Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

early gas gauges

Does anybody know what the lines represent exactly on the early 944 fuel gauge? They don't quite seem to be quarter/half/three-quarters one would expect....?

Old 08-07-2000, 06:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to hoff944
Well judging by filling my car up, I've observed that when the needle hits the mark that would appear to be a 1/4 of a tank, my car holds anywhere from 10.5 to 12 gallons. The total tank capacity is 17 or 17.5. so I guess the marks are full, 3/4, 1/2, 1/4, and empty. I don't know why they made the guage like that. I'll look in my owners manuel to verify this.
Old 08-07-2000, 10:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

On the same subject, I seem to get my fuel light to come on way early. If I top it off soon after the light, I only fill some 14 gallons. Which should leave 3.4 gallons left. That's quite a bit considering the light is on. What does everybody else get?

Makes me wonder if it's really 17.4 gallons. The most I've ever filled is 16.0. I've been too hesitant to wait since the light comes on so early. I usually put in 15 when I fill up.
Old 08-07-2000, 11:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I believe the gauge is marked like that because of the shape of the fuel tank. The indicated level on the gauge is related linearly to the level (depth) of fuel in the tank. The tank is wider in the middle than at the top and bottom, so the level falls less quickly when it's around half a tank. Therefore, the marks on the gauge are spaced so that it indicates 3/4 tank when the tank is 3/4 full by volume, etc.
Old 08-07-2000, 12:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to stray15
I don't remember getting any more that 12.5 gallons in my '83. And that is right after the light goes on. And when I do put that much in, it smells like gas in the car. Does anyone else's smell like gas inside the car after they fill it?

Tim
Old 08-07-2000, 12:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Todd, if the lines on the gauge were proportional to the depth of a fuel tank of variable width, then the marks would not be proportional to the amount (volume) of gas remaining.

For example, if the top and bottom were more narrow as you describe, then the first 1/4 of gas "height" would fall faster, but it would not in fact have 3/4 left, there would be more than 3/4 since the first 1/4 height was not quite 1/4 volume. Do you see what I'm saying? It's a little confusing.

I'm trying to find out what percentage of the gas is left when the gauge reads 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4.
Old 08-07-2000, 12:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say. The marks on the gauge are not evenly spaced, correct? There is more space between the full and 3/4 mark than between the 3/4 and 1/2 mark, right? Which means that the level falls faster between full and 3/4 than it does betweem 3/4 and 1/2. Just like you said. 1/4 height does not equal 1/4 volume, which is why the mark on the gas gauge is *not* exactly 1/4 of the way between full and reserve.

[This message has been edited by todd951 (edited 08-07-2000).]
Old 08-07-2000, 01:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

So let me see if I get this straight...

* The gauges do NOT accurately represent 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4 gas volume spent

* The needle's location relative to the completely empty or completely full lines IS representative of the gas left (so half is truly half for example)

* The markings are spaced unevenly because they measure gas height, and not volume (not very sophisticated, are they?)

Is this a correct conclusion?

[This message has been edited by LtUSMC (edited 08-07-2000).]
Old 08-07-2000, 02:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

How about this. When it gets close to the bottom, refill it.
Old 08-07-2000, 05:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Hoff, does life always have to be so simple for you? Actually, I'm curious because I'm messing with some stuff on my car and I need to know the MPG at different times.
Old 08-07-2000, 05:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Ok, the needle measures the fuel level (height). The markings are spaced unevenly so that they do correspond to 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 fuel volume. I hope this clears it up for you, Lt.
Old 08-07-2000, 07:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Fortunately.........YES! heehee

Old 08-07-2000, 10:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: