Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: TX
Posts: 33
944 ... just fixed master / slave cylnder .... car electrically dead!

I have a 83 944 .... it did the famous pedal to the floor so i replaced the master and the slave and it drove great.

So I go to start it after sitting awhile and it briefly and i mean briefly powers up the assecories turns the starter over slightly and now it is electrically dead. No accesories turn on .. nothing.

So i check the battery and there is a spark when i touch the negitive to the negative terminal and the battery is new so i figure it is ok. The ignition coil is new as well.

I go under the car and retighten all the starter wires because i have been removing them to do all the clutch work and they seem ok as well.

I try the key again and nothing.

So i figure perhaps the battery has a charge but not enough to power everything so i set up a jump off my gf's car .... here is where it gets odd:

positive jumper to 944 battery, positive to good batery, neg. to good batery and i put the neg jumper to the frame .. right by the hood on the porsche. when i do this i get a huge spark . anywhere i place the neg. jumper in the 944 the cable sparks and or heats up, smokes, and glows red. i.e. i can't jump the car

does this mean the ground in the car is somehow lost? .. really need a clue on this one


ugh ... and now my 80 xjs Jag. is sturring .... its sooooo fun owning such cool cars right? lol
Old 04-07-2003, 09:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 495
no expert here but it almost sounds like you have a a loose battery cable. If your battery cables are clean and tight check where they go to. You said you checked the one on the starter. You didn't over tighten the one on the starter and break it inside did you, they are easy to overtighten and that might explain the no start. And you for sure have it on the right post, think there is only one that size though the other is smaller.

If all that checks out ok I think I would put a charger on the battery and see if it takes a charge ok and then take it to garage and have it tested, a battery can short out internally and spark trying to jump one off like that.

good luck, hope this helps, like I say I'm no electrical expert but those are things I would check..
Old 04-07-2003, 11:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Vernon, CT
Posts: 849
That sounds like you have a dead short to ground, on a fairly large cable!! Check the cable from the battery to the starter motor, maybe the insulation is damaged, and it's shorting out somewhere. It sounds to me like that cable is shorted to ground. It could be shorted inside the starter motor as well. If the cable checks out ok, i'd take an electrical ohmmeter, and check the starter for shorts. If it's no good, replace it.

Mike
Old 04-07-2003, 11:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered User
 
ae1969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 4,530
Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
CAN U SAY ENGINE FIRE



Check those positive cables.... they are so cheap the covering wears down easily....

Unhook the starter....and try the jumper trick with your G/F's car...if you get no spark ...its shorted in your starter

If its still sparking like crazy follow the positive cable all the way back to the battery...
__________________
Alex - PCA Polar Region - Boxster Muncher
86' 944 Turbo - Megasquirt - 326 rwhp/340lbft @ 18 psi SOLD
www.edmontonhomelife.com
www.edmontonrealestate.ws
Old 04-07-2003, 11:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Monett, MO
Posts: 1,085
I think that you left off one of the big wires that go to the starter. There are actually two large ones that go to the large post that you used the 13mm wrench on. I hope your dme is okay, yikes!
Old 04-07-2003, 05:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Roger Hall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Cordova, TN
Posts: 1,222
Quote:
Originally posted by mike944
That sounds like you have a dead short to ground, on a fairly large cable!! Check the cable from the battery to the starter motor, maybe the insulation is damaged, and it's shorting out somewhere. It sounds to me like that cable is shorted to ground. It could be shorted inside the starter motor as well. If the cable checks out ok, i'd take an electrical ohmmeter, and check the starter for shorts. If it's no good, replace it.

Mike
Mike & highboost951 are correct. I am not sure which cable but the short is causing a huge amp draw. That is why the jumper cable is heating up.
__________________
Roger Hall

81 924 N/A

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you
still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Old 04-07-2003, 07:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
 
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: LI, NY
Posts: 122
Check the battery to starter cable. For sure it's shorting out on the starter housing.

This cable will need to be replaced.

If not done, kiss your 944 away as you run to call the fire department.

Keep a fire extinquisher handy.

Know from experience.
Old 04-08-2003, 08:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: TX
Posts: 33
Thanx guys ..... i think it is the wire to the the starter from the battery that is shorted.

I have one more question for you (I am extremely stupid w/ these things):

on the positive terminal of the battery, there is the main positive lead (the thick wire) and two small wires that clamp / screw into the piece of metal that is placed over the positive pole on the battery. Are these two wires the wires that lead to the starter or am I completely off here.

I am just pondering here at work how difficult it will be to run new wires to the starter

Anyways you guys have been a big help ... I couldn't believe i fixed the master / slave cylinders just with your guys help and a Haynes manual.

Lets see if I can get lucky twice .... thanx again

Mitch
Old 04-08-2003, 10:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

 


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:37 AM.


 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page
 

DTO Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.