Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Hatch release

Hi, i have a 1987 944s, when you press the hatch release button, only the drivers side will unlock, the passenger side will stay down. Is there anyone out there who can help me to fix it myself, i am your average home mechanic, but relatively unfamiliar with the 944. this is a new car to me and i would apreciate any help you can give me. Thank you.
Old 04-06-2003, 10:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Use the key on the hatch to release it all the way, and there are little pins that latch in there, you can adjust the length of them, the one thats not unhooking could be to short so loosen the bolt and turn the pin out, then tighten it. Good luck

John
Old 04-06-2003, 11:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

It can be tricky I find to get it working well. In fact I am still trying to get mine working. I still have to open it with the key at the moment but I'm determined to get it working this summer (too cold to mess with right now).
Old 04-06-2003, 02:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

The large cone shaped peice that is attached to the hatch has a slot in the end, and a nut that holds it to the hatch. Put a screwdriver into the slot and use a wrench to loosen the nut. Then you can screw the cone in or out to adjust it. When it is adjusted tighten the nut.

81 924 N/A

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you
still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Old 04-06-2003, 06:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Ornery Bastard

Quote:
Originally posted by Roger Hall
The large cone shaped peice that is attached to the hatch has a slot in the end, and a nut that holds it to the hatch. Put a screwdriver into the slot and use a wrench to loosen the nut. Then you can screw the cone in or out to adjust it. When it is adjusted tighten the nut.
The pins in my car don't have slots. I had to grab them with Vise-Grips. Also, the PO had one cross-threaded. Yay. It's one of those very simple procedures that can give you major headaches because it seems too simple to give you the problems that it does.

Aaron
Guards Red 1986 951 <- Seattle car (Gretchen)
White 1976 914 2.0 F.I. <- Prodigal car, traded away then brought back again (Lorelei)
Old 04-06-2003, 09:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
GOOD LUCK. I spent many months adjusting..... If you get it to release properly, then likely your hatch will rattle over bumps. It is really one of the bad designs of this car... or rather unique.
03-M3
http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/castlesteve/
Old 04-07-2003, 05:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
I am reading all of these posts and reliving in my mind this same issue. And it did take me about 3 months to get it correct, in the end the combination of very minor adjustments and a new hatch seal did the trick!

My opener now works great, and the hatch does not rattle.
1980 911 SC
1999 996 Cab
Old 04-07-2003, 06:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I had two hatch issues, here's how I fixed them:
1) The hatch cable was not tight enough so the motor would hum and it would spin but it would not release the hatch. I adjusted the two bolts (one locks it into place, the other adjusts it) so the cable was taught.
2) I couldn't get the key to turn in the hatch, because the metal arms going to each lock on either side of the hatch was out of adjustment. I took off each metal arm at the lock (very easy) and rotated it to either lengthen it or shorten it -- can't remember now. Just keep in mind to not over adjust it or you'll break some pieces and parts. I think I did one or two rotations at the most between testing.

It took me an afternoon and now all is well.

Good luck.
Old 04-09-2003, 08:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Correction: the two bolts I mentioned in #1-- I meant two nuts and they hold the hatch motor in place.
Old 04-09-2003, 08:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: