Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Angry PANIC, need help FAST, Time belt!!!

Hi,
I come from Sweden, so please bare with my spelling.
I have three questoins.
I have just "started" to change my time belt on my 924 Turbo -79 and I have made some mistakes!

Questions:
1. How the F**K do you get the time belt cover lose without dismounting the complete alternator, air filter holder and ALMOST the "airpipe" from the turbo ???
I had even to bend some of the metal of the cover to finally get it out.

2. As I losen it, of course I manage to take the wrong screw and also losen the time belt "spanner"(not the right word).
With other words, as I took away the time belt cover the time belt was lose. Stupid as I was, I still wanted it in the right position, so I tightend it again and started to move the lower belt wheel. I noticed that the time belt wasent tihgtend enough, so I did it one more time. I THINK, that nothing hapend. Finaly there looking at the top time belt wheel marker, I took away the time belt and of course wanted to see if I had a similar mark on the lower wheel. It had, but it was NOT in the right position!!!!!!!!!!
Now, I have spoken to one person about this and he said that the mark I saw on the wheel doesent have to be the mark for the time belt. But I noticed something else. According to Haynes manual, the belt wheel should only have ONE "belt"row + the time belt row. Mine has THREE!!?? two which are not used.
COULD it be that they have changed it some time, and thats why the mark doesesnt fit???
OK, my question. Does your lower wheel only have ONE row for the small belt/s? Or do you have like mine, three?

3. The last question. Lets say that something happend now and the lower wheel moved and the upper not. I have heard that there should be one more mark to see if the engine is in the right position. On the other side of the engine!?
Does anyone know where or do you have any other ideas how to check this.

Sorry for this long questions.
Hoping for good and fast answers.

Thanks
/Smile from Sweden.
Old 04-07-2003, 10:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Welcome

I hate it when nobody replies. I dont have the advice you need but sombody here must.

81 924 N/A

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you
still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Old 04-07-2003, 04:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Bumping this one for a 924 guy, Been a while since I messed with a T-belt on one.

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 04-07-2003, 10:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Please anyone???
The most important question is, if I can see anywhere ELSE if the engine is in its correct position?

http://www.geocities.com/Pipeline/Valley/3424/porsche
Old 04-07-2003, 11:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Smile, I never did a 924 timing ever but I'll try and help you out. I'm going to look for some sites on how to do it right. Give me some time. brb

My Gaming Forums. Xbox360gen.com
Old 04-08-2003, 12:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Thanks 88_944, but just so you know:
I KNOW how to change a time belt, I just made a mistake now, so I do not know how the engine is position. I dont dare to rely on the oilpump wheel mark. How can I in anotherway see if the engine is in its correct position without looking at the V-wheel marker on the oil pump?
(The time belt wheel on the top is in its correct position.
The time belt-V wheel on the bottom isnt, if I look at the mark.
*****!!!

Old 04-08-2003, 12:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Ok I did a WebCrawler search and found this nice 924 heaven site. See if you can find anything good on timing and I'm going to look for more sites.

924 Garage FAQ

Old 04-08-2003, 12:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Smile
Thanks 88_944, but just so you know:
I KNOW how to change a time belt, I just made a mistake now, so I do not know how the engine is position. I dont dare to rely on the oilpump wheel mark. How can I in anotherway see if the engine is in its correct position without looking at the V-wheel marker on the oil pump?
(The time belt wheel on the top is in its correct position.
The time belt-V wheel on the bottom isnt, if I look at the mark.
*****!!!

What ever you do, DON'T START THE CAR untill the marks line up!! I'm going to see if you can reline up the marks.

Old 04-08-2003, 12:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Hi again 88_944!
I really apriciate your help.
ust so you know/remember from my first question.
Comparing the v-belt wheel on the bottom with the pictures from the Haynes manual, they dont seem to be identical.
Haynes has ONE row, Mine has Three rows for the V-belt/s.
So I'm wondering if they have changed them sometime, which would/could mean that the marks arent going to fit!?
because I'm not 100% shore that I made such a mistake which could have made the lower wheel spin without spinning the upper wheel!

P.S
I know the sitre you suggested. It says how to change the belt, but not what to do if you have my problem!

Again; THANKS!!!
(Feeling like a newborn idiot!!!)

Old 04-08-2003, 12:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
How can I in anotherway see if the engine is in its correct position without looking at the V-wheel marker on the oil pump?
How far off the V-wheel mark and the cam mark is?

Old 04-08-2003, 01:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Hard to say, but maybe two teeth lenght!

I'm thinking of two methods, but I do not know how to perform them,

1. Shouldent the "turn" point for one cylinder(Which one?) be on the correct points? Could take out that spark and feel/look into the cylinder, if I just knew that THAT WAS a way to check it and if I knew which one to do so with!?

2. I have heard that there should be a mark on the BIG wheel(Which the starter rotates), so you know that its in the right psition, but no one has confirmed this and I do not know where tolook for this mark!

Old 04-08-2003, 01:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Hard to say, but maybe two teeth lenght!

I would just loosen the tensioner and take off the timing belt and reset the the crank mark and cam marks up. (Don't make any full rotations on Cam and Crank, just bring it back 2 teeth length)

Quote:
Could take out that spark and feel/look into the cylinder, if I just knew that THAT WAS a way to check it and if I knew which one to do so with!?
I think the Cylinder #1 should be up so try and put a screw driver in the spark plug hole and see if the piston is up on #1 Cylinder.

Quote:
2. I have heard that there should be a mark on the BIG wheel(Which the starter rotates), so you know that its in the right psition, but no one has confirmed this and I do not know where tolook for this mark!
I think your talking about the flywheel. The flywheel on 944 have a TDC mark on it. Does the 924 has it also?

Old 04-08-2003, 02:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I dont hope the last question was for me!? ;-)

Whats a TDC mark?

Again and Again, thanks for your efforts.

I just went to our supplier and got the new belt and the "spanner" (Tightninger).
In 3 and a half hours I will go home and change it.
Hopefully some else still has an "better" answer to my question.!
Old 04-08-2003, 02:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Whats a TDC mark?
Oh, it's means "Top Dead Center". It's the mark for timing belt.

I tried.

Old 04-08-2003, 02:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

88_944, STOP LOOKING !!!
I took the chans calling our Porsche supplier and asked for the repair shop. I was forwarded to them and they had a minute to talk.
It seems, like you mentioned, that there is a "TDC" mark on the flywheel, so I will look for that when I come home.

Be sure that I will tell you about the result tomorrow.

"hope that I can make this up to you sometime".

/Smile

Old 04-08-2003, 02:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Hi 88_944,

As I looked at the flywheel, I was away from the TDC point.
Thank god that I didnt put the belt right up.
I moved the flywheel and mounted on the belt.
The engine started and sounded great.

Thanks for your help anyway.

Today I will replace the fuel and air filter and try to see if anyone can adjust my CO2.

/Smile
Old 04-08-2003, 09:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
suck my tail pipe

Send a message via AIM to Frank B
This post was like automotive Triage.. jeez I need a drink!....
Old 04-09-2003, 07:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Ok now for my .02cents

you said"OK, my question. Does your lower wheel only have ONE row for the small belt/s? Or do you have like mine, three?"

My car which is a 924 NA model has the same set up as yours.
the pulley has three slots for the belts to ride in...

If I remember correctly outside ring is alternator 2nd ring is air conditioner and 3rd ring is timing belt.

Hope that helps abit.

Chris.
Old 04-09-2003, 08:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Thanx Chr.
I did. But I have 4 rings, including the time belt.
Butthe mark did corespond to the flywheel, so Its OK.

/Smile

Old 04-10-2003, 02:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: