Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Ornery Bastard

Oh boy, Transmission troubles (?); it sticks in 1st gear.

Took the 924S out today for a trip to the park since it was simply gorgeous in Pittsburgh today and I'm all for being anywhere that's not on campus. (Also, if someone here has a red 944 and was in Schenley Park this afternoon, I saw you.)

Pulled out from a stop sign at a fairly brisk pace (not dump-the-clutch-and-burnout, but not granny-speed either, smooth clutch takeup) and everything is fine and dandy until I try to shift into second. Clutch out, tap the lever back, lever doesn't move. OK, pull the lever back, lever still doesn't move. OK, YANK the lever back, finally, second is engaged.

This happened a couple other times on the way back to the parking garage, but not after every stop. I also found that first gear was locking out a LOT more often than it had before (you know how sometimes when the car is stopped, you can't engage first unless you engage some other gear beforehand).

Not only that, but unless I'm being really smooth with my shifts I hear a clanking noise from the transaxle now. At first I wondered if maybe the center of the clutch had gone, but that noise would be coming from the front of the car and not from the transaxle, correct?

I have a bad feeling that I'm going to be doing some transmission work soon.

Any ideas on what's up? They will be most appreciated.

Aaron
Guards Red 1986 951 <- Seattle car (Gretchen)
White 1976 914 2.0 F.I. <- Prodigal car, traded away then brought back again (Lorelei)
Old 04-02-2003, 02:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

synchro ring is gone - synchro hub is probably damaged as well.

Drain out the oil and see if your transmission is blowing chunks. Some metallic dust is normal, lots of metallic dust is not good, chunks are very very bad.

Any more details on clanking noise?

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 04-02-2003, 10:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

AF could it be a problem with the linkage? Just trying to be an optimist.

81 924 N/A

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you
still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Old 04-03-2003, 05:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Ornery Bastard

Quote:
Originally posted by AFJuvat
synchro ring is gone - synchro hub is probably damaged as well.

Drain out the oil and see if your transmission is blowing chunks. Some metallic dust is normal, lots of metallic dust is not good, chunks are very very bad.

Any more details on clanking noise?

AFJuvat
The clanking noise comes when I re-engage the clutch after a shift. What it feels like to me is like on my motorcycle (chain drive) when I transfer from acceleration to engine-braking or vice-versa. Almost feels as though engaging the clutch again causes the gears to complete engagement.

I had someone else suggest that this might be clutch-drag as a result of a slave cylinder problem I've had. (Pedal goes to the floor sometimes, but not completely to the floor, pedal travel is shortened a lot but the clutch still disengages when I depress the pedal the remainder of the way.)

As for the linkage suggestion, I wish. Sitting still in the parking garage, I can run through all the gears easily and smoothly.

Aaron
White 1976 914 2.0 F.I. <- Prodigal car, traded away then brought back again (Lorelei)
Old 04-03-2003, 08:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Ahhh.

Fix slave cylinder first - you could just be hanging.

AFJuvat

Old 04-03-2003, 03:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Ornery Bastard

Quote:
Ahhh.

Fix slave cylinder first - you could just be hanging.

AFJuvat
Just a quick question since I don't have the tools and everything here at school, how much damage would it do to drive the car into the dealership? I'm not going to take 10,000 miles off my clutch (if it's dragging) or anything am I? It would, unfortunately, be city driving which I know is going to be harder on the clutch. Anyone know independant shops in the Pittsburgh area?

Thanks again. And sorry I didn't mention the slave issue at first. Typical beginner mistake to focus too much on one thing and forget about other potential causes.

Aaron
Old 04-04-2003, 07:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Any time you are shifting without a clutch you aren't really hurting the clutch - the transmission on the other hand will take a beating - especially the synchro rings.

Slave cylinder is an easy DIY fix - Disconnect battery (2 clamps) jack up the car, remove starter (2 bolts, 2 wires), and then remove slave (2 bolts and a brake line)

Install new cylinder

Bleed cylinder.

Reinstall starter, reconnect battery

DONE

The tools you would need to do this job involve a $14.97 Stanley metric wrench set (8 - 19mm) at Wal-Mart - biggest wrench you will need is 19MM

Break it down like this:

Slave cylinder: $60 here at Pelican, add $5 for shipping,
Couple pints of brake fluid: $5
Wrench set: $15.00
Couple of jack stands $20 at Wal-mart
Quick and dirty brake bleeder kit: $5
6 pack of beer for friend to press clutch pedal while you bleed: $7

$117 complete

Take to dealer:
Slave Cylinder $120 MSRP retail
2 hours labor @ $106\hr (porsche average)
Brake fluid $10\pint - will need at least 1, probably 2
$332

AFJuvat

Old 04-04-2003, 01:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Ornery Bastard

Quote:
Any time you are shifting without a clutch you aren't really hurting the clutch - the transmission on the other hand will take a beating - especially the synchro rings.

Slave cylinder is an easy DIY fix - Disconnect battery (2 clamps) jack up the car, remove starter (2 bolts, 2 wires), and then remove slave (2 bolts and a brake line)

Install new cylinder

Bleed cylinder.

Reinstall starter, reconnect battery

DONE

The tools you would need to do this job involve a $14.97 Stanley metric wrench set (8 - 19mm) at Wal-Mart - biggest wrench you will need is 19MM

Break it down like this:

Slave cylinder: $60 here at Pelican, add $5 for shipping,
Couple pints of brake fluid: $5
Wrench set: $15.00
Couple of jack stands $20 at Wal-mart
Quick and dirty brake bleeder kit: $5
6 pack of beer for friend to press clutch pedal while you bleed: $7

$117 complete

Take to dealer:
Slave Cylinder $120 MSRP retail
2 hours labor @ $106\hr (porsche average)
Brake fluid $10\pint - will need at least 1, probably 2
$332

AFJuvat
You are right on every count except one: All my tools are in Ohio. I am in Pittsburgh for college. I have no desire to duplicate a jack and jackstands and a wrench set. Especially when getting them into the car to take them home isn't easy. Plus we're not technically allowed to wrench on our cars in the parking garage. And the lighting sucks.

Also, I'm not taking it to a dealer. Independant shop. $59/hour. Got the recommendation from Rennlist. Shop has an incredible reputation.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I need to have the belt tension checked and adjusted too. (Less than 1,000 miles on the belts when I bought the car, need the tension adjusted now.)

Aaron

Last edited by AaronM; 04-04-2003 at 06:25 PM..
Old 04-04-2003, 01:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: