Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Flashing \!/ Dash Light

Yesterday I decided to finally deal with the dark dash lighting in my 88 Turbo. I replaced all the indicator lighting and the three gauge lights with LEDs, checking each bulb and polarization and cleaning/wrapping the reflectors in foil. Everything went fairly smooth however when I got it all back together and started the car, the master indicator now flashes every second or so. It flashes briefly and goes back out at a constant cadence.

I suspect the polarity map I used for the dash has a few bulbs wrong as the parking brake indicator lights are not lighting up (although the big \!/ lamp lights appropriately when the p-brake is on). I thought I would ask this group prior to pulling the cluster back out again to address specific bulbs so I don't need to do any more repeated disassembly/assembly than I need to if it is not bulb-related.

So, any thoughts or guidance on a flashing \!/ dash light?

Old 04-06-2020, 06:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Yep, go back to incandescent bulbs for the indicator lights.

The \!/ light is an annunciator light, designed to turn on when one of the indicator lights is turned on. Using a diode instead of a resistor type bulb will cause all kinds of weird indications.
We buy 944s and sell 944 parts (845-379-1944)
We rebuild torque tubes and instrument clusters for 944/968/928
Old 04-06-2020, 07:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 944 Ecology View Post
Yep, go back to incandescent bulbs for the indicator lights.
Grumble. Thanks George! I suspected that might be the solution. Is there a better replacement bulb for the indicators or is it back to the stock parts? What is the best part number/aftermarket bulb to use for the indicators?
Old 04-06-2020, 10:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

The stock parts are designed to, umm, err, work as designed...
We buy 944s and sell 944 parts (845-379-1944)
We rebuild torque tubes and instrument clusters for 944/968/928
Old 04-06-2020, 10:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
There's a kit that puts reflectors in with LEDs. It has the beneficial side effect of turning the ! light off (to me that light is total overkill). I found it on 944only I think or eBay.
Old 04-06-2020, 01:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
944 addict

Garage
Send a message via AIM to mytrplseven
I chose to get a strip of led's in the UV range and epoxy them to the periphery of the gauge cluster inside, bottom. There's a channel there that they fit perfectly. The big change is that UV led's are like black light and boy did it make the gauges beautiful. Holy Cow!

Some people try to turn back their "odometers." Not me. I want people to know 'why' I look this way. I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved.
Old 04-07-2020, 08:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: