Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

selling '88 924S

here's the story:
i've been trying to sell my '88 924S SE for a really long time.
i finally get someone who wants it and he's offering me 1500 for it.

this is what's wrong with it:
it's wrecked and needs a left front fender, a windshield, a left door, and underskirting for that. it needs motor mounts, new back koni yellows and new sunroof gears. the dash is cracked and the seats need some reupholstering.

now the real problem..a while back i needed the oil cooler seals replaced, and i did..but the previous owner ran it a while with the notorious "sludge" everywhere in the engine. after replacing the seals, and cleaning everything, i find out that it's still leaking coolant and it's coming out of the exhaust. this guy that wants it tells me that it was ran to long like that and that the engine will need to be rebuilt from the ground up. i'm not exactly sure how much work needs to be rebuilt or not. he wants it as a project car.

now, i have a long list of brand new parts with only a few thousand miles on them: new spring clutch, oil cooler seals, wheel bearings, distributor, fan switch, slave cylinder/master cylinder, timing/balance shaft belt and water pump, master/slave cylinder etc...

what do you guys think of the offer? what do you think i should do to get the most money out of it? i have hook-ups with the body man so i'm debating on fixing up at least the body and getting a little more for it. or i could part it out but i don't have really much time.

any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Old 04-02-2003, 06:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

It is a well documented fact on these boards that a 924S/944 that does not run is worth $500. Take the money and run!

1991 944S2 Rally #951 Rally-America.com
Old 04-02-2003, 06:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to 85944na Send a message via AIM to 85944na
I agree, if you had time to part the car out you could make more, but it's a lot of work, 1500$ for a messed up 924s is pretty high, 924s' seem to bring less money even in good shape than 944s and a messed up 944 would be overpriced at 1500. I'm with Verruckt, take the money and run!

Early 85 G-red 944na, S2 transmission, Ice Shark grounds, Cibie E-Code lights, turbo rear valance, 924S gauges, Turbo S full power seats, "Porsche" door handles, Enkei Wheels.
95 Infiniti G20 dark red metallic-for sale soon
87 BMW 325ic Bronzit, stock(for now)
Old 04-02-2003, 07:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
thats an awesome price for that beat up hunk of junk...seriously who are u kidding........

its worth more in parts...but this guy does not know what he is getting into...

take the money and run.
www.edmontonrealestate.ws
Old 04-02-2003, 07:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to todwic Send a message via Yahoo to todwic
I recall Momma ranting...something about "don't drive vehicle in this condition, you'll regret it"?
'86 951
Providing ignorance one post at a time.
Old 04-02-2003, 07:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Take the money and run - run very fast, demand cash if possible.

You've put a lot of money in parts - unfortunately, with the possible exception of the Konis - all of those parts you replaced are "maintenance" rather than "upgrade" and do not contribute to the value of the car (thugh it can make it easier to sell).

I seem to remember rantng about that too...

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 04-02-2003, 11:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

well, the guy is looking for a project car so i guess this would be perfect for him. it will definitely be a project. at least i know it's going to a home where it will be taken care of and put back on the road instead of getting scrapped. thanks for the input guys.
Old 04-03-2003, 04:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Friend of Warren

I wouldn't give you $500 for the car as described. $1500 sounds crazy.

Gone, but not forgotten: '86 Carrera, '72 911E, 2001 Boxster
Old 04-03-2003, 05:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

i didn't think it was to bad b/c it only puffs a lot of smoke when i haven' started it in weeks..but i guess it is.
Old 04-03-2003, 09:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to 1.2gees
I'm about to buy a 924, body is in perfect shape without a single dent. Paint's so so on the hood, not bad for the rest. Interior is in good shape overall but the (cloth) seats have seen better days... It's got a broken tail light, and needs a driver's side door handle, and sunvisor clips. It's an absulutely no options car.

Oh and it's an 87S I'm buying for $500...
Ahmet
Old 04-03-2003, 03:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

well, the guy took his offer from 1500 to 700 today... from what it sounds like, i'd be better of selling at that. last time i checked, i didn't remember 924S's going for that little. things must have changed or i'm just dumb. well, i;m pretty much screwed no matter what i do with the car. what to do, what to do.
Old 04-03-2003, 07:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: