Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to jtehfreaks
New Exhaust Recommendations?

I recently pulled the exhaust from my car due to my original plan to remove the torque tube, but with a potential move coming up, I'm scraping that for now. I did, however, notice how rusted out my old exhaust was and want to grab a new set of pipes for the car. I've only heard good things about Dansk, but it looks like that's just a cat-back system, and I want to replace everything. What are some good options out there?

My car is a 1987 N/A model.

Old 02-12-2020, 07:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Fabspeed or Lindsey Racing
Current lineup: 1990 944 S2 Cabriolet - Long term project | 1971 914 - Long term project #2 | 1971 914 - Driver
Old 02-12-2020, 10:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Might be hard to find in NE but another good-shape used stock exhaust is the best option, realistically.
Fabspeed is very nice but you sure pay for it.
LR is more basic materials/fab and a lower price...

but changing the exhaust isn't going to do anything for you with a mostly-stock NA except lighten your wallet.
Old 02-13-2020, 06:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Just wanting to get the old nasty stuff out and swapped in with something new; I'm aware that you need to dump a ton into a N/A to get much out of it. I've only heard good things about Dansk, so I may go with their cat-back, but it's the intermediate/cat that I'm not sure about; looks like Magnaflow makes one, but I'm not sure if it bolts to the stock manifolds, the pics I've seen don't look like the Y-pipe will match up.

Trying to get options out there; I'm not willing to drop huge money on this for something made of 304 stainless steel. Something made of standard 409 with a ceramic coating should last a long time and prevent rust too, right?
Old 02-13-2020, 04:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

https://www.lindseyracing.com/LR/Parts/951EXHAUST.html
Current lineup: 1990 944 S2 Cabriolet - Long term project | 1971 914 - Long term project #2 | 1971 914 - Driver
Old 02-13-2020, 09:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
I've already checked LR's stuff, I'm looking for other options out there too and trying to find info from people who have done this. What will moving to a 2.5" system from LR do overall? I enjoy the stock sound, and don't want anything too loud.
Old 02-14-2020, 05:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

The stock system is a variant of stainless.
If you find one from the southwest somewhere where rust doesn't happen it'll buy you another 20 years for cheap.
Old 02-14-2020, 07:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
I just thought of this, but would there be any downside to getting the manifolds and y-pipe cleaned up and have a ceramic coating applied? I figure it should not only make it look better, but add some longevity for a decent cost (plus not a lot of parts hunting either). After the cat, I may just go with the Dansk system, I hear it's very close to stock as far as sound goes, and that new muffler and tip would look pretty nice too.
Old 02-14-2020, 11:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

New Exhaust Recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtehfreaks View Post
I just thought of this, but would there be any downside to getting the manifolds and y-pipe cleaned up and have a ceramic coating applied? I figure it should not only make it look better, but add some longevity for a decent cost (plus not a lot of parts hunting either). After the cat, I may just go with the Dansk system, I hear it's very close to stock as far as sound goes, and that new muffler and tip would look pretty nice too.

I've been running the Dansk cat back on my 924s for almost a year now and it's a nice upgrade from stock. There is no resonator on the Dansk so it's a bit more throaty then the factory setup but It sounds 10/10. The only drawback I had was that the holes in the rear flange that bolt up with the cat were a tiny bit off centre and needed to be drilled out a bit to work. Nothing hard at all to fix, my guess is it was a machining error. For the price though you really can't beat what you get from this

Last edited by matt1415; 02-17-2020 at 12:01 AM..
Old 02-16-2020, 11:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

hello how are those 944 going

Old 02-22-2020, 11:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: