Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via ICQ to 944S Boyeee
Differencial seals and my dog......

Hi all....

First of all, I had my real half axles off recently to re-pack a CV. I was told my seals (the one between the axle and differencial) leak. Ordered new seals from Porsche (a whopping $10). The fella putting them in said they were wrong - that they went in too easy. They are not wrong - they only list this one seal for all models.

I noticed in the parts book - that there is what looks like a metal washer or something that goes between the seal and the part that has bearings (on the differencial). Does this ring (or whatever he hell it is, it doesn't have a parts number) wrap around the seal? When removing the old seal, could this piece stick to the seal and get pulled out - thus making a new seal seem "loose"???

Now, as for my dog. Any dog owners/lovers out there will understand what I'm going through/went through and I needed to share.

I have had the same puppy for 15 years. She was a Terrier-mix, about the same size as a big cat. Her name was N.R.G (she never stopped moving, bumming food, etc, etc). I have never been married at my ripe old age of 33 and have never even found a girl close enough to what I need yet......but N.R.G was my wife, sister, mother, brother and life. She meant more to me than only a handful of humans. This dog never left my side for 15 years. When I woke up, she was there. When I showered, she was waiting on the other side of the curtain. When I played sports, she was chasing me. She loved going for drives and walks more than anything. I don't have any pics I can post right now, but picture a blond face that had the "puppy look" all it's life. She was beautiful. I would home clip her hair once a month and clip her nails at the same time. She got a bath once a week and I brushed her teeth everyday.

She never had puppies or was fixed and would get tumors on her underbelly from time to time. I kept getting them removed (mostly for looks and her comfort) and the cost added up (but who cares when you love them this much right?). Everytime one was removed, they were tested and came back as non-cancerous. I though she would live forever.

Recently I moved into a new house and she started showing aging signs (loss of hearing, slight loss of sight, etc). Her body was still like that of a puppy, her senses were just fading. Over the last 6 months, she stopped jumping up on couches - her barking decreased and she was overall less active. I knew it was coming, but ignored the fact that my lil' doggie would leave me soon.

She had an episode about two and a half months ago where she tripped over my Playstation and started having what looked like a seizure. I held her till she calmed down and it took her a few hours to get back to normal. After that day, she stopped eating her hard food and started losing weight. I took her to the vet and was told she went from 25 kg to 15 kg in under two months. That was a lot. She started to stand there in the middle of the floor "dozing off". She would rarely lay down. The vet guessed she has cancer in her lungs, stomach, etc, etc - old dogs get cancer and told me to take her home and try and keep her comfortable and gave me some Prednazone (sp?) to help shrink the tumors. The "dozing off" was most likely brain cancer.

I changed her food and she started eating again, but this only lasted a week or so. She got some strength back and was sleeping more. I was happy she wasn't as "sick" as before, but my elation only lasted a few days as she stopped eating anything unless it was "people food". I had to spoon-feed her hamburger and rice. She stopped eating all together and her breathing become laboured. She couldn't lay down cause it put pressure on her belly and lungs.

She spent her final days standing up, with no sleep. Her poor lil' legs were bowed from the constant standing. I made an appointment to put her to sleep on Monday evening, she didn't seem to be in pain, but her quailty of life was at about 1. I cancelled said appointment until Tuesday cause I was scared. Tuesday morning I saw her breathing was very shallow and she was really "out of it". She wouldn't respond to me and was pre-occupied with simply trying to stay alive....but all throught this, her eyes still had that love for me I was used to seeing. She may not have been the same dog, but she never stopped loving.

Tuesday morning at 10:15 I tried to get her to lay down again to get some sleep - no go. I put on a fan (her temp was quite high) so perhaps she could sleep in front of that. I tried laying her down in front of the fan and noticed how weak she was. She didn't like being picked up usually, but this time, there was no fighting. I layed her on her side (to alleviate pressure on her lungs) and that movement stopped her breathing. Her breathing had stopped a few times before (she would get sick and pass out and I would pick her up and she would come back). This time I didn't help her back up (even though she tried with all her weak might). She fought right till the end. I caressed her and told her, "let it go girl - I'm here and I love you - don't be afraid". She listened and let it go. She stopped breathing and the next 10 seconds were the longest of my life.....I could have picked her up and kept her going, but she would have ended up back down again - she was very weak. I thought about it so hard and decided to let her go.

I've never had anything die in my hands, so the time before I knew she was gone was eternity. I felt her chest - no movement. I felt her heart and it had stopped. It was very peaceful (except for a couple front leg twitches, but it looked like she was waving bye). I cried like Sally Field. She laided there for 2 hours until my parents could come over and see her before I buried her. I spent the entire two hours laying next to her, talking to her and patting her. I couldn't believe she was gone, even though I knew it was coming. I didn't want her to ever leave.

My dad did me the favor of buring her. I put her in a microwave oven box (she loved nothing more than the sound of the microwave "ding" - she knew it was time to bum!). I packed her bowl, a bag and can of food, a piece of bologna (her fav), her leash, a couple Jerky Treats, a rawhide bone, a few of her toys and a love note I wrote her. My folks and girlfriend also added notes. I cried so hard while writing the note, the paper was dripping wet. As I was writing the note, I saw a single Crow sitting on the top of a tree outside my window - I don't know what a single Crow is supposed to mean, but I think he was there for her soul or something, cause as soon as I wrote, "I love you...goodbye, see you soon" - the Crow left.

I wrapped her in her favorite blanket with all her stuff and closed the lid on the box and saw her beautiful face for the last time. She is buried under a Cherry tree in the yard - right next to a huge rock I can sit on and be with her when I need to be. I put a cross up with her name and picture on it. It's kinda like a lil' shrine. I plan on landscaping the area so nice grass grows around her plot. I miss her soooooo much.

A few consolations are the facts that she lived a full life, was never abused and she loved everyone, all the time. She also died in my hands and not in the doctors office (where she hated going). The whole process of the "putting her to sleep" was avoided. I think she died at home cause she knew that is what I wanted. She always put me first.

I (and N.R.G.) want everyone who owns and loves their dogs to get up from the keyboard right now (or when you get home) and go give your dog a hug. It doesn't matter if they are a puppy or 20 years old, please go give them a hug and kiss for us right now. I'm guessing a lot of you can even see your dog right now, or perhaps they are right by your side. Cherish them, never take them for granted and whatever you do, never question their love....it's unconditional.

Well, I'm off to my house where I know will be looking at "her spots" and doing some more whimpy bawling for the next undertermined amount of time. That dog will never leave my thoughts or heart. Sorry if this was long, but I had to share.

944S Boyeee (and N.R.G)

Last edited by 944S Boyeee; 04-10-2003 at 01:16 PM..
Old 04-10-2003, 01:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Thanks for sharing your story Boyee....and I'm sorry about your loss....
Old 04-10-2003, 01:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

We lost our Brandy last May. She was with us almost 16 years. I don't think I'll ever get over it. To us it was worse than a person passing away. For some reason or another we accept the passing of people more easily.

Our pet had an inflammation of the nerves that connect the inner ear to the brain. Most times they recover but our pet was older. She would not eat nor drink. We fed her with an eyedropper for three days but she never improved. The vet had told us that if she did not improve in three days, then it was futile.

On the fifth day, we called the vet who came to our home and put her to sleep. I'll never forget how the weight of her head on my leg got heavier and heavier as she left us. It was the lowest point of my life.

Five months passed by but my wife and I still grieved for her. Seven months later we got a puppy, same kind but different color. Missy is now six months old and full of life. The new dog fills the void to some extent and eases the pain. But you never forget. Brandy had a good life. We miss her.

Anyway, all I can say is that I am sorry for your loss. As you are single, it might even be more difficult. There is nothing like a pet.
1987 328GTS
2011 528i
Old 04-10-2003, 02:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
least common denominator

Unhappy

Sorry to hear about your dog, honestly couldn't read the whole tread once I knew where it was going. Had my old dog put down about two years ago. Still tear up when I think about her.

Time will heal, hang in there, have a good cry.
Old 04-10-2003, 02:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to 1.2gees
I've owned several dogs but had to leave them to be cared for by others when I moved from turkey (bulldog, dalmatian, boxer, great dane)... I remember loosing my dalmatian when I was 14 or so. I carried it to the vet and back when my parents were at work (3 miles each way) for weeks. Anyway, it was incredibly hard, specially for the first few weeks. As far as my experiences go, it wasn't nearly eclipsed until the passing of my best friend few months ago, to a car accident.

Very sorry that you have gone through this.
Ahmet
Old 04-10-2003, 10:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to fty
Im not much of a dog fanatic but that post is very touching..you have my condolences and my sympathy-take care-chris
Old 04-10-2003, 11:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Very touching - sry about your loss .........
Old 04-11-2003, 12:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Oh man,...that tore me up completely.

Our pooch is only 2 1/2 y.o. and he's become so close to us that I just dread the day that I know is coming. Hopefully, we'll have as much time w/him as you had. You're right, everyday is precious when you have a pet like that. So sorry for your loss.
Old 04-11-2003, 03:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Just wanted to say thanks to those who are helping me grieve, the words of support/feeling really help.

I spent most of the night outside last night sitting with her. Still very sad.

I will have to say, when I was in the house last night - the time moved sooooooooooo slowly. You never realize how much of your time they occupy until they are completely gone. I'll have to get a new hobby now........but not another dog......not just yet.

Thanks again all!!! REALLY appreciate it.

944S Boyeee
Old 04-11-2003, 08:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Boyee I'm sorry for your loss. I've got three dogs myself.

All dogs go to heaven.
Old 04-11-2003, 08:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Most of us know what this feels like. It hurts a lot.

I hope that soon you might feel like visiting a puppy farm.

There's a puppy who needs you too!

Early '85 944
Old 04-11-2003, 12:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to interglossa
I sympathize with boyee
My 13- year old mutt had gotten really sick the last few weeks of her life and all of a sudden she couldn't walk. The vet told us her back had partially separated which is common in bassets, so her walking ability would come and go. She wasnt eating and was in alot of pain. We had to make the decision to put her down.
It's horrible, but just something you have to do sometimes.

Anyway off that topic anyone know about those rings boyee was talking about??
Old 04-11-2003, 02:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Ya - enough sadness/grieving, lets get happy and talk seals.

Once I had a pet seal and it got really sick and..............just kidding.

Thanks again for the kind words folks!

944S Boyeee
Old 04-11-2003, 02:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
least common denominator

On a side note...
Boyeee your avitar is freaking me out!
Reminds me of a bad trip I had int the 70's
Just kidding
Old 04-11-2003, 03:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Man, i seriously feel your pain. I know what its like to love a dog as much as you love anything else. I'd give up my car, any car for my dog. My golden retriever has been with me for 10 years. I dont want to be around the day she passes off. YOur story made me realize that people should spend as much time with their pets as possible. They're NOT going to always be there.
Oh wait...it's a stock M3
Old 04-11-2003, 07:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
suck my tail pipe

Send a message via AIM to Frank B
I needed a good cry. Thanks....
Old 04-11-2003, 08:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: