Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Turbo making noice ???

Newly bought my first Porsche (and Turbo car).
A have a question.
(It might by a dum one!?)
Since I havent driven it yet (Still working a little with it), I do not know this!
I have started the machine and if I press the acc. up to 2000-3000rpm, the engine makes some funny noices.
Amost as a air sucking noice!
Is this the Turbo you already hear?
How much will I hear the Turbo, also when I later drive it?
Thanks for any answer!!!

/Smile
Old 04-04-2003, 01:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Do you have a stock air intake? Is your air filter missing?

I have a MAF with a bare cone filter. I makes an air hissing noise. When you let up on gas, you can also hear it. If windows are up, it is much less noticeable.

I can hear the turbo spool if I drive in a tunnel or near temporary barricades. Same noise you hear from a semi. You can hear their turbochargers.
1987 328GTS
2011 528i
Old 04-04-2003, 02:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
suck my tail pipe

Send a message via AIM to Frank B
agreed you're probably missing the air filter. But the noise will still be there, just less prevelent. The turbo works by sucking in huge amounts of air, which is what the noise is in the first place. Do you have any insulation left on the hood of your car?.. that will help quiet her down a little also, well alot actually, also watch out for the battery terminal rubbing and causing a fire, you may wann look at options for rerouting your hot lead. Also insulating your hood will prevent arcing on the hood..
when were the belts and Waterpump done?.. if you have no idea, don't start the car, have it towed to a reputable mechanic and have that service done or you won't be driving your Turbo, itll be a big paper weight..
Old 04-04-2003, 05:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
if you are hearing the hissing sound... thats GOOD. Ive driven some worn 951s and they have so many exhaust leaks etc.. that the turbo doesnt spin up.

and if someone hasnt mentioned it yet: SLOWLY warm that car up... and LET it cool down.. Dont hammer the car just after starting it... you will soon regret it.

I successfully put 250k (not a typo) on original engine and turbo by simply warming it properly... and still as strong (almost like new)
03-M3
http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/castlesteve/
Old 04-04-2003, 07:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

To make you engine (and turbo) last :

1) Let it warm up gently (drive gently for the first couple of miles)

2) Use synthetic oil

3) Before you switch the engine off, let it idle for 10s to let the turbo spin down

Mark
Old 04-04-2003, 09:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
even though the 951 has the external (secondary) electric water pump for the turbo, i would still recommend using a fan in the garage to circulate the air... just my $0.02
03-M3
http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/castlesteve/
Old 04-04-2003, 09:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

put a testpipe on, it will make the hissing more noticeable (great sound) and help with spool up. get an air filter if your missing one, and do like frank b. said, take that puppy to get the belts/wp done, or else you wont hear anything but valves hittin pistons..ive heard that sound, and it aint pretty.
Old 04-04-2003, 01:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to gearhead290
I wish my car made a sucking sound :'( I don't konw about you guys, but the first thing I would buy is a turbo timer so that you don't ever seize up the turbo from turning off the car before the turbo cools.
Old 04-04-2003, 01:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

All you have to do is drive modestly before you put the car away. My turbo has 6 years of track time on it which includes 45K total miles since I bought it. It now has 140K on it. A couple of miles before you get home, drive without putting your foot in it. This is not rocket science. Just make sure your turbo pump comes on when you shut it off. Mine comes at least twice after I shut it off. Once is immediate and the second or third happens minutes later.
1987 328GTS
2011 528i
Old 04-04-2003, 02:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Make sure you don't have any vacuum leaks, holes, cracks, etc. An easy indication is a buildup of dirt and oil in an area, check all the boots and hoses. Make sure all of your connections are nice and tight and properly installed. Band clamps loose? Sometimes a "cool" noise isn't a good one at all.
Old 04-06-2003, 09:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

My car makes that sucking sound every time it wants to empty my wallet. Hehehehe

Congrats on the car.

You sould be able to hear the turbo running.

81 924 N/A

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you
still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Old 04-06-2003, 06:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

WOW,
Thanks for all your answers.
I apriciate it.
Like on e of you said, its no rocket sience to take it easy and let the engine warm up and vice verse, let the turbo coll off before you shut it down.
I drove the car for the first tme yesterday and it was GREAT!!!!!!
What a MONSTER.
Of course the second time I test drove it (with my friend in it), it started to drive bad, when acc.
(As I bought the car, I was aware of that there was a small problem with the car)
We noticed that the fuel filter was mounted the wrong way, so I will buy a new one and replace it. I hope that does it.

Again, THANKS!!!

http://www.geocities.com/Pipeline/Valley/3424/porsche
Old 04-06-2003, 09:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: