Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

which way to the cooling fans turn?

My car seems to get warmer as it is driven, and then at idle, at a traffic light the temperature returns to normal. I wonder if the cooling fans are turning in the right direction, drawing air,through the radiator, instead of pushing it through.

So can any of you tell me , if one stands infront of the car, which direction do they turn?
Thanking you in advance

http://www.p-caronline.com/directory/coupe

Porsche 944 Turbo, 1986
Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo, 1997
Old 04-07-2003, 09:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Ornery Bastard

I'm not sure about the direction they turn, but they are supposed to pull air from the front of the radiator to the back. The setup of the blades and the knowledge that the air is supposed to be pulled towards the back of the car should be enough to let you figure out what the direction of rotation is.

How hot does it get? If you're doing city driving, (35 mph and under) then it's the fans that do most of the work. As a very general rule, you need to be going faster than 30-35 mph in order to surpass the airflow generated by the fans.

Aaron
Guards Red 1986 951 <- Seattle car (Gretchen)
White 1976 914 2.0 F.I. <- Prodigal car, traded away then brought back again (Lorelei)
Old 04-07-2003, 02:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

My thoughts exactly. The fans draw air from the front of the car, through the radiator, to the back. I just have this gut feeling that the wires may be crossed, and the fans are turning the wrong way.
I'll have to trouble shoot some more.

Porsche 944 Turbo, 1986
Old 04-07-2003, 10:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I believe (75% sure) that they turn clockwise. (or from the front of the car, anti-clockwise)

Could have also sworn that the connectors were one way to prevent them fron getting crossed.

Does your car have a catalytic converter?

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 04-07-2003, 10:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Hi AfJuvat. I have just been experimenting here at work with some fans, and what you say is right: anti-clickwise if standing in front. The car does not have a cat. Dont know if it ever did. I'll check on the car tonight.

Porsche 944 Turbo, 1986
Old 04-08-2003, 04:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I dont believe it, my fans are turning turning clockwise, when I stand in front of the car..This may explain the cooling problem.

Porsche 944 Turbo, 1986
Old 04-14-2003, 05:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Ornery Bastard

Quote:
Originally posted by coupe
I dont believe it, my fans are turning turning clockwise, when I stand in front of the car..This may explain the cooling problem.
Check how the blades are oriented. If you reverse the pitch of the blades, then the fan can be turning clockwise and still be pulling air from the front.

Aaron
White 1976 914 2.0 F.I. <- Prodigal car, traded away then brought back again (Lorelei)
Old 04-14-2003, 08:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

You guys are working way too hard on this one. With the car running a/c on(fans on), see if a piece of paper gets sucked up to the front of the a/c condensor(behind the front spoiler. If it sticks, the air is flowing in the right direction, if it blows it fwd., it's not.
Old 04-14-2003, 11:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

BTW? How would you reverse the "pitch" of the blades?
Old 04-14-2003, 11:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Ornery Bastard

Quote:
Originally posted by highboost951
BTW? How would you reverse the "pitch" of the blades?
Well, if the blades are slanted one way, then counterclockwise will "push" and clockwise will "pull". If the blades are slanted in the opposite direction, then colckwise will "push" and counterclockwise will "pull".

Aaron
Old 04-14-2003, 12:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I understand that principle, but since they only mount one way that would be pretty difficult to do.
Old 04-14-2003, 12:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Ornery Bastard

Quote:
Originally posted by highboost951
I understand that principle, but since they only mount one way that would be pretty difficult to do.
Yeah, but when I was looking at my fans today (the end result being its own catastrophe, yay, see thread) I noticed that the blades are set up for the fans to spin clockwise when viewed from the front of the car. Different suppliers might have had different blade setups. Or maybe my car is just fugged up. The second explanation seems most likely.

Aaron
Old 04-14-2003, 12:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Let's go shooting.

Look chaps, it's perfectly simple - stick yer least favourite digit in the fan and see which side of your finger bleeds.

1991 944 (automatic) 2.7 litre 16 valve na and pas

"I have only five words for you: From my cold, dead hands."
Old 04-14-2003, 02:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: