Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question Loss of acceleration/power with lights on

Hello,
Here's an easy one (right). While traveling home this evening, I flipped on the lights and had a sudden loss of power. I have an air/fuel gage and took note that I was leaning out. I turned off the lights and had proper ignition / power. Turned lights back on and again, the engine went flat with no acceleration. The condition worsened when I applied the fog lights. So in short, the more electrical draw the system took via lights and accessories, the more the car lost engine power / ignition and would simply sputter out when I attempted to accelerate.
So what do you think it could be?
Thanks,
Scott
84' 944na
Old 04-02-2003, 04:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Trevor
Fuel pump not getting adequate power do to bad alternator and or battery? What is your voltage reading?
2001 Taurus noooooooooooooo!
1993 325is
Old 04-02-2003, 05:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks Trevor,
I guess I can hook up a voltmeter to the alternator. The 84' does not have a volt gage, nor have I witnessed the alternator light luminate. Is there a good location to connect a temporary voltmeter lead to? Preferably under the dash.
Thanks,
Scott
Old 04-02-2003, 05:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Checked out primary cables to battery and alternator. There was some severe corrosion and signs of heating at the alternator connection. Cleaned er all up and she seems to be spitting out enough electrons with all lights on.
Old 04-02-2003, 06:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
suck my tail pipe

Send a message via AIM to Frank B
alternator regulator.....check and replace it before replacing your alternator, or battery....test battery also... no touchy alternator if you don't have to...
Hey, any squeeling when ya flip the lights on?.. are the belys in good condition, are they tensioned properly?.. if something is leaking (like my car) it will cause slipping of the alternator belt which will cause the amps to fluctuate, which could cause a power issue due to the lack of a spark.. check your coil also.. it may be cooked.. from this problem...

Frank B
Old 04-03-2003, 05:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: