Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Exclamation What is that smell?

Hello everyone. I'm new to these boards, i joined up because i have got myself a 1982 924 Carrera GT.

I have a few questions that i would like help with if you could spear the time. the first one is : while driving after about 10 - 15 minutes, i always think i'm driving past someones bonfire except it smells like burning carbon, this is coming from the car but i don't know where? it's really bad. I keep imagining the car will burst into flames.

(2) the rear demister seems to have stopped working but the little light on the switch is on and the wires on the boot struts are ok. What fuses/relay should i look at?

(3) The rear wiper doesn't work at all, would this be related to the rear demister? again, what fuses? I don't have the skills to follow a wiring diagram.

lastly, the passenger side window motor is clicking but not moving, could this be seized?

Cheers!
Old 04-02-2003, 06:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Dez. I carry a fire extinguisher at all times. Just a thought.
If the car is properly warm when the smell occurs it may be crud on the engine- oil spill, leaking gasket.. See if you can pinpoint the origin- I'm assuming its from the engine bay.
You may want to check the exhaust for bits of crud laying on top of the pipe and smoldering as well.

88 924S Guards/ Black ~ 10 years as a Daily Driver and STILL SMILING!
87 NA Diamond Blue Metallic ~ Gone
Old 04-02-2003, 07:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Cebu
Do not over fill the engine with oil. My experience is when the oil level is right at the top of full mark, I get that diesel burning smell on hard acceleration. At half quart low, I do not get the smell. Another is a partially clogged catalytical converter restricting exhaust flow, thus high engine cylinder temperature, high crancase presure and emission blowby.
Old 04-02-2003, 08:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

1. Could be a small oil leak that is getting on the headers.

2. Quit eating at Taco Hell.
Old 04-02-2003, 08:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Pam B
Oh, god, it sounds like the horror stories with Frank's car, right down to the windshield wiper....

Welcome to the board! There are many good people on here, many of which can offer you their 2 cents on what's wrong with your car and how to fix it. You should listen to them...they usually know what they're talking about!!

Welcome!

Pam B.
Old 04-02-2003, 09:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Had the car been sitting for a while before you started driving It? I've seen rodent nests in the engine compartment in cars that have been sitting idle. They do have a different smell when they get hot (broiled swamp rar anyone?).

Steve Frew
Old 04-02-2003, 10:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to todwic Send a message via Yahoo to todwic
Quote:
Originally posted by Pam B

Welcome to the board! There are many good people on here, many of which can offer you their 2 cents on what's wrong with your car and how to fix it. You should listen to them...they usually know what they're talking about!!

Welcome!

Pam B.
Exept me. Don't listen to my advice, unless it's this bit here. I wouldn't even give this wash much credence tho. Matter of fact, just forget you even read this. Welcome, tho. Yeah, that's the part you should read. "Welcome to the board!"
'86 951
Providing ignorance one post at a time.
Old 04-02-2003, 06:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Welcome to the BBS.

Demister and rear wiper: Definately check the fuses\relays. Unfortuantely, I do not have a fuse box diagram available for the 924 series.

Carbon smell: This is going to require a little bit of troubleshooting on your part and a little more information

Could you categorize the smell a bit more: Wood, Oil, electrical, plastic,

Is the engine smoking at all?

What are your engine temps reading?

Any odd whine or growling noises?

Rough idea as to where the smell is coming from? (through the vents, in the cabin etc.)

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 04-02-2003, 10:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

thanks everyone for your help and for the warm greeting Pam.. I'm gonna buy a fire extinguisher this weekend to be on the safe side! Fortunatley we don't have Taco bell over here in the UK so thats a no go profssr2017 although i will check for oil leaks. The smell resembles the inside of burning exhaust really....I used to do a lot of welding (exhausts etc) and the smell brings back memorys of burning holes in exhausts.. not sure what to do except throw a match at it and see what part doesn't burn. (as it would be burned already)

But i'll have a closer look this weekend and come back with more info. The weather has improved so it's parked up in favour of the bike at the moment. (and it's a thirsty brute as well)

cheers and have a nice weekend.
Old 04-03-2003, 01:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

The seal for the rear hatch may be bad. It is supposed to be a one peice seal but the foam rubber peice will separate for the hard ribbed rubber side. Exhaust get in to the passanger compartment. While driving with widows and sunroof closed make sure the fresh air blower is on and the vents are open. It should create enough positive pressure to keep the car from sucking in the exhaust fumes. If this works replace the rear hatch seal its about $80 US.

Purchase the Haynes manual it has the factory wiring diagrams.

AF it right about relays and fuses electrical problems are common on our 20 year old cars. You may not currently have the skills to follow a wiring diagram, but you will soon learn. Or learn to pay pay $80 an hour. I prefer to buy tools than to pay my mechanic. Clean all your contacts and buy a multimeeter you will be using it alot.

Rear defroster can stop working if the lines on the rear window are scratched. The paint has metal in it and it heats up when current is applied. Also check connections there are two right inside the struts that hold the glass up. Also check the switch on the dash.

Wiring for the passanger side goes through the drivers side switch. First pull and clean both switches. Its easy there are some small berrings and springs in there that are a PITA. It is better to try to clean them first and it works most of the time. Also test and clean the defroster switch.

Ground wires are also a common problem on these cars. Remove and clean every one you find with a wire brush.

81 924 N/A

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you
still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Old 04-03-2003, 05:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: