Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question Lumpy ride

Hi all

My 1990 S2 has started to do odd things while driving whe i put my foot down sometimes the car stutters as if there's no power for a second or so and then picks up again when the engine is ideling it is fine and smooth it just seems to be under hard acceleration any one got any ideas?, the cars in to the garage on friday for a 96K service could this be someting that could be cured by plugs fillters belts ect?????.

Thanx Paul

1989 911 3.2 Carrera sport
slate grey
Old 04-02-2003, 01:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

i had a honda *ducks* with a bad fuel filter that did what you are describing. could be a miss but i think you would notice that all the time. its super easy to check out the wires/plugs/cap/rotor so i would do that first.
Old 04-02-2003, 09:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to 944S Boyeee
Do you have hood insulation????

944S Boyeee
Old 04-04-2003, 07:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Unhappy

Er not to sure not that ive noticed it's in the garage at the moment for it's 96K service and they have just informed me that all the oil seals round the pullys need replacing as there is oil all over the old belts looks like i have caught it just in time they said the belts could have gone at any time!!. of course the seals are only availible from Porsche at 200 pound it's turning into a very exspensive service i think i'm looking at about a 500-600 bill at the end of this, arse eh! oh well its got to be worth it.

Paul

slate grey
Old 04-04-2003, 07:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

My S had a problem similar to the one you described. Turns out there was a note in the handbook saying that the S models were prone to having the plug wires jump spark off an uninsulated hood, causing all kinds of idle and hesitation problems.

If you don't have the insulation, all you have to do is put some on the hood where the spark plug wires could touch it. If you don't have the insulation, check for lil' "burn" marks on the hood itself where the wires may be jumping spark.

944S Boyeee
Old 04-04-2003, 07:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
suck my tail pipe

Send a message via AIM to Frank B
Hood insulation is a good point, but when was the last time that you changed the plugs?.. and wires?.. and cap, and rotor...sounds like you have an issue of flooding and lack of sparky's... pull the plugs look at em.. spin around three times and cough then put em back in if they're good if not get new ones..... also, check the injector temp sensor.... that loves to get ignored, and when it goes bad your car doesn't control how much fuel to spray into the cylinder when it's hot or cold.. that's not a great thing to have happen.. check it out.. if it's not a "nice blue color" and looks anything but a nice blue.. change it.. it's old and it's sucky...
Frank B
Old 04-04-2003, 07:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
I agree about the wires. Many people avoid them because they are expensive. They may actually LOOK good... and may even pass a continuity test... but if they are 100K old... get new ones. I let mine go because they passed and looked perfect... but as soon as i replaced them... MAN>> what a difference
03-M3
http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/castlesteve/
Old 04-04-2003, 07:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Frank - where is that injector sensor located???

944S Boyeee
Old 04-04-2003, 07:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Unhappy

I have checked all the obvoious thing plugs leads (leads were new 2 months ago) ect all seemed ok i'll have to check the insulation when i get the car back next week ya never know they might have fixed it in the garage while doin the service ,figers crossed!!

slate grey
Old 04-04-2003, 07:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Paul, The oil at the belts should not cause any loss of power and may not be a concerns anyway unless you getting a lot of oil loss. Check that you don't have a vacuum leak and also check if the car lucks power (if you don't have a rolling road, you can test for speed, your S2 should be able to do 150mph on the clock, but if you only get 140mph then your are lucking serious power). If so take a compression test immediatelly and if OK, inspect quickly the state of you cylinder head, in particular the valve springs. While at it check your cam chain tensioner. To check valve spring and tensioner you will need to remove the top cylinder head cover which is easy to do. You can also replace the gaskets, including the little round ones around the spark plugs which normally leak after some time. All the above your mechaninc can do at very little extra cost while he is doing the belts and seals. Let us know how you getting on.
Old 04-04-2003, 11:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Frank: wo ist das injector temp sensor?
also when i had my 944 in for the belt replacement they found oil around the pulleys. i dont think its anything to fret over.
Old 04-04-2003, 04:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: