Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to fty
Un-pleasant thoughts

Not sure if any of you are current with the upstate weather....anyway..lots of ice and snow came unexpectedly..guess who was in the 944 with his 9in wide tires.... yup yours truly....so anyway on the way up to see my ole lady in Glens falls(right ouside of saratoga). I politely asked her to check the weather a few days prior, she called her mom and they both watched the weather and it appeared as if it was going to pleasant in the 50's...YEAH right...so Im onmy way up and I start to see cars flipped over with people hangin out screaming bloody murder...so I get off the gas and merge SLOWLY to the right lane...I proceed at 40mph to her house with my bright retard hazard light blarring in my eye...I for one am pissed...risking life and limb....I wake up the next morning..1ft of snow on my car....really noit happy...am miserable all day wondering how I am gonna get home...next day rolls around I get in car...tires spinning all over ice...took 5hrs to get home and it was a long paranoid 5hrs wondering when the back end would suddenly lift of the pavement and send me tumbling into the trees..luckily i made it in one piece along with the car.....Moral of the story....I am buying a 2000 Subaru Legacy GT..AWD all the time....anyone have any experience with these cars? I am paying 15000 for one with 30000miles on it...I keep 944 and get something totally practical(subaru)..throw a Thule bike rack on her and tint the windows and taunt the snow forever more...sound good?

As a side note the 944 is extremely reliable....just not safe in inclement weather but a beast in the dry...
Old 04-05-2003, 07:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

AS a side not it wasnt her fualt...Im just mad I didnt have the jetta to drive up..dohhhhh
Old 04-05-2003, 07:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Nabeel
If its not too late already, you might want to look at an Audi A4 Quattro. It's more fun to drive than the Subaru, and there is a large aftermarket, especially for the 1.8T models.
76K miles
color-matched fuchs

SOLD
Old 04-05-2003, 08:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Custom User Title

How far Upstate? I used to live in Utica, and the ice there is very treacherous. BUT- a quattro (or Subie) with 4 snows on it will be a blast. Used to have a 200, with snows, and people were astonished that in ice I could actually accelerate hard up an icy hill- have fun with the legacy. I'd recommend a 200 if Audi still made it.
Old 04-05-2003, 09:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

The only thing...subaru is cheaper to fix and a bit more reliable....also I will be shot by my girlfriend and parents if I start tooling with another car....the audi will tempt me to get a boost controller and then do suspension work....I will be to tempted to race it out...the subaru doesnt allow me to do this..the most i am willing to do is throw thule rack on the roof and tint the windows and drive it into the ground...I have NO self control when it comes to euro cars..japan cars I just want to get in and drive...no touching this or that....its also underpowered like the jetta was so Ill give up and put more work into the 944....I HOPE.......
Old 04-05-2003, 10:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

my dad had a legacy wagon for the crappy pennsylvania winters (which are very similar to the NY winters) and its one bad mofo in the snow. pretty reliable too. its the only winter car my stepmom will drive.
Old 04-05-2003, 11:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
They are a great buy. Living in Colorado there are tons of them around here. My neighbors legacy turbo has over 215k on it, still runs and drives great.
1980 911 SC
1999 996 Cab
Old 04-06-2003, 08:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Ornery Bastard

Another vote in praise of the Subaru. Just make sure that you don't get a FWD one from the (very brief) period when Subaru's were not universally AWD. (In the early/mid '90s I think.)

Subaru's tend to run forever. Never had one myself, but several friends swear by the cars.

Aaron
Guards Red 1986 951 <- Seattle car (Gretchen)
White 1976 914 2.0 F.I. <- Prodigal car, traded away then brought back again (Lorelei)
Old 04-06-2003, 09:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to Kandid
I have 96 Legacy Outback (basicly wagon) bought it with 130000 now 175000 and only thing I did is to put a new clutch and oil changes.. still runs like new ..
Old 04-09-2003, 11:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Get a WRX. About the same price as that Legacy you are looking at, has HEAPS of aftermarket parts available, full time AWD and 227 HP stock AND it's 4 door (or even a wagon!) Neat cars from what I've seen.
Old 04-09-2003, 02:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

dogslovetrucks. that sounds so familiar. do you frequent any other boards with that name?
Old 04-09-2003, 08:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Ok i finally picked out a cra and picked her up today...a 2000 subaru legacy GT...im very pleased with her even though she cant match the 944 its nice driving car...ill post pictures asap-chris

The end of a saga...
Old 04-11-2003, 02:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: