Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
After 2 years, I'm about to start her but no Oil pressure showing

My engine work is complete. I had to take my crank out and resurface the crank to fit the over sizes con-rod and main bearings. Now I know you should crank the engine untill the some oil pressure goes up but my oil gauge say zero. Will the oil gauge show 1 or 2 bars when only the starter turns the engine?

Help! Thanks!

My Gaming Forums. Xbox360gen.com
Old 04-09-2003, 07:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
New filter? Had to replace the one on the used engine I got. Had sat for four years. Took the spark plugs out and cranked till the gauge showed pressure. Now I get five bars cold and almost three at an idle.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 04-09-2003, 07:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Took the spark plugs out and cranked till the gauge showed pressure.
Oh ok I'll try it. When building oil pressure, is 1 - 2 bars fine?

Old 04-09-2003, 07:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
Pour some oil down the oil holes where the oil filter sits........

It will prime the oil pump..........

I cranked for about 15 seconds....and saw the oil pressure creap up.......and finally jumped to 5. Waited a minute...cranked and she pegged to 5 right away....

PUt plugs in.....

Then started her up.

I run her now and she pegs 5 until operating temp is hit ...and sits at 3
www.edmontonrealestate.ws

Last edited by ae1969; 04-09-2003 at 07:29 PM..
Old 04-09-2003, 07:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Hey thanks! I'll do it now.

Old 04-09-2003, 07:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to pjv911
Make sure the crank pulley is torqued down to spec(the pump drive will slip). Once you have cranked it crack open the oil filter and check for flow . I rebuilt a 944 turbo motor last summer for a customer. When I cranked it before starting IT TOO HAD NO READING AT THE GAUGE. But the filter showed flow so I just started it and the gauge popped up after about 5 seconds. No problems since.

Kurt Williams
65/66 912 1 owner 76k orig
01' Aston Martin DB7 V12 Vantage Coupe 6spd
Old 04-09-2003, 07:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
I poured oil in the middle hole in the oil filter housing and I put back the oil filter. I cranked it and still no oil pressure on gauge. Now I opened the oil flter and to put more oil in the housing.I looked at the oil filter in the center hole and it was dry with no oil inside. Im going to try these steps again.

Last edited by 88_944; 04-09-2003 at 09:54 PM..
Old 04-09-2003, 08:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Some times you have to put an extra quart (or tw) in to raise the pan level to get the pump to prime. Once you get prime a factory oil filter, MAHL, will hold a "charge" so you don't see a bit of zero pressure at start up. Drain off the 'extra' oil once you get prime.

You could have a bad oil pressure sender. Or the front crank bolt is loose. Did you updated the oil pressure relief valve to the newer one piece?

1 to 2 bars is ok to start. Keep your eye on the gauge and shut if off if the pressure falls off.
Old 04-10-2003, 10:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by SoCal Driver
Some times you have to put an extra quart (or tw) in to raise the pan level to get the pump to prime.
Good idea! I'll put in an extra quart of oil in to raise the pan level.

Quote:
[b]Once you get prime a factory oil filter, MAHL, will hold a "charge" so you don't see a bit of zero pressure at start up. Drain off the 'extra' oil once you get prime.
I'm using a new factory oil filter. One thing I'm not doing is, I'm not cranking the engine for more than 5 sec at a time because I smell gas so I stop cranking the engine. It must not be enough time for the oil pump to push oil to the oil sender.

Quote:
You could have a bad oil pressure sender. Or the front crank bolt is loose. Did you updated the oil pressure relief valve to the newer one piece?
The sender did work before the engine work was done. I think the 88' year had the updated relief valve. I torque the crank bolt 150 lb.

Quote:
1 to 2 bars is ok to start. Keep your eye on the gauge and shut if off if the pressure falls off.
I still have zero bars. I even crank the engine without the oil filter on to see if oil would come out. But nothing.

I'm going to push the car out of the Garage so I can crank it for 15-20 sec. The gas smell is bad.

AHHHHHHH!!

Old 04-10-2003, 10:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Gas smell = injectors working.

Pull the DME relay out of the fuse/relay block. This will stop the fuel pump running. And the power to the injectors and the DME. But not the power to the coil. Pull the HV coil wire between the coil and the dist.

I put a charger on the battery to help in the cranking.

If you are absolutely positive you have reassembled the oil pump correctly and the oil pressure sender is good and the oil pressure relief valve is not sticking then I would start looking at the oil pick up -- might be loose and sucking air.

Still getting oil prime can be a real pain.
Old 04-10-2003, 10:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
....the positive is that at least you primed the fuel rail

After you do what Socal said.......... crank for a good 15 seconds... a break in between....... then do it again....... I can't imagine it taking it much more than 3-4 15 second bursts unless something is not right

With the fuel rail primed once you hook up the plugs and connect everything up you'll be able to fire it right up.
www.edmontonrealestate.ws
Old 04-10-2003, 11:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to pjv911
Did you remember to istall a O ring on the pick up flange ? The pickup could be sucking air instead of oil .
65/66 912 1 owner 76k orig
01' Aston Martin DB7 V12 Vantage Coupe 6spd
Old 04-10-2003, 02:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
SHE HAS 4 BAR OIL PRESSURE!!!1

SoCal Driver YOU THE MAN!! WOOO!! THANKS! I did what you said, pull the DME relay to stop the fuel, add 2 more extra quarts of oil and crank that mother!

About after 3X 11-15 sec cranking, She jump to 4 bars. WOW!

But she holds idle by her self but in a ruff way. I press on some gas and the engine want to die so I let the pedal go and the idle goes back to a ruff way. I remeber the speed and mark sensor I had to whack it out of the bracket so the next time if I had to change it, it will come out fine. I hope I didn't damage both of them. I know for sure all my vacuums was connected but I'm taking out my air box and see under for any open vacuums line out.

Old 04-10-2003, 08:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
WOOO! SHE RUNNING SMOOTH!!!!1 All my vacuums was in and I just had to reset the DME box by taking off the positive side of the battery and putting it back on did the trick.

Thanks guys!

Old 04-11-2003, 09:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Reset the DME? Interesting.

Adding the oil is not really my trick. Picked it up reading this board.

You did drain off the additional oil before starting the car? The crank will hit it and cause problems.
Old 04-11-2003, 10:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
You did drain off the additional oil before starting the car? The crank will hit it and cause problems.
Yes I did drain the extra oils in the pan before starting.

Hey thanks a million!!

Old 04-11-2003, 11:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: