Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Yes another engine mount question...

I just replaced the motor mounts on my 1984 944 NA with Meyle mounts. I got everything fitting back together, but on the driver's side (left) the lower mount bolt seems to be further back than it was before. Any thoughts on what might be happening here? I had lowered the cross-member, but it is back in the same place that it was. Thanks for your help.

Andrew
Project 560
1984 Porsche 944 (First Porsche ever)
Old 04-01-2020, 05:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Drive it a while and then look again. The mounts are a little wonky and donít always sit square in the spot. Maybe a drive would settle it down
Old 04-01-2020, 06:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Could be right. I just loosened things and jacked the motor up again. The lower bolt seems to have some movement but the mount won't move from where it is sitting now.
Old 04-01-2020, 06:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I just did mine and I had to use some leverage to get the top of the mount seated into the mounting gap. It's hard to explain but there are pictures out there, I ended up using some lubrication and that seated it properly on top.
Old 04-02-2020, 05:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

I replaced my mounts (with Porsche mounts) shortly after I purchased my car ('87NA) last Spring. (mounts are now out again for engine rebuild).

I did wonder, as the (visibly age-shortened) mounts I replaced were the original, 32 year old ones, if over this time there had been some kind of general "reset" of other, drivetrain-related components relative positions (thinking especially of associated "soft" mounts/bushings)...to the point where things now might need some time to "re-settle" into a "correct(ed)" configuration?

Speculation I guess...but perhaps you might, after a bit of driving, loosen the bolt of the "errant" mount, then very slightly lift the engine and maybe rock it back and forth a bit, then re-fasten?
Old 04-02-2020, 05:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
After having my mechanic replace my original mounts with Mehle mounts, the car developed an exhaust rattle where the resonator was contacting the underbody tunnel. Sounded like something was going to drop loose on the highway... but alass it was just a muffler rattle!
Old 04-02-2020, 02:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

I'm guessing the mounts have not been popped all the way in. I've had to do this will every engine mount install over the years. I use a prybar from Harbor Freight, they sell a very useful set of prybars.

Currently I am at 3.5 years on the Meyle mounts in my 1992 968, no problems to report. Everything smooth.
Old 04-03-2020, 09:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks everyone. I tried raising the engine again and shifting things, but it would budge. I will drive it for a bit and look at it again later.

Old 04-04-2020, 11:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: