Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Mystery Oil Leak 1986 Porsche 944 NA

I'm out of options and prepared to take my 944 to the Porsche dealership to solve this oil leak coming from the front in between the lower balance shaft front cover and and the bracket that mounts on the side of the balance shaft cover,

BACKGROUND-Did a complete engine rebuild out of the vehicle including sending my oil pump to 944 on line to have a refresh. Got the engine back together and it fired right up. Within about 20 minutes of run time, the leak began and left a small pool of oil. As soon as I wiped the oil away and let the car sit, the oil leak stopped, Only under pressure and while running did the leak begin.

ACTIONS-I could not isolate it, so I decided to replace the oil cooler housing gaskets, front main seal and all associated parts like the washer and o ring (gear was new) and the lower balance shaft seal, large o ring and mylar this washer. Keep in mind all these items were new when I rebuilt the engine. This included the updated OPRV and post 1986 oil cooler housing. During the deconstruct, I did notice the crank bolt was loose after I torqued it at 155 ft pds. Figured it worked itself loose.

LATEST: Started the car back up Sunday after doing this work. Let it run to warm up and no oil. Started it up today and let it run to warm and here comes the oil, from the same mystery place. I have zero idea what it could be, possibly the oil pump itself.

ANY IDEAS! Thanks

Old 06-01-2020, 06:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Hard to tell without a pic. I have an 86 NA also and sometimes the leaks are tough to find. Don't know if its any help but I had a leak also that I thought was from the lower balance shaft housing. I went insane looking for it. Noticed it ,just a drip, under pressure only, flowing from that general area down cooler housing and dripping off oil pressure sender unit. couldn't find it, until.........
I was doing belts and saw a line of oil running down from the back of the distributor rear housing. I removed the entire housing and found a split o ring. The big one where it slides into the cam housing. I replaced the o ring and the other little seal next to it and its all good. no more leak. Just my two cents, might be worth a look.
Good luck
Old 06-02-2020, 11:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
944 addict

Garage
Send a message via AIM to mytrplseven
For very little money, get a florescent dye kit at the auto parts place or online. Put some in the oil, run the engine for a while so it migrates to the source of the leak, put the glasses on, use the "magic" flashlight in the kit and you'll see the source of the leak. They work great and cheap.

Some people try to turn back their "odometers." Not me. I want people to know 'why' I look this way. I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved.
Old 06-02-2020, 11:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneguy View Post
Hard to tell without a pic. I have an 86 NA also and sometimes the leaks are tough to find. Don't know if its any help but I had a leak also that I thought was from the lower balance shaft housing. I went insane looking for it. Noticed it ,just a drip, under pressure only, flowing from that general area down cooler housing and dripping off oil pressure sender unit. couldn't find it, until.........
I was doing belts and saw a line of oil running down from the back of the distributor rear housing. I removed the entire housing and found a split o ring. The big one where it slides into the cam housing. I replaced the o ring and the other little seal next to it and its all good. no more leak. Just my two cents, might be worth a look.
Good luck
Thanks-I did check that when I had the engine apart and did not not see any oil. It only leaks when the engine is running and under pressure. It's a pretty good puddle. I'm wondering if the updated OPRV is defective and if so where would it leak from. When disassembled every thing to re do the seals, the one piece updated OPRV came apart. I had to order a new o ring for the center and push it back together.
Old 06-02-2020, 01:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mytrplseven View Post
For very little money, get a florescent dye kit at the auto parts place or online. Put some in the oil, run the engine for a while so it migrates to the source of the leak, put the glasses on, use the "magic" flashlight in the kit and you'll see the source of the leak. They work great and cheap.
I tried that stuff before and had zero luck pin pointing a previous leak that ended up be a cracked rear cover of the cam housing.....you know the one that takes the cork gasket. This area is so tight I would need x ray vision.
Old 06-02-2020, 01:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Update-oil leak!!!!!

Took the car to a friends shop where he employs mechanics to work on his diesel fleet.* One of his top guys, who is a blood hound for oil leaks took a look.* He's certain the leak is coming from the oil cooler housing in between the top right bolt of the cooler as you are facing the side of the engine and the bottom right cooler bolt. This seems to make sense.* I do recall Mike at Lindsey racing tell me the discovered a bit of pitting where the oil cooler housing mounts to the block when they were boring and honing my block.* They added some epoxy to cover the imperfections and sanded it down.* Wonder if I should use some rtv?**
Old 06-04-2020, 01:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
Just want to confirm that in addition to the balance shaft seals, you also replaced the balance shaft seal flanges for both balance shafts, and that you also replaced the oil pump drive gear/seal flange? As you may know these parts wear a ridge into them from the rubber seal and need to also be replaced: https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/92810513902M260.htm?pn=928-105-139-02-M260&bt=Y&fs=0&SVSVSI=1028

Some other things to check (which I am sure you've done if you did a rebuild):
Oil Pan Gasket (this can sometimes mimic lower balance shaft area leak, due to poor visibility of all parts of the pan bolts)
Balance Shaft Housing Gaskets and Rear Seals (these are different than the front BS seals)
Oil Pressure Sender crush washer (Ive heard these can leak actually through the terminals as well)
Oil Pump to block (need anaerobic gasket sealer for this - locktite 574 I think - this is important)

Could be oil cooler housing, uses a metal gasket if I recall. Best to remove and inspect. If there is still pitting and the epoxy trick by LR didn't work, I would be tempted to try JB Weld sanded down to flat/even with rest of sealing surface

Pics would really be helpful.

Last edited by walfreyydo; 06-05-2020 at 08:18 AM..
Old 06-05-2020, 06:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by walfreyydo View Post
Just want to confirm that in addition to the balance shaft seals, you also replaced the balance shaft seal flanges for both balance shafts, and that you also replaced the oil pump drive gear/seal flange? As you may know these parts wear a ridge into them from the rubber seal and need to also be replaced: https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/92810513902M260.htm?pn=928-105-139-02-M260&bt=Y&fs=0&SVSVSI=1028

Some other things to check (which I am sure you've done if you did a rebuild):
Oil Pan Gasket (this can sometimes mimic lower balance shaft area leak, due to poor visibility of all parts of the pan bolts)
Balance Shaft Housing Gaskets and Rear Seals (these are different than the front BS seals)
Oil Pressure Sender crush washer (Ive heard these can leak actually through the terminals as well)
Oil Pump to block (need anaerobic gasket sealer for this - locktite 574 I think - this is important)

Could be oil cooler housing, uses a metal gasket if I recall. Best to remove and inspect. If there is still pitting and the epoxy trick by LR didn't work, I would be tempted to try JB Weld sanded down to flat/even with rest of sealing surface

Pics would really be helpful.
Thanks-Everything was new in the rebuild as I did it myself. Including flanges on the balance shafts.

In fact, after the rebuild was complete and the car fired up, the leak started. So, replaced front main seal again and ALL associated parts including the gear. Also replaced the lower balance shaft seal and all associated parts as the leak was coming from the side. Lastly I pulled the oil cooler/housing and replaced all those parts. Put it back together and same leak/same area. Oil pan seal is good, no leaks from that. I suspected the oil pump even though I installed exactly as the service manual states. We were able to see the sheen of oil near the right corner of the oil cooler. My plan is to pull the cooler housing, reinspect service for flatness. I may try your idea. Bottom line RTV is going on with the new gasket kit. I do want to run the car a while before I do this. Thanks Again Pictures just show oil on bottom of PS bracket.
Old 06-05-2020, 02:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Rubber O-ring behind the LBS housing front / pump carrier is a possible culprit. That’s my current theory on mine (my leak sounds similar to yours...drops off the bottom of the PS pump)

999 701 652 40 is the P/N
Old 06-16-2020, 10:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Update-oil leak!!!!!

Wanted to update the forum in the final fix.* It ended up being the oil galley (freeze plug) located on the front of the block hidden by the water pump.* I have the bock bored and honed.* When I put the new freeze plugs in I should have used a little sealant and some epoxy in the hole.* It solved the issues.* No oil leak!!!!!

Old 07-03-2020, 05:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: