Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to 85944na Send a message via AIM to 85944na
Porsche Crest Negative battery cables (especially early car owners)

As many of you know, a guy on Rennlist sells wiring kits for our cars, he started out with headlight kits, and now makes battery cables too. I bought a negative battery cable for my na because the factory one is really terrible. (it's bare copper, and it runs from the battery to the firewall, then picks up again later and runs to the block. This route was corrected on later models) So the replacement cable went in mostly as preventative maintnance cause I was afraid my old cable would cause a fire. The new cable is much thicker and looks nicer, plus it is the later style so it has a direct line between the block and the battery. I didn't expect to notice a difference but I knew I'd sleep better at night. Well I did notice a difference, my car runs better! It used to shudder when returning to idle, and after the cable it is virtually gone. I also have more power to my stereo I don't have any affiliation with him or anything, but I'm really impressed with the wiring he makes, and plan to do the headlight wiring upgrade soon. I met Dan Wray, the guy who makes the cables and he's a great guy, he helped me put in my cable too! His name is ICESHARK on rennlist. Well I'm done with my shameless plug, but seriously this cable really makes a difference.
-Ryan

Early 85 G-red 944na, S2 transmission, Ice Shark grounds, Cibie E-Code lights, turbo rear valance, 924S gauges, Turbo S full power seats, "Porsche" door handles, Enkei Wheels.
95 Infiniti G20 dark red metallic-for sale soon
87 BMW 325ic Bronzit, stock(for now)
Old 04-04-2003, 10:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Ryan, I agree wholeheartedly. Iceshark cables. They are definitely on my to buy list. The quality is amazing- WAAAYY better than a stock replacement.
Bad grounds cause a host of problems. Not enough power can do wierd things to radio, DME, guages...

88 924S Guards/ Black ~ 10 years as a Daily Driver and STILL SMILING!
87 NA Diamond Blue Metallic ~ Gone
Old 04-04-2003, 11:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Re: Negative battery cables (especially early car owners)

Quote:
Originally posted by 85944na
As many of you know, a guy on Rennlist sells wiring kits for our cars, he started out with headlight kits, and now makes battery cables too. I bought a negative battery cable for my na because the factory one is really terrible. (it's bare copper, and it runs from the battery to the firewall, then picks up again later and runs to the block. This route was corrected on later models) So the replacement cable went in mostly as preventative maintnance cause I was afraid my old cable would cause a fire. The new cable is much thicker and looks nicer, plus it is the later style so it has a direct line between the block and the battery. I didn't expect to notice a difference but I knew I'd sleep better at night. Well I did notice a difference, my car runs better! It used to shudder when returning to idle, and after the cable it is virtually gone. I also have more power to my stereo I don't have any affiliation with him or anything, but I'm really impressed with the wiring he makes, and plan to do the headlight wiring upgrade soon. I met Dan Wray, the guy who makes the cables and he's a great guy, he helped me put in my cable too! His name is ICESHARK on rennlist. Well I'm done with my shameless plug, but seriously this cable really makes a difference.
-Ryan
Thanks for the tip, 85944na. I checked out IceShark's website at: http://www.gururacing.net/

The battery cable upgrade sounds like a great idea. Unfortunately, it looks like the website does not have any info about it.

Does anyone know the price for the battery cable upgrade?

Last edited by andrewgoh; 04-04-2003 at 12:10 PM..
Old 04-04-2003, 12:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
I bought 2 complete sets for my NA and turbo........

The NA has the upgrade.......and it is awesome! I am going to do a side by side comparison when the snow finally clears.

The cables are top notch.

Its not cheap but neither are the oem cables. (these are much better)

The lights are soooooo much brighter........the dash lights are brighter..........the voltage at the battery is a nice constant 13.9 V.

For two complete cars plus shipping came out to ~1000. (battery cable upgrades, new voltage regulator, new lights, relays etc..etc..etc)....email dan and he will let you know how much it is exactly....

I would highly recommend it. I will take pictures of the things in the kits......... I still have the kits for the turbo just sitting in a box....
www.edmontonrealestate.ws
Old 04-04-2003, 12:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by ae1969
I bought 2 complete sets for my NA and turbo........

The NA has the upgrade.......and it is awesome! I am going to do a side by side comparison when the snow finally clears.

The cables are top notch.

Its not cheap but neither are the oem cables. (these are much better)

The lights are soooooo much brighter........the dash lights are brighter..........the voltage at the battery is a nice constant 13.9 V.

For two complete cars plus shipping came out to ~1000. (battery cable upgrades, new voltage regulator, new lights, relays etc..etc..etc)....email dan and he will let you know how much it is exactly....

I would highly recommend it. I will take pictures of the things in the kits......... I still have the kits for the turbo just sitting in a box....

Yikes....I am in the same position....a 944 na and a 951 to upgrade...this is going to be hefty on the wallet...I also spoke to Dan recently about the headlight upgrade.....

I'm looking forward to checking out your pics!
Old 04-04-2003, 02:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to 85944na Send a message via AIM to 85944na
the negative cable runs 44$ plus shipping, no idea what shipping is as I live a few minutes from Dan.

Early 85 G-red 944na, S2 transmission, Ice Shark grounds, Cibie E-Code lights, turbo rear valance, 924S gauges, Turbo S full power seats, "Porsche" door handles, Enkei Wheels.
95 Infiniti G20 dark red metallic-for sale soon
87 BMW 325ic Bronzit, stock(for now)
Old 04-04-2003, 03:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: