Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Emissions

I have an 86 951. When I took it to have emissions checked, it passed at 3000 RPM, but failed during the idle test. It failed by excessive amounts of CO and am wondering what all you think I can do. This may sound stupid, but I had 86 octane in it at the time. Also, I live at 5000 feet so do you think I need to adjust my spark through the DME(as noted in the 944FAQ on the performance page)? I would be grateful for any ideas to check to remedy this situation.

Old 08-08-2000, 02:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to hoff944
Right before you go for your emissions testing, run your car really hard. High RPMs. Also trying adding some HEAT to your engine.
Old 08-08-2000, 11:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Put in new spark plugs and air filter, raise your idle up 300 rpm (right before you go to inspection station), change your engine oil, drive 20 minutes to make sure car is warmed up and then take the car through 1st thru 3rd gears several times and take RPM up to 5500 briefly in each gear (right before going to inspection station). If you have time, put some Chevron Techron valve cleaner in with 1/3 tank gas and then drive and use up all/most of the gas, keeping RPMs a little higher than usual. Try 89 octane. Good luck.
Old 08-09-2000, 12:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Double check your plug and make SURE it is as recommended (not from PBoys computer) type, heat-range etc. Go with Bosch's Platinum it made all the difference in the world when I switch from Autolites. It was not combusting the fuel completely and I was running way too rich with a rough cold idle. Inspect your plugs for proper condition and gap.

Old 08-10-2000, 08:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: