Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
Thanks John; it's coming together. Trying not to coast on the downhill!

Which Contis did you go with? I've had good experience with them, and run them on a few cars. No problems, and great bang for the buck. Micheys do tend to balance out better, though.

In terms of clear-coat contamination, your guess is on point, and things were pretty clean. Hopefully the next round of pics will assuage any fears!

2005 BMW 330xi
2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Old 08-31-2020, 05:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
With the interior fully back together (for now - more on that later), I turned my attention to those ignored 951 Tele's.

Since there was only light curbing on the wheels, and there were fresh tires at the ready (and in the way), a superficial refresh was on the menu. I sanded them down, filled a few gouges with metal-reinforced Bondo, prepped, and primed. 2 cans of Wurth wheel paint and 2 cans of clear later, they're done!

Not bad for a day's work. Maybe I'll refinish them fully at some point down the road, but they look great from a few feet, and balanced up nicely.

New shoes for Sputnik - err, Portia!

With flashy new kicks, your laces can't look like this...

Yeah, I used a Sharpie. Seriously, I do this every year or two on my Rays Duralumin lugs with great results; it soaks right in. Two passes and they're back to black
2005 BMW 330xi
2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Old 09-01-2020, 09:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
While I was working on the wheels, Jet took the 944 a few houses up our block, to work his magic with the buffer at home. Better shade, and a much cleaner driveway make for great detailing conditions. He paid close attention to the hood (both sides!), which went on without issue, and still lines up great.

As the sun went down, Portia was once again tucked back into my garage. With bodywork now complete, I thought it a proper and fitting time to apply that period-correct Porsche crest I'd picked up, and paired with a new OEM seal. Together, and slowly, they were pressed into the grommets, with help from a gentle touch

2005 BMW 330xi
2017 Subaru BRZ PP

Last edited by SilverLined; 09-02-2020 at 09:04 AM..
Old 09-01-2020, 09:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Time to put those wheels on!

Let's get her into the sun and see what's what.

I really like Gemini in direct light; lots of gold and brown in there that isn't noticeable in the shade.

Overall, I couldn't be happier with the color selection, process, and paint-job.

And... goodnight.

For now.
2005 BMW 330xi
2017 Subaru BRZ PP

Last edited by SilverLined; 09-01-2020 at 10:26 AM..
Old 09-01-2020, 10:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
My Contiís are Extreme Contact. Drives me nuts when a tire wonít balance, especially a good-name one. And on a 911, you know you feel it (minimal weight in front). I have access to nice Hunter gear etc, but a good tire shouldnít need all the tricks thrown at it. The Contiís I out on my wifeís CRV are fine but Iíll choose something else for the 924S.

I bet you Wurth wheel paint job will look excellent for at least five-six years.

John
Old 09-01-2020, 11:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)
Have 944, will restore

Looks absolutely incredible!!! What a difference new paint and a nice set of 951 wheels make!! Do you plan on installing the Porsche decal on the rear below the taillights once the paint has had a chance to be on the car for a bit?
04 RX-8 Brilliant Black 6spd/ 04 RX-8 Nordic Green 6spd
84 Corvette 4+3/ 18 Camry SE
Old 09-02-2020, 02:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeffries View Post
My Conti’s are Extreme Contact. Drives me nuts when a tire won’t balance, especially a good-name one. And on a 911, you know you feel it (minimal weight in front). I have access to nice Hunter gear etc, but a good tire shouldn’t need all the tricks thrown at it. The Conti’s I out on my wife’s CRV are fine but I’ll choose something else for the 924S.

I bet you Wurth wheel paint job will look excellent for at least five-six years.

John
Hmm, same tire as mine. I've had four sets now, on different cars, without issue. You have my attention on that one.

Sure hope to get five out of this finish, John! If not, I know I can do a little better with a full refresh, rather than just faces only. At that point, I may send them out to a pro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazdaverx7 View Post
Looks absolutely incredible!!! What a difference new paint and a nice set of 951 wheels make!! Do you plan on installing the Porsche decal on the rear below the taillights once the paint has had a chance to be on the car for a bit?
Thank you! That was the idea. Nice wheels on a clean car is a tried-and-true recipe for success; a layup, even! There are a few more touches that I have in mind, which will continue to enhance the car, without crossing the line. I hope. "Too much" is of course, subjective, so I hope my vision translates well!

You bring up a good point re the decal. My eagerness to maintain velocity has me skipping over some not-so-unimportant details; and for that, I apologize! In terms of the rear of the car, I thought long and hard about the badge and sticker situation, and am still mulling things over, to a point.

Since the spoiler, bumperettes, trim, and even lug nuts are all black, I figured the original light silver theme, though correct for the car, wasn't quite in keeping with my plan. So, I sourced a new OEM black badge and a black PORSCHE decal. A small, but significant departure, in terms of the overall look. I'm still deciding whether or not to put the decal on the car, and will probably cave and slap it on when I put on the new stone/fender guards (also in the pile). Or maybe not. Either way, I'll wait another week or two before applying... there's still time.

As you can see in the pic, a new lock cylinder seal was also installed. And there might be something special hiding in the cargo area

More to come!
2005 BMW 330xi
2017 Subaru BRZ PP

Last edited by SilverLined; 09-02-2020 at 09:05 AM..
Old 09-02-2020, 06:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ERAU944
holy. cow.

that looks amazing!
'14 Ford Focus ST - tangerine scream/black
'83 944 - zermatt silber/black - Dad's 40k mile time capsule. purchased in 09-1998 @ 18k
Old 09-02-2020, 06:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Also, YES! I did the 951 valance on my '84 as well as 968 mirrors... its the way to go!
'14 Ford Focus ST - tangerine scream/black
'83 944 - zermatt silber/black - Dad's 40k mile time capsule. purchased in 09-1998 @ 18k
Old 09-03-2020, 12:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Thank you for your kind words! We are really happy with the results. I can't wait to get her rolling - hope to be out there before/as the leaves fall

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERAU944 View Post
Also, YES! I did the 951 valance on my '84 as well as 968 mirrors... its the way to go!
Keen eye. The 951 valence is a must on any 944, aesthetically speaking. The rear end is a bit of a let down (let up?), sans valance.
2005 BMW 330xi
2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Old 09-03-2020, 03:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverLined View Post
Thank you for your kind words! We are really happy with the results. I can't wait to get her rolling - hope to be out there before/as the leaves fall

Keen eye. The 951 valence is a must on any 944, aesthetically speaking. The rear end is a bit of a let down (let up?), sans valance.
I didnít mind before but after purchasing a 951 it really started looking incomplete. It really makes the back end pop!

Old 09-03-2020, 03:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Beautiful body of work Silver. Impressive to do the paint & clear outside---uber ballzy. Great color! Am wondering if there was any contamination from drifting stuff, bugs, etc that you had to deal with?

Nice touch with the Sharpie. Gona have a go at that.

ps - thanks for link John

Current: '80 Silver Targa w /'85 3.2
Prior: '77 Copper 924. '73 Black 914. '74 White Carrera. '79 Silver/Black/Anthracite 930s.

Last edited by Discseven; 09-04-2020 at 08:53 AM.. Reason: Sharpie
Old 09-04-2020, 08:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERAU944 View Post
I didnít mind before but after purchasing a 951 it really started looking incomplete. It really makes the back end pop!
Yes, it sure does. Yours looks great!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discseven View Post
Beautiful body of work Silver. Impressive to do the paint & clear outside---uber ballzy. Great color! Am wondering if there was any contamination from drifting stuff, bugs, etc that you had to deal with?

Nice touch with the Sharpie. Gona have a go at that.

ps - thanks for link John
Discseven, welcome and thank you. I was skeptical of an outdoor paint job at first, and assumed that an enclosed booth was the only way to achieve a high-quality finish. But that changed when I saw the work my neighbor was doing in his driveway... Since I'd seen what was possible, it wasn't so brave. You can count me among the converted and confirmed: you don't need a booth!

Painting under the tent and in favorable weather, there were was very little contamination. We had two or three spots that needed some attention after the fact; one of which was my fault. Tip: don't take your hat off anywhere near fresh clear, hairs do fall

All credit to Jet, here. I've seen more dust nibs, fish-eyes, and other imperfections in the majority of body work that friends and family have had done at reputable shops. You would never know this car was painted in some guy's driveway!
2005 BMW 330xi
2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Old 09-04-2020, 06:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverLined View Post
Discseven, welcome and thank you. I was skeptical of an outdoor paint job at first, and assumed that an enclosed booth was the only way to achieve a high-quality finish. But that changed when I saw the work my neighbor was doing in his driveway... Since I'd seen what was possible, it wasn't so brave. You can count me among the converted and confirmed: you don't need a booth!

Painting under the tent and in favorable weather, there were was very little contamination. We had two or three spots that needed some attention after the fact; one of which was my fault. Tip: don't take your hat off anywhere near fresh clear, hairs do fall

All credit to Jet, here. I've seen more dust nibs, fish-eyes, and other imperfections in the majority of body work that friends and family have had done at reputable shops. You would never know this car was painted in some guy's driveway!
Am doing outdoor spray on my car today if weather is right. Small bit compared to your whole car. John knows my project and so sent me a link to what you accomplished. Again, altogether impressive. And motivating. Wasn't planning to wear a hat---now I am. Thanks for that Silver!

Current: '80 Silver Targa w /'85 3.2
Prior: '77 Copper 924. '73 Black 914. '74 White Carrera. '79 Silver/Black/Anthracite 930s.
Old 09-05-2020, 01:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Silver, your car and ERAU's both continue to reinforce how impressively Porsche kept evolving the basic 1975 924 bodyshell, penned I believe by Tony Lapine. There's a great Excellence article by the one and only (best automotive write evah!) Karl Ludvigsen about that original design coming into life (the same content is likely also within the new edition of Excellence Was Expected). I'll see if I can find it.

My favorite of the series is the 951/944S2 coupe. But a 968 would be a sweet thing to own, too, and likely the most satisfying to drive. Not to besmirch or belittle your 944NA's or my humble 924S.

John
82 911SC coupe, 3 seasons near-daily use; 87 924S, project ... see my thread http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-924-944-968-technical-forum/1046846-johnjs-87-924s-rehabilitation.html Past: 6x Alfas; 01 V70 2.4T; 95 Accord CD555; 89 944S2; 89 FJ62 Landcruiser; 82 Celica; 77 CJ5; 74 Beetle; 67 TR4A; 62 Midget; ?Year Lambretta Li 150 (my brother's actually); 76 Fiat 126 (Mum's); ?Year Isetta 300 (Dad's)
Old 09-05-2020, 09:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discseven View Post
Am doing outdoor spray on my car today if weather is right. Small bit compared to your whole car. John knows my project and so sent me a link to what you accomplished. Again, altogether impressive. And motivating. Wasn't planning to wear a hat---now I am. Thanks for that Silver!
Perfect day for it, if your weather is anything like mine! Good luck out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeffries View Post
Silver, your car and ERAU's both continue to reinforce how impressively Porsche kept evolving the basic 1975 924 bodyshell, penned I believe by Tony Lapine. There's a great Excellence article by the one and only (best automotive write evah!) Karl Ludvigsen about that original design coming into life (the same content is likely also within the new edition of Excellence Was Expected). I'll see if I can find it.

My favorite of the series is the 951/944S2 coupe. But a 968 would be a sweet thing to own, too, and likely the most satisfying to drive. Not to besmirch or belittle your 944NA's or my humble 924S.

John
It's a nice step-by-step progression with the transaxle cars. The design language is consistent and building, in that lovely Porsche way.

I think that the 968 is fully matured, refined, and there's a place for that. Same with the drive, which I expect would be seamless with that big 3.0 and slick 6MT. Similar could be said of the S2, I'd think. But I do enjoy the rawness of the early 944 - it's just right. It fits. The window seal being proud rather than flush, along with the bumperettes, really captures that early Porsche vibe. And the 944 is the epitome of 80's automotive design, Porsche or not. Just look at the imitators, which were halo cars in their own right... the Mazda RX-7 (FC), and Mitsubishi Starion (early 4G63) were both blatant rip-offs. Those cars were not slouches, but they couldn't catch the Turbo that they were after. I would love to own a 951, one day!
2005 BMW 330xi
2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Old 09-05-2020, 11:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Happy Labor Day all! Hope everyone takes a moment of pause to realize how good life is, even in "interesting" times like these.

Let me amend my last post about the 968's sleepy laurels, in light of recent reading:
https://www.porscheroadandrace.com/porsches-fabulous-968-turbo-rs/

I didn't know such cars existed!! Definitely the front-engined Porsche to own.
2005 BMW 330xi
2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Old 09-07-2020, 06:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Back to business.

With Jet's heroic work essentially complete, and the task of crossing the finish line with Portia now squarely on my shoulders, updates from this point will likely be fewer and less-substantial. But I'm going to do my best to tackle the next components of this build in an expeditious manner. We are now in real time. Don't drop the ball, Ed.

In order, we have/had:

Part 1 - evaluation, cleaning, planning
Part 2 - tear-down & bodywork
Part 3 - paint & clear-coat
Part 4 - parts restoration & reassembly

Part 5 - engine bay & undercarriage
Part 6 - interior (refurbishing or replacing the seats and dash)
Part 7 - loose ends (final cosmetic touches [i.e.: valance], and any mechanical tangents taken along the way)

My "shoot for the stars" goal is to be done by the end of September. Back on planet Earth, as long as I can take a few glory pics before the leaves all fall off the trees, I'll consider it a win. This strategy allows for a little wiggle-room, as I can always drive south, right?

So, on to the engine bay then. Remember that fuel leak? I'd tightened the fittings to the rail and dampers, but to no avail. The leak was coming from the fuel rail itself - the arm to the damper had a crack in the weld, and was dripping slowly, but surely.

I set about removing the rail, and along the way checked out the injectors, since I'd seen a receipt for a fuel injector service by the 2nd P.O. from about 3 years ago. Etched S/N on the body, and fresh looking O-rings; that checks out. The leaking fuel rail will go up the road to Putnam Radiator, an old school radiator repair shop (how many of these are left?!) for brazing. These guys are great, and can handle any specialty task you can throw at them.

With the fuel rail out of the way, my cam tower was now fully-exposed to the light of day, in all its decrepitude. It'd be a sin to leave this beautiful casting in such a sorry state! After a round with some baking soda, vinegar, and a brass brush, we have this:

No more corrosion, but not quite up to spec. About 3 rounds with Mother's metal polish yielded a better result:

Clean cam tower, check. The intake manifold wasn't bad, so it cleaned up pretty easily. Time to drop off the fuel rail, and hope they can salvage it. That Lindsey racing setup is trick, but pricey! In the meantime...

When all things are dirty, none stand out. If you start cleaning them, be prepared to finish the job. Not done yet, meine Schatz!

I sanded, prepped, and painted the bracket. Polished the metal on the AFM, and painted the plastic case. Applied Back-to-Black on the intake hose.

With operation Bay Blitz complete, I went to pick up the newly brazed rail, which was handed to me with a nod of confidence. Injectors were wiped down, and I reapplied di-electric grease where appropriate. Time to button things up:

Looking respectable, and, more importantly, far less flammable. I'd say inflammable, but that means flammable, too

I'm keeping my options open for fuel lines, having read about potential Car-B-Q scenarios. The ones on the car are fresh, and well-insulated, so I'll let that be for now. Also, the coolant level is a touch low because of UKW. The car was originally running an aftermarket short-ram intake, and it looks like someone shortened that radiator hose for a tighter fit, and more clearance from the fans. With the OEM airbox back in place, the hose now makes contact with the intake tube. I removed the hose (and a good pint of violet coolant in the process) to walk it back/rotate it a bit, but wasn't able to get enough slack to fully clear the intake tube.

These hoses are not supposed to touch on an OEM setup, correct?
2005 BMW 330xi
2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Old 09-08-2020, 05:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Nice nice nice. Stock looks best. A car from the days when you could see all that German goodness ... quality castings, yellow cad plating, all the business right there, not obscured under cheesy plastic covers. Same reason we all like BMW's from this era, too. And ... your project again proves the adage about buying something that's already sound and just making it better.

That 924S in Wappingers Falls is crying out for someone to give it this same kind of love (see Craigslist, Westchester NY). It looks like it wouldn't even need paint, just a quality buff.

Hmmmmm, I'm turning into the crazy old person trying to find homes for wayward dogs, or under-appreciated Porsches.

John
82 911SC coupe, 3 seasons near-daily use; 87 924S, project ... see my thread http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-924-944-968-technical-forum/1046846-johnjs-87-924s-rehabilitation.html Past: 6x Alfas; 01 V70 2.4T; 95 Accord CD555; 89 944S2; 89 FJ62 Landcruiser; 82 Celica; 77 CJ5; 74 Beetle; 67 TR4A; 62 Midget; ?Year Lambretta Li 150 (my brother's actually); 76 Fiat 126 (Mum's); ?Year Isetta 300 (Dad's)
Old 09-08-2020, 08:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Great

Great looking 944! Love it

Phone dial rims
Old 09-10-2020, 08:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: