Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Oil cooler seals

Okay. Here's another one for you. My oil cooler is leaking. Hopefully it's just the seals. I would love to be able to do this job myself because the Porsche mechanic wants $520, $390 of which is for labor. Anybody have any insight on this? It looks like a mutha to get to. Looks like you may have to pull the rack out as well in order to get to the cooler. And other thing since I'm whinning, sure wish I had a hydraulic lift and a garage at the house. I hate having to remove the bumper and spoiler in order to drive up on ramps to get to anything.

Old 08-15-2000, 06:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to hoff944
Thats incredible on the price for the oil cooler seels!!!!! I payed 650 for my timing belt, balance shaft belt, oil cooler seals and gaskets to be replaced.
Old 08-15-2000, 07:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

hoff944, thats a great price, i got a quote for around $2500 for the same work ( incl water pump) where are you at? and what mechanic?
Old 08-21-2002, 07:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

My oil cooler housing was cracked, and I had to replace it. That plus the seal kit ran about $220. Use the following procedure:

http://www.connact.com/~kgross/FAQ/944faqoc.html

The only other recommendation I have is to remove the PS pump, too. For tools, various size extensions and u-joint adapters came in handy.
Old 08-21-2002, 09:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

It isn't that hard at all - you need a little flexability, and remove a couple of things - cap, rotor, oil filter - if you have real big hands, you can remove the PS fluid reservoir and coil - after that, you should have all the space you need.

In addition to changing the seals, you will have to flush out both your cooling and oil systems. - it helps to remove what hoses you can and clean them out seperately.

Why can't you drive up on ramps? I drive up on them all the time - you shouldn't have to take anything off.

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 08-21-2002, 09:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

ok, i don't mean to sound stupid, but where is the oil cooler? i have an oil leak and i think it's my front seals, but i'm also running low on coolant and i seem to have sludgy stuff in the coolant tank..i'm thinkin' i need new oil cooler seals too....i would like to know b/c i have oil all over my skidpan and my oil pressure gauge now reads between 2-3.75 bar all the time. would those oil cooler seals cause that?
Old 08-22-2002, 01:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Proprietoristicly Refined

yOnKiNaToR, You should do the oil cooler seals now. If you DIY get a couple of extra oil filters and a case of oil. Change one immediately after new seals are put in and another in 500 miles. You can ruin your bearings with the ATF/oil mix. Watch your skid pan. If you still have oil drips check your front seals. I just replaced my front oil pump seal and upgraded "O" ring on crankshaft. No more leaks. I read the boards and got help from members.
Old 08-22-2002, 02:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

how hard is it for a novice mechanic to change those seals? i'd rather not pay an arm and a leg for labor. i do need it for work so if i can't do it in a day easily, then i'll have to have someone else do it. what are all the seals needed for the job?
Old 08-22-2002, 06:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
....you know....I think I have mentioned this before.... but a 944 should not be your only form of transportation. These are 15-20 year old cars, they will breakdown, and they are costly to fix (labor).

Don't be driving the car with the coolant mixing with the oil. This will ruin your bearings in no time. You will throw a rod. ANd its BYE BYE.

Stop driving the car Yonkinator.

The oilcooler seals can be done from under the car. You have to loosen or remove the power steering pump, loosen or remove the sway bar. They recommend removing the exhaust manifold, forget that! Too much work. It would make it easier but they are a PITA to remove.

It took me a couple of days, but it can be done in a day with no problem. I just went slowly because I was looking for another problem at the same time.

The seals are cheap ($30).

If you need help everyone here will walk you through it.

Good luck.
www.edmontonrealestate.ws
Old 08-22-2002, 08:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

You can do it. Get the seal kit and oil pressure relief valve "O"ring and seal. 4-6 hours if you work carefully. I recommend the oil pressure valve allignment tool. Similiar to clutch allignment tool. Hi temp RTV. Flush radiator with cleaner to remove oil deposits. Clean overflow tank.
Old 08-23-2002, 08:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by yOnKiNaToR
how hard is it for a novice mechanic to change those seals? i'd rather not pay an arm and a leg for labor. i do need it for work so if i can't do it in a day easily, then i'll have to have someone else do it. what are all the seals needed for the job?
Pelican sells the entire seal kit for something like $40 - 50.

I highly recommend that you not drive the car - AE is correct, the water mixed with your oil will rot your bearings quickly.

The trick is changing the seals, and removing as much water from the oil system and as much oil from the cooling system as possible

You can do the job in a day - to do it right, you are going to need 4 - 6 hours. You are going to get wet and messy.

Drain your coolant, remove your hoses, soak them in soapy water to remove the oil. Take an old bottle brush if you have a lot of the foam stuck to your hoses. Do the same thing for the expansion tank

Drain your oil, remove oil filter , I like to fill the oilpan with mineral spirits to soak off the sludge. Depending on how nasty it is, I also run some spirits down the oil filter tube.

Remove the oil cooler housing - it is that oddly placed box right behind your oil filter. I try to do as much as possible through the top, then get what I can from underneath. Remove the old seals and the oil cooler itself - DO NOT DROP THE COOLER. I soak the cooler, housing, and relief valve in spirits to remove the sludge, then clean with brake cleaner.

Clean out the housing on the engine - brake cleaner works well.

Hose out/backflush your radiator.

Put everything back together, refill your oil, flush your cooling system a couple of times

refill with coolant and bleed

your done.

AFJuvat

Old 08-23-2002, 09:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

it seems as though i not only have oil in my coolant, but i have a milky white substance caked all over and inside the coolant tank..is that oil or something else?

what do i need the oil pressure sleeve alignment tool for?

Last edited by yOnKiNaToR; 08-23-2002 at 03:21 PM..
Old 08-23-2002, 02:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I have done it with and without the relief valve allignment tool. Piece of mind. If the cooler is fitted incorrectly the valve may bind.
Old 08-23-2002, 03:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by yOnKiNaToR
it seems as though i not only have oil in my coolant, but i have a milky white substance caked all over and inside the coolant tank..is that oil or something else?

what do i need the oil pressure sleeve alignment tool for?
Coolant mixed with oil.

AFJuvat

Old 08-23-2002, 05:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Yonk...

I really don't think you are up to the job you describe. With the mix of oil/coolant you could have a number of different contributors. In other words, it could be more than just a couple of o-rings on the oil cooler. I would suggest getting a couple of quotes (don't drive the car until it is fixed) and then enroll in an evening class in basic automotive maintenance. All cars work on the same principles, and the information learned is transferable.

Over many years, I have taken apart and built countless engines, transmissions, etc. However, without a "roadmap" (manual of some kind) I hesitate to take any major assembly apart. If you have a Haynes, study it. If you have the wherewithall to get a CD of the Porsche manual, do so. And study it. I can't say this often enough. Get familiar with every assembly in your car. Even if you elect not to do the work yourself, you will at least have a good idea what is involved and you will have less of your hard earned cash removed from your wallet by less than honest shops.

Good luck.

Bob S.
Old 08-23-2002, 09:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

update:

my coolant is being used really fast..i have to refill it every 4 days or so. i know i have an oil leak, but i'm thinking that leak is also coolant. i also checked my oil and within 2-3 weeks of driving i havne't lost ANY oil...how could that be if it's mixing with the coolant and i'm losing the coolant? while checking my oil, i notice the same sludgy stuff that's in my coolant tank on the oil dipstick..just on the bubble thing on the dipstick though. could this mean headgasket?

well, guys..if i can't get this fixed, i may have to sell the car and get a more dependable daily driver.

Last edited by yOnKiNaToR; 08-27-2002 at 08:51 AM..
Old 08-27-2002, 08:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

STOP DRIVING THE CAR!

You definately need new oil cooler seals - the coolant and oil is mixing in your crankcase.

Accurate coolant/oil levels are difficult to determine at this point - too much foamy sludge and you can start blocking oil galleries.

Order the parts and get everything replaced. If this job is above your mechanical skills, tow (do not drive) the car to a shop and get it done. The water in the oil can and will have a corrosive effect on your bearings.

You are risking severe engine damage by continuing to drive the car

AFJuvat

Old 08-27-2002, 09:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to todwic Send a message via Yahoo to todwic
I drive my '84 944 to and fro to work everyday, and (knock on wood) it has yet to make me call in. That's not to say bad timming would not have made this different, but she has the couth to break down totally on the weekends, she fires right up every morning @4:45. That being said, you have to do these things
  1. have an aggressive P.M. program.
  2. when you have a problem, don't screw around, get right on it, find the culprit and fix it if fixable, replace if you have to. just make it right, A.S.A.P.
  3. follow the advice of the people on the board when the give it to you (not me so much, but everyone else* knows what they're talking about)
  4. talk to your car and pat her on the butt at least twice a week. I'm not kidding. they like it to the left of the rear license plat.

Happy driving!
'86 951
Providing ignorance one post at a time.
Old 08-27-2002, 08:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to todwic Send a message via Yahoo to todwic
Yok, give me the car. You are killing her. if you continue on this track, your motor will be useless, except as an anchor. The white stuff on your dipstick is called "Milkshake", but it's not a tasty dairy beverage. Read this
and this and this go here visit this place You could do worse than here
'86 951
Providing ignorance one post at a time.
Old 08-28-2002, 04:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

first off...what alignment tool should i get..there are 2 on the list here at pelican.

i'm gonna try doin' the work either myself with a helper (who is a mechanic) or i'm gonna take it to a guy i know. after that, i may have to sell it because my parents don't like me having it...maintenance sucks and it's not dependable enough for them. so, if anybody is interested in an '88 924S SE let me know.

Old 08-28-2002, 11:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: