Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

To weld or not to weld a dipstick on this scrapyard oil pan

Hello folks! First post here. Been observing for a while now and it seems like a fantastic community. Thanks to all for contributing, and thanks to Pelican for helping keep these cars alive.

Two weeks ago I purchased a 1984 NA 944 I thought I could restore the thing to its original beauty and drive it everyday to work. This fantasy was short-lived, as I soon discovered the previous owners took no care of the vehicle. French fries under every seat. Hot glue holding the dashboard together. Subwoofer cables hidden poorly in the floorboards. Water stagnant in the battery tray... I'd have to invest so much into replacement fabrics and plastics that it just wasn't worth it.

So I got some friends together and we decided to tear it apart and turn it into a track car.

Problem is, we still don't know if it runs.

One of the issues the previous owner had mentioned was a leaky oil pan. On the bright side, he included a replacement pan and gasket with the car. However, after removing the subframe and oil pan yesterday, we realized we had an issue.

The oil pan we took off had a dipstick tube attached to it. I believe it's welded in from the factory. The replacement oil pan does not have a dipstick tube there - only a hole. Is it perhaps from a Turbo model? Should we find a metal tube and weld it in place?

Ideally we'd like to purchase a good-quality, clean, used oil pan with attached dipstick tube but we're not sure where to go looking. Also, the oil pan baffle (black plastic bit) is cracked on both. Any recommendations as to where to buy this piece?

All the best!

Old 02-10-2020, 09:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

the 944 dipstick is not welded to the pan.
just held in place with a gasket/bushing and the bolt on the intake manifold.

Old 02-10-2020, 11:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
1984 , baffle , california , gasket , oil pan