Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Tired Member

Garage
Winter Project Gone Wild? ...

... or just your typical slippery slope.

After losing the #2 rod bearing on my 1985.1 NA track car in September, my winter project was simply to rebuild the engine with some reliability and performance upgrades and to strip some more weight from the car. That engine rebuild is being covered in a thread on Rennlist. And a version of this thread is on Rennlist, as well.

For weight reduction, I planned to remove the rest of the interior carpet (rear was already done) and to do an AC delete. Once I got got all of the AC out, I figured I didn't need heat either. So a heater delete, then while I was in there ... ripping out the dash, alarm system, cruise control, unused wires, etc. Now with the car being that gutted, it seems like a good time to replace the bolt in roll bar with a full cage. The cage will have nascar bars on both sides, which means gutting the doors and fabricating manual window function so it will still be weather tight.

Guess it sounds more like a slippery slope.

Here is the current status. Engine out, donor engine (1988) torn down and most of it is in the hands of Lindsey Racing right now. The carpet and insulation has been removed as well as the dash and everything behind it. All wiring harnesses except one have been removed and I've removed most of the unnecessary wires from them. The motor that allows you to open the hatch from the driver's seat has been removed. And yesterday I removed the roof lifting mechanism and gutted and cut the right door.

Next on the list:

Gut and cut the left door
Clean up all the glue and remaining traces of insulation
Repair cracks at the left rear seat mounts (maybe fabricate new seat mounts)
Remove the windshield (for cage installation)
Have cage welded in
Seal up the holes in the firewall left from the AC, heat and vent delete
Install some new heat insulation on both sides of the firewall
Prime and paint interior
Wire in a battery cut off switch
Modify dash to include the gauges I had in the center console and some new switches
Put it all back together, including a 3 piece cross member
Build, install and break in the engine

Working a few hours at night and most weekends, I hope to have it all done by March.

And the cracks at the seat mount

And the gutted and cut right door

I don't plan to keep much of what is being removed. So if there is something you need let me know.

Wife's - '11 Mini Cooper
Son's - '85.1 944
Old 12-15-2019, 06:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
In the Fires of Hell.....

Garage
Glenn, it looks like you are doing things the right way.

I would take out the reinforcement bars in the doors as well, since you are going to have your cage to protect you.

Fix up the seat mounts with some stitch welding, after removing all of the undercoating in that area. I had to do that on the '88 shell I swapped to after my car was totaled when I messed up.

I would not worry too much about adding heat shielding on the firewall afterwards - I have not done it on any of the 3 924's I have built.

Now is a good time to upgrading the suspension points with Delrin/Urethane if you haven't already. Also, urethane your transmission mount if it's the single piece design.

Looking forward to seeing the progress...
I can fix your late 944 Cruise Control module - PM for details
Old 12-15-2019, 08:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Another new 4 cyl wasserpumpfer project, and from a guy with other excellent projects here on PP.

Will you paint it yellow Glenn?

best, John
Old 12-15-2019, 08:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Tired Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeffries View Post
Another new 4 cyl wasserpumpfer project, and from a guy with other excellent projects here on PP.

Will you paint it yellow Glenn?

best, John
I kinda like the Pastel Beige. It is an uncommon color and gets more than its fair share of complements. So no color change for the exterior. I am thinking about a brown for the inside since that was the original interior color.
Wife's - '11 Mini Cooper
Son's - '85.1 944
Old 12-15-2019, 09:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I can sympathize with getting carried away.
One day years ago I went outside to vacuum my car... In an hour or so I had pulled the seats and ripped out all the tan carpet and ordered new black carpet to put in..lol
Old 12-17-2019, 09:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Tired Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by v2rocket_aka944 View Post
I can sympathize with getting carried away.
One day years ago I went outside to vacuum my car... In an hour or so I had pulled the seats and ripped out all the tan carpet and ordered new black carpet to put in..lol
It happens to the best of us.

Update: Slow progress, is still progress.
Got the driver's door gutted and cut. I also removed the quarter windows. I hope they go back in as easily as they came out. And I have started removing the glue residual.

Made a decision on interior finish. I am going to fabricate a lightweight carpet set, similar to the 911 RS, carpet kits to use in the rear of the car. The rest will remain bare (but freshened) Pastel Beige paint. Perhaps with the cage painted brown.

Wife's - '11 Mini Cooper
Son's - '85.1 944
Old 12-23-2019, 06:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Tired Member

Garage
Removed the windshield yesterday. Not a super fun project. The hard part is removing the trim. First you pull out the rubber seals between the aluminum trim and the glass. That was easy. But that revels the challenge. There are a bunch of spring clips that have to be slid to one side to release their grip on the trim. I used a screwdriver and gentle tapping to get them to move. The top clip on both sides was rusted. So I ended up destroying those ($8 to $10 each). One trick I found was to dig out the windshield glue from around the clip before trying to move it.

Once the clips are out, the trim can be pulled off, carefully. The driver's side had a ton of windshield glue that made it more challenging.

Getting at the clips on the top piece of trim was virtually impossible. Fortunately, using an interior trim tool and working gently from one end to the other, I was able to remove it without loosening the clips.

Next was to use my new Harbor Freight windshield removal tool (a wire between two handles) to cut the glue so I could lift off the glass.
The glass was pressed so tight to the frame that in trying to feed the wire through, I cracked the windshield.
Then when I completed running the wire around the windshield, I found that the windshield glue hadn't completely released its grip. And in trying to lift off the now cracked windshield, I cracked it again.

Lessons learned: take your time, don't force it, or better yet, hire someone else to remove the windshield.

I will have the new windshield installed by a pro. Fortunately, it appears new windshields are not horribly expensive.

Next is to remove all the leftover adhesive. That will not be a fun job, either. However, I did discover while trying to clean that crap off my hands, that WD-40 dissolves it.
Wife's - '11 Mini Cooper
Son's - '85.1 944
Old 12-26-2019, 05:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Tired Member

Garage
Well, life got in the way again and not much progress has been made. But the little I have completed brings me to a milestone. The car is now ready for the cage install. Cage kit will be shipped to my installer this week and I plan to take the car to him this weekend, before life takes me away from the project again for a few weeks.

Also got good news from Mike at Lindsey Racing. They have finished all the work and they were just about ready to ship it all to me. But I stopped him. Since life is eating up more time than I had allotted for, I'm going to have Mike assemble the short block and bolt on the head before shipping it. So, I've got a few more parts to pack up so he can do that job. He has done so much already that going the rest of the way wasn't that much more.
Wife's - '11 Mini Cooper
Son's - '85.1 944
Old 01-13-2020, 05:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Mike and Dave are great to work with. just talked to them for more parts for rebuilding my 951/DE engine. working to have it ready for the DE season.

not gutting the 951, but for my 930 .....

86 944 turbo my new DE/track car.
78 930 clone project car.
Old 01-14-2020, 07:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: