Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question question about new clutch slipping

Hi everyone,

I've been watching this board for a few weeks but this is my first post. Great forum you've got here!!

I recently bought a 1985.5 944 in Baltimore, MD and drove it back to Burlington, VT. The previous owner had a ton of work done including timing belt and clutch. The clutch was replaced in California at a Porsche shop right before he drove the car back to Maryland (3,000 miles). He got in an accident (all cosmetic, no mechanical damage) right after he got to Maryland and bought a Boxter. The car sat for a year and a half and he finally decided to sell it. I bought it and drove it back to VT.

Anyway on the way home I noticed the clutch was slipping. Seemed bad at first, then it got a little better. Later that day it was perfect, could not get it to slip. The next day it slipped a little in the morning, and was fine after that. It slipped a little intermittently the rest of the day until I got home. The car has sat sense. I'm not going to drive it until the bodywork is done.

I thought the guy might have been lying about the clutch, but I found a receipt in the service history for a complete replacement clutch and new master cylinder about 3500 miles ago. I spoke to him and he said the clutch did slip a little on the way home from California, but only when he really got on it so he just drove normally and it was fine. He wrecked it right after he got home so it sat sense. I was definitely not driving hard when it slipped for me.

Sorry this post is so long but does anyone have any ideas or ever heard of this sort of problem? I thought maybe a little surface crud on the flywheel, but it seems intermittent. I thought maybe a clutch cable sticking, but it's my understanding that the car has a hydraulic clutch.

Thanks for any help!!

1985.5 944
Dodge Viper Blue on black/tan
white face gauges
throttle cam
short shift kit
Old 04-06-2003, 03:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Since you have a new clutch I will go out on a limb here and tell you that my 85.5 had a slipping clutch, and it was not clutch hardware related. In fact it was the heater valve right above the bellhousing. It would leak coolant onto the clutch and cause it to slip until it burned off.

This of course does not sound like your problem since you did not mention coolant loss, or a burning coolant smell. But its a place to start.
1980 911 SC
1999 996 Cab
Old 04-06-2003, 04:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

It might be the dreaded...rear main... , hope its' not though.
Old 04-06-2003, 05:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies guys.

Scott R - that sounds like a real possibility. I kept an eye on the coolant gauge all the way home, it ran nice and cool, but I only took a quick glance at the coolant level durring the one fuel stop on the way home. As it is a new car to me, I have no idea where the coolant level normally runs, and could be leaking a bit.

Wannaberacer, I also thought about that but I would suspect the porsche shop in california would have picket up on a rear main leaking. Also, seems that once oil gets on the clutch it would not clear up (the way water would) once it gets warm.

Thanks for the replies, please post any other ideas anyone has!

1985.5 944
white face gauges
throttle cam
short shift kit
Old 04-06-2003, 05:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
suck my tail pipe

Send a message via AIM to Frank B
I'd consider what ScottR said.. that's a realistic probability.
Old 04-06-2003, 05:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Welcome

Does the pedel feel normal. I belive there is an adjustment for the pedal and one for the clutch also. If they are adjusted to tight the clutch will not engage fully.

81 924 N/A

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you
still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Old 04-06-2003, 05:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Yea, thats right AFjuvat was telling someone how all he did was adjust the clutch pedal travel the other day and it fixed that.

Now where was that post....
1980 911 SC
1999 996 Cab
Old 04-06-2003, 05:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
Yup.... I would second the pedal travel.

I just changed my clutch....bled it completely and the pedal still had too much play (like an inch and a half)....giving me 'a slipping clutch feel'

You should have about 3 mm of play at the pedal before engaging which is nothing.

You can adjust it at the pedal, unhook it turn the plunger on the slave ...its an easy adjustment....

Hopefully thats it.
www.edmontonrealestate.ws
Old 04-06-2003, 05:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Well I checked the heater valve and it looks like it was recently replaced. There was something in the receipts about the climate control system replaced, and a heater valve as well. The clamps also look new, so does the hose. There is no sign of leakage.

Sounds like the next step is the clutch adjustment.

Thanks for all the replies!

1985.5 944
white face gauges
throttle cam
short shift kit
Old 04-06-2003, 07:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Trevor
Have you checked the clutch?brake fluid maybe it needs to be blead, I don't know if that would affect things but it couldn't hurt.
2001 Taurus noooooooooooooo!
1993 325is
Old 04-06-2003, 07:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

AF's post was under something like Quiz or Question.

81 924 N/A

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you
still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Old 04-06-2003, 07:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Roger and AE nailed it.

You have to have a little slack in the clutch pedal - about 3mm. If the pedal is too stiff, you are driving with the clutch partially (ever so slightly) engaged.

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 04-06-2003, 10:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: