Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to TheCooler
wow the story of today

Well i was going over to my local autozone to pick up some stupid car stuff when sudenly i see a huge thing of smoke coming from the back of my car and i can smell burnt oil. So i roll into the autozone parking look and turn off my engine. I look under my car and see oil just spilling out so im like wtf?! I open up my hood and look around on the engine and i see the problem. I dont know the correct name of the part but its at the back of the engine towards the battery and it on the head at the end. Well, its a little cap that attached to the head by 3 10mm bolts and it ALL LOOSE! So i take a closer look and move it around when i see the gasket ..its alll cracked..so im like "damn what to do now? So i go in and talk to some guy in autozone and ask if they have the part ...of course they dont ..and no other places around there do either. So 5 mins later of my just pacing around this guy comes up to me and hes like ..."you can make ur own gasket!" and im like "uhhhh?" he gets me the stuff and hes like "this is hjow we did it in jamaica" and i got kinda scared right there. But i go with it cuz i dont want to get towed and it doesnt seem like a major gasket. After 20 mins of hard work i made the gasket! I was amazed, i got some sylicone stuff the guy told me to put on it and put it all back together and started up the car to see how it went. I reved it up a little and drove it around the parking lot. Everything was fine. I really do hate hack jobs..but it saved me 105 dollar towing fee.....but anyways whats the exact name of that gasket...and can i get it from pelican?
-2007 Ford PIMP(free)star ...company car....
-1999.5 Jetta VR6
Old 04-01-2003, 09:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Do a search on ebay and there are a lot of companies that sell rolls and rolls of gasket sheet that you can buy from them.

-Gus.
pictures
Old 04-01-2003, 10:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I think you are talking about the gasket for the lifting hook on the back of the cam tower.

look here:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/944/944_parts/944_83-85.htm

See if you can find a picture of what you are talking about.

Pelican probably sells it.

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 04-01-2003, 10:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to perfecto951
hey, AFJuvat. that link you just posted is really helpful, but is there a reference to the numbers in the images anywhere? that would be uber-helpful!
Old 04-02-2003, 03:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

THere isn't a reference online unfortunately, if you have the parts and technical catelog, it has the same drawings with part numbers and descriptions.

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 04-02-2003, 03:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
suck my tail pipe

Send a message via AIM to Frank B
Like that was like. cool cuz like it was a cool like thing cooler... hehe J/K..like y'know?
Old 04-02-2003, 03:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

What was the product you made the gasket with?

Just curious, you never know when a good homeade gasket will come in handy

-S
-
- Web Master & Used Part Guru From
- www.stuttgartparthaus.com
------------------------------------------------
Old 04-02-2003, 05:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
how do you know the tow bill would have been $105?? lol lol lol looolol
just kidding!!
Old 04-02-2003, 05:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
years ago, while driving a trailer load of trash to the dump, pulling the trailer in my 46 willys jeep, i get the trash unloaded from the trailer, and am ready to head out, when i cant get the ol jeep to start. i check the glass bowl on the fuel pump, and its full of crud. i remove it to clean it out, and the original gasket fragments. it only lasted about35 years. so i am about to be buried by the buldozers burying the trash as it comes in, with big smelly trucks all around me dumping more garbage, trying to find a piece of trash about the right consistency to make a gasket, when suddenly, the clouds open up, and a pickup truck with a dump bed with an auto parts logo on the side backs in next to me and dumps an entire load of old stock gaskets and auto parts next to me and the willys. i could hardly keep from laughing as i picked up several of the correct gasket, installed one, picked up a trailer load of "old" auto parts, and headed merrily on my way. the LORD certainly works in mysterious ways!!
Old 04-02-2003, 05:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
suck my tail pipe

Send a message via AIM to Frank B
Nice, I had a 59 willy's.. I miss it.. sort of...what I don't miss is it's top speed of 43 mph...or the lack of a steering stabilizer.. or the brutal suspension.. or the metal interior..... or the lack of heat....or the lack of a good sound system....or the leaks.....or the squeaks...but I do miss it....
Frank B
Old 04-02-2003, 10:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by TSNAPCRACKLEPOP
how do you know the tow bill would have been $105?? lol lol lol looolol
just kidding!!
I called my brother and got price quotes you jagoff!

Frank, ill get you for that one.

Sternn, rubber fiber

AFJuvat, http://www.pelicanparts.com/944/944_parts/944_83-85/pic23.jpg part # 9 on that page is the gasket im talkinga bout ...its on the bottem right

anyone know what part that is?
-1999.5 Jetta VR6

Last edited by TheCooler; 04-02-2003 at 11:16 AM..
Old 04-02-2003, 10:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
my brothers give me free tows, cept for the beer.
Old 04-02-2003, 11:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I'm still intrigued as to how to make ones own gaskets. Call me crazy, but I think it's kinda cool. You just pour it out and mold it with your hand? Or do you pour it in the actual pipe you need the gasket on?

-S
-
- Web Master & Used Part Guru From
- www.stuttgartparthaus.com
------------------------------------------------
Old 04-02-2003, 11:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
i just draw it out on gasket material you can buy, and exacto knife, and sharpened copper tubing to punch the holes. i never use silicone blue stuff. this is for small stuff, like pump gaskets, not metal clad head gasket, but i could if i had to!!
Old 04-02-2003, 11:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

If you've made your own gasket out of proper gasket paper and put sealant on as welll, there's nothing wrong with the job you've done!

Mark
Old 04-02-2003, 11:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Yeah thats what i did. It comes in a roll of like 3 sq feet or something and u just exacto the old gasket as good as you can and you have a new gasket. I really need to change the gasket to the OE one though..anyone know the name of the part??
-1999.5 Jetta VR6
Old 04-02-2003, 11:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

I did mark, but i just feel safer with the real one. I dunno im sure most you guys would too.
-1999.5 Jetta VR6
Old 04-02-2003, 11:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to todwic Send a message via Yahoo to todwic
Quote:
Originally posted by Frank B
Nice, I had a 59 willy's.. I miss it.. sort of...what I don't miss is it's top speed of 43 mph...or the lack of a steering stabilizer.. or the brutal suspension.. or the metal interior..... or the lack of heat....or the lack of a good sound system....or the leaks.....or the squeaks...but I do miss it....
Frank B
I had a '59, too! I hardly noticed the 43mph gov in Arkansas, that sumbeach would climb a tree if it could get traction. It had the original 29&frac12 ply run over a spinning skilsaw and not hit air tires. Had it for 3 years and I truely miss that jeep. Had a tow hitch on the front so I could tow it to the mtn. of choice, jerry full of gas in the back and a couple of freinds and it was a day or weekend of making new trails through honeysuckles, briars, small trees, ANYWHERE I HAD A YEARN TO POINT 'ER! Never once did I get stuck or had to turn around unless I was running low on beer. Gas, I mean gas.
'86 951
Providing ignorance one post at a time.
Old 04-02-2003, 06:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to todwic Send a message via Yahoo to todwic
Oh yeah, I used the paper make a gasket and sensor safe silicone on my water pump when I rebuilt my 2.5L this winter.
'86 951
Providing ignorance one post at a time.
Old 04-02-2003, 06:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

On one of my old volvo's we once made a gasket out of cereal box card board. It was just to get us home, but It actually stayed in their for about a year leak free before I finally replaced it. hehe

1994 Grand Cherokee
6inch Lift, 33" TSL'S
Old 04-02-2003, 06:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: