Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

944 N/A Quickness

I have an 1983 Porsche 944. Which is of course N/A. In all of the searches in this forum, the only speed threads suggest to either sell it and get a 944 turbo, drop in Speed Force Racing's Supercharger, or put in an LT-1 engine. So that's why I am asking a specific question on speed. Is there anything other than Nitrous Oxide that could put my 944 into a mid to high 14 sec quartermile.
I only want to spend $500-750, most likely will get parts used on ebay. The suggestions I have already received are, Bursh Performance Headers, Straight Through Muffler, Cold-air Intake, Performance Ignition and Wires, & Adjustable Cam Gears. The suggesting party claims low 14's with the above parts and removing the back seats. Any thoughts, ideas, or such? Thanks.
Old 04-05-2003, 09:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to PorscheG96
If all you want are 14's then strip the car out and sell all the ****...then you'll have more money to spend on other goodies. Limited slip and bigger rear rubber would definitely improve your 60' times, but it will be tough seeing 14's with the 2.5 liter.
Old 04-05-2003, 09:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I'd say running mid 14's is stock turbo territory. Therefore you'd need to put another 50 or so horsepower onto your car. My best advice to what mods you posted is that a cam gear is pointless on an SOHC engine(besides, even if it were DOHC you'd spend $$$ on a dyno time). Wires may give you maybe 1-2Hp, headers and muffler 4-5, cold air intake might net 6 (if you can make something nice up and get rid of that POS intake boot).
So what I recommend to you is get a cam. Elgin cams or EBS racing make some nice cams for these cars and give you about 15hp. Then after that get a KN and replace the cat with a test pipe. After that you might see about 20-25 hp.
Realistically, you won't run mid-14's unless you dump a ton of money. So if 20 or so Hp isn't enough, then think about a turbo (I know, you've heard it already). But this is the best advice I can give. hope this helps!
Old 04-05-2003, 09:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Yup, a 944 n/a cant really go fast without aftermarket forced induction. It sucks, im bored with the sluggish power, wish i would have held out for a turbo. Sell it and buy a turbo or put a custom supercharger system on yourself like i am doing, bu only run low pounds, 5 lbs should be reliable and you will maybe see high 14's at sea level. You will get the sell it and buy a turbo speech probably 10 more times but good luck with the n/a!

-John
Old 04-05-2003, 10:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

the 944 is an awesome car. however, its not a drag car. if you want a 12 second car or whatever you can pick up an 80's camaro or an rx7 or whatever for cheap and nitrous the bejeezus out of it.
its my personal opinion that 944's are are rare enough that the ones in good shape should be left in good shape. turning one into a car for drag racing is like coloring in crayon all over the mona lisa.
Old 04-05-2003, 11:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to gearhead290
yo mama hit it on the money. If you want to go straight buy a drag car...but the 944 is ment for handling. If you want something fast sell it for a 951 (it'll be cheaper then turning your n/a to be a 14 sec. car).
Old 04-06-2003, 10:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

What is the point of doing a fast quarter?? It is not classy. If you really want to impress the ladies why don't you just buy her some flowers. You will save tons of money!!! Every time a little punk is next to me at a stop light I make it a point to let him beat me off the line. But at the next light I also make it a point to tell him how flat his rear tire is!! The darlings stop to check that tire every time. All the poor girl in the passinger seat wants is for the guy to stop modifing his car and start paying attention to her. I guess the whole point to this reply is not to be mean but to suggest to all you dragsters out there to get laid and chill out.
Old 04-06-2003, 01:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

bulachip,
I think I know what you want to say. But for me atleast, I don't care if my women like my car. The better if they don't actually, because for me my car is an escape from women. The majority of them don't care about horsepower, dragracing or any racing for that matter. So having a hobby of working on cars and racing them gives me time alone and with my friends.
So when someone says they want more hp, it doens't nessecarily mean that they need to impress women. They just want to have more fun with their car.
Old 04-06-2003, 01:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by bulachip
What is the point of doing a fast quarter?? It is not classy. but to suggest to all you dragsters out there to get laid and chill out.
Hey, I enjoy drag racing. Although not in my Porsche. In this neck of the woods a great handling car is not as much fun as a car with lots of ponies. The lack of twisty roads or tracks in this area promotes people to build fast cars rather than handling cars. The only local tracks are 1/8 mile or 1/4 mile drag tracks, unless you want to take your Porsche to the dirt oval track. Some autocross events are slowly creeping into the area, but absolute horsepower still rules with the car clubs and enthusiasts around here.
And a whole bunch of German scrap metal shaped like 924's.

Old enough to know better, and stupid enough to do it anyway!
Old 04-06-2003, 01:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Ok fellas I can see your points. I just have a hard time immagining why anyone would want to drag a 944? It is like trying to add extra leef springs to a Lamborgini to tow the family boat! And it is known that you can poru thousands into a 944 and only recive modest hp gains. Perhaps people who drag 944' should take some advise from Wolf 1 and get a 400hp 150!!!

Again I want to assert that I mean no harm I just wanted to hear a different side of the story! It is easy for me to crap on drag racing being that i own a 4cyl car with 160 hp, maybe i am just jealous??? hahaha
Old 04-06-2003, 02:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to stray15
Quote:
Originally posted by wannaberacer
bulachip,
I think I know what you want to say. But for me atleast, I don't care if my women like my car. The better if they don't actually, because for me my car is an escape from women. The majority of them don't care about horsepower, dragracing or any racing for that matter. So having a hobby of working on cars and racing them gives me time alone and with my friends.
So when someone says they want more hp, it doens't nessecarily mean that they need to impress women. They just want to have more fun with their car.
wait till you are married, if your wife doesn't enjoy your hobbies she will never let you spend the money you want to on the hobbies...
Old 04-06-2003, 03:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Whoa... marraige... I don't think I need to hear that word... college is just too fun!
Old 04-06-2003, 03:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Stray you can't let your wife keep that choke chain so tight!!

Of chorse it is much easier said than done my GF seems to try to pull me in every day. I am still pullying back though!!
Old 04-06-2003, 04:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to stray15
hahahahaha, i had you guys fooled...

my words are words from experience...i'm 21 and in college and single...

but i've heard the same situation happen over and over again...

in my case, i'll have enough money to through at both my wife and I's hobbies...

Old 04-06-2003, 04:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Good then I can say this with complete freedom... I will NEVER be held by someone else's leash. No one will ever tell me what I can and can't do! I have seen my best friends get whipped and I think its' disgusting!
Old 04-06-2003, 05:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Take a deep breath Wannabekiller
Old 04-06-2003, 05:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
suck my tail pipe

Send a message via AIM to Frank B
ZAXX81,
I'm only going to state this one time. Sell your Touring car (porsche 944 n/a) and buy (or look for) and old street rod. You will never be able to turn the porsche into a dragster, period. don't waste the money on any significant upgrades because they won't do as much on this car as they would on another car. THis is a road car, not a dragster. Lok for an old Superbee or chevelle that you can drag, but only and I stress only drag on approved roads.
Porsche's are not 1/4 mile cars, they are 300 mile cars.....don't do any of these mods except for the necessary maintenance.
Sell it tomorrow, there are plenty of poeple out there that would want the car as it is, and as it was meant to be.
Frank B
Old 04-06-2003, 05:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

...breath... I'm just venting a bit. I had my spring break a week ago and my best friend came over from college for a day to see me(hadn't seen him for months). Turned out that his fiance was being a total b@#$h and wouldnt let him hangout with me or our buds. Hopefully I'll see him again, If his girlfriends lets him...breath...
Old 04-06-2003, 05:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

I'll trade a built 440 olds with 600hp straight up for the 944.
Old 04-06-2003, 05:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

that's just a motor by the way.
Old 04-06-2003, 05:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: