Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via Yahoo to neildeshpande
<944> Oil-Coolant Heat Exchanger Seal R&R

Gruppe:

I found the following article online:

<http://www.rennlist.com/techarticles/heatexchanger.htm>

that suggests the parts for 87 NA cars to include the valve which is $123 (best price I could find). My 87 NA has 150k miles and has not leaked (or the PO has done this upgrade already) so I'm reluctant to spend $170 ($40 for the alignment tool) to do this job.

OTOH, I keep my cars in mechanically top form so they are reliable as can be. If this must be done, I will do it.

Any insight/comments?

Neil Deshpande
Old 04-02-2003, 07:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to todwic Send a message via Yahoo to todwic
Will you miss $125? Myself, I'd let it ride, unless your valve is messed up, not much to go wrong with it.
'86 951
Providing ignorance one post at a time.
Old 04-02-2003, 08:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by todwic
Will you miss $125? Myself, I'd let it ride, unless your valve is messed up, not much to go wrong with it.
Well, it is not the $125 so much as the fact that for the same outlay I could be upgrading to nice new headlamps with 100W low-beam bulbs, upgraded relays and such, which would be a nice perceptible improvement for my daily commute. The money would be spent anyway, but more effectively. I just hate to throw it away. The S38 in the M5 is good for that!

As for the valve, the FAQ I referenced suggested a rust problem with the valve. I think what I'll do is order the seals and then examine the valve when I am replacing the seals. If it appears rusty and such I'll happily replace it. The car has served well from 90k to 150k and I'd like it to continue to do so. It was such detailed maintenance that saw my 88 iS reliable to 220k (@ 100 miles/day) and now still running with the new owner.

Neil Deshpande
Old 04-02-2003, 08:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to todwic Send a message via Yahoo to todwic
You already knew the answere to that, then, dincha? Sounds like a prudent course of action.
'86 951
Providing ignorance one post at a time.
Old 04-02-2003, 08:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by todwic
You already knew the answere to that, then, dincha? Sounds like a prudent course of action.
OK, good! Glad you agree. I've been working extensively on BMWs for a few years, but the Porsche thing is new for me so I'm not sure what the sensible trade-offs are.

My brother just handed this car to me after it would not start and he decided not to bother with it anymore. He put 60k miles on it in 5 years and it was solid till now. After a few weak attempts to replace the fuel pump, he shipped it across the country to me for free asking that I fix it in return (sentimental, I guess) and keep it. I'm just trying to do the car justice.

Neil Deshpande
Old 04-02-2003, 08:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: