal was ONLY to drive it to auto-xes and DE events because I can't afford a truck and trailer. I'm not looking to become one of those "street ricers". I only want to race something I can afford. I dont care whether its a porsche or a honda. I just love racing!
And maybe I should clarify the drag car thing. It used to be a drag car. But the dude who sold it to me blew that motor up. It is no longer as fast as it used to be and is only powered by an 180hp motor.
And yes mom, Ohio does require emmisions for certain counties.
Old 04-03-2003, 08:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Custom User Title

I know I had to get an E-Check (in Cincinnati)
Old 04-03-2003, 09:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
i hope u don't think i am being hostile
Old 04-03-2003, 09:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by wannaberacer
And yes mom, Ohio does require emmisions for certain counties.
sorry to hear that, emmisions is taking over.
Old 04-03-2003, 08:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: