Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Patrick

Garage
Hey Ed,
I've got a present for you that appears to be missing from your engine bay when you come this weekend... Can you guess what it is??

Old 09-10-2020, 05:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #61 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche304 View Post
Great looking 944! Love it
Me, too! Thanks for stopping by, 304

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfarah View Post
Hey Ed,
I've got a present for you that appears to be missing from your engine bay when you come this weekend... Can you guess what it is??
Radiator hose bracketry?!

Sunday it is! Should be a good trip down.
2005 BMW 330xi
2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Old 09-10-2020, 05:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)
Patrick

Garage
Actually...
Old 09-10-2020, 07:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #63 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Always a fan of stickers, especially OEM spec'd! Danke!!
2005 BMW 330xi
2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Old 09-10-2020, 08:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)
Have 944, will restore

That sticker is a must have!! Is it still available?
04 RX-8 Brilliant Black 6spd/ 04 RX-8 Nordic Green 6spd
84 Corvette 4+3/ 18 Camry SE
Old 09-11-2020, 03:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #65 (permalink)
Patrick

Garage
They're available online unless our host has them...?
Old 09-11-2020, 07:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #66 (permalink)

Have 944, will restore

Definitely worth digging into!! Thank you!
Old 09-12-2020, 05:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #67 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie944 View Post
FYI that steering is very desirable ,not all 944 was fit with it,originaly it's from a 911-911SC & 930 Turbo.Evan Ruf a German Porsche tweaker had one fit in his BTR slant nose but with the Ruf logo .see pics,
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverLined View Post
I do love this steering wheel! I'd seen it on a few 930's, as you mention, but didn't know it was so hard to come by. eBay says you're right... $600?!?!

i've thrown away 3-4 of those wheels over the years because i thought they were ugly...lol...i couldve been rich!

i much prefer the 4-spoke non-airbag wheel.

this is a cool project!
Old 09-12-2020, 08:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #68 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Was thinking about your wheels choice,Phone Dial look very nice on your car ,but since you mention Fuchs a close relatives of them will be Cookies Cutter with Polish lips & painted center will come close to Fuchs ,not certain if they did come in 16'' dimension .A members here did his way back & they look pretty good...see pic
Old 09-12-2020, 10:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #69 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by v2rocket_aka944 View Post

i've thrown away 3-4 of those wheels over the years because i thought they were ugly...lol...i couldve been rich!

i much prefer the 4-spoke non-airbag wheel.

this is a cool project!
Thank you man! Glad you stopped in to check it out.

Regarding the wheel, I was on the fence when I first sat in the car, but the chunky look of the 3-spoke has grown on me. It feels pretty good in the hands, too. That sucks that you tossed yours! Since it was a shared part (similar to the optional early 944 Recaro sport seats), we also share in the associated price hike for anything 911-related... call it the 911 tax. Meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie944 View Post
Was thinking about your wheels choice,Phone Dial look very nice on your car ,but since you mention Fuchs a close relatives of them will be Cookies Cutter with Polish lips & painted center will come close to Fuchs ,not certain if they did come in 16'' dimension .A members here did his way back & they look pretty good...see pic
Thanks Ernie, those would look great on the car. Anything with a black center and a polished lip does a 944 body good! For me, the 16's are a must, however. And something about the hard lines of the car, versus the soft look of the "tele's" just works for me. When I was a kid, My Uncle gave me one of those coffee table books, "Great Cars of the World"... in it was a beautiful 951 on phone dials. My subconscious muse for Portia, perhaps.
2005 BMW 330xi
2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Old 09-13-2020, 05:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #70 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
You have the best wheels possible for your car, IMO; I feel Fuchs are for 911's and 930's, not this family of cars. Only my opinion. And for me, 15" wheels are just too weedy on the modern design that is the 944 family.

My SC has that three-spoke wheel stock; I believe it's 380mm. No power steering in 911's until the 964, so you don't want a little, go-fast (350mm) wheel. For mine, I was lucky enough to score a coveted Extended Hub wheel of the same design, very desirable to bring the wheel and extra inch back from being so close to the dashboard. In my 924S parts stash, I have a similar hub purchased here on the forum; once the car is together and I have some road-time behind the wheel, I'll decide if the car needs it; having one's arms over-extended by a particularly distant steering wheel is tough on the neck, shoulders and uper back.

John
82 911SC coupe, 3 seasons near-daily use; 87 924S, project ... see my thread http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-924-944-968-technical-forum/1046846-johnjs-87-924s-rehabilitation.html Past: 6x Alfas; 01 V70 2.4T; 95 Accord CD555; 89 944S2; 89 FJ62 Landcruiser; 82 Celica; 77 CJ5; 74 Beetle; 67 TR4A; 62 Midget; ?Year Lambretta Li 150 (my brother's actually); 76 Fiat 126 (Mum's); ?Year Isetta 300 (Dad's)
Old 09-13-2020, 05:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #71 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
You get it. As soon as I saw this set for sale, I had to drive right back up to MA to pick them up. It was well worth the trip.

The extended wheel hub isn't for everyone, but if it keeps you ergonomic, it's a must. To get a good position, I put the seat all the way back, adjust the upright to comfortable, and while keeping shoulders back/touching the seat, extend arms to touch wrists to the steering wheel. Adjust seat closer as necessary. I've been in cars with extended hubs, and haven't been able to get full extension without a gangsta-lean. But everyone is built differently. Long femurs and humerus bones, maybe. Humerae?

Speaking of seating positions, and trips to Massachusetts, we're overdue for an update... but first, there was a big loose end to deal with in the engine bay before proceeding with interior shenanigans.

Since the car had scarcely been started since parking it at the end of June, the already weak battery decided to let go completely. No problem, right? I'd checked the battery tray upon purchase, and it felt solid enough with a few pokes, but I never peeled back the layers. As you may have already guessed, I was in for a nasty surprise. Removing the four rubber pads reveled a well-rusted area around, and including the drain.

This will never do.

I scraped, sanded, and brushed away the surface rust, and removed factory body sealant that had separated due to time and moisture.

Thankfully, the rust did not make it all the way through - no holes. The drain, seams, and strut corner area were sealed with POR15 (which is nasty stuff, use it sparingly, and with a mask!), then I skimmed with metal-reinforced Bondo, primed with Rustoleum red rust-inhibiting primer, then a quick coat of Rustoleum satin black.

I may spray it body color at some point, but for now, it's good. Rust is insidious - this issue may present again over time - but I'm confident that I've caught the worst of it, and drastically slowed things down. Should drain a little better now, too.

With a new T6 battery installed, she started right up. Narsty job done!
2005 BMW 330xi
2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Old 09-18-2020, 07:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #72 (permalink)
Patrick

Garage
Very nice job!
Old 09-19-2020, 03:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #73 (permalink)
Have 944, will restore

Glad you caught that when you did. Its been on my mind for my 944. I know is crusty and needs attention. Part of me is afraid to look haha. I'll tend to it today perhaps as I have to run to the parts store for paint for my pullies anyways. Can't hurt to pick up some paint for the battery tray. I think the black looks good honestly. Cleaning it and painting it will definitely slow things down for a long time! POR15 would also be a good choice and I may go that route once I dig into the tray and assess its current condition.
Old 09-19-2020, 05:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #74 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazdaverx7 View Post
Glad you caught that when you did. Its been on my mind for my 944. I know is crusty and needs attention. Part of me is afraid to look haha.
I was in that boat... it was a few hours worth of work, but my sleep has improved since finishing the task

Git'erdunn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfarah View Post
Very nice job!
Thank you, Patrick. Definitely a priority before moving on to interior cosmetics. Out of the way now... so here we go!
2005 BMW 330xi
2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Old 09-19-2020, 08:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #75 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Part 6: Interior

Barring any other small engine-bay issues/projects that may pop up, that leaves the undercarriage as the final outstanding component of part 5. I'll circle back to that in the coming days; but in the meantime, the real action is on the interior front.

On Sunday I set off due East, to pfarah's, where I met the tinkerer himself, picked up a back-up dashboard, a treasure trove of valuable information, and a couple of essential detail bits for the engine-bay:

Oh yeah, and these:

OEM optional Recaro sport seats, woohoo! These are the correct early 944 sport seats that were also shared with the 911. Thanks to Patrick, this Porsche's interior will soon offer much more supportive places for arses. The leather on these is toast, but the foam is great, so with a new set of covers, we'll be in business. For comparison's sake, I popped in the passenger seat, sat down, and imagined that fresh leather smell

Aside from the seats, the dashboard represents the obvious weak link. Hence the "core" dash from Patrick. My plan was to fix up this core, a la John's refurbishment (I can only hope to achieve his results), and then sell, either fixed up or original, my old dash.

Those plans evolved when I stumbled upon yet another CL posting: "Porsche 944 parts," the ad said. Ok, I'll bite. Turns out, a gentleman was cleaning out his storage unit. A few years back, his son had a 944 that he was fixing up, and parts accumulated for the build. Son moved out, got busy with life, sold the Porsche, and left said parts with dad. The ad had a picture of a pile of interior stuff, including what looked like a decent early dash, a full exhaust, a 951 front bumper, carpeted door cards, and some other random interior bits for a good all-in price. Off I went, to claim the hoarde. The dash proved to be in quite good nick, with only a few cracks by the vents. It'll make a great fall-back, in case my refinished project dash doesn't pass muster. Score!

Most of the stuff in this attic pic will be up for sale. No, there is no 951 front end conversion planned, so don't get any ideas!

Since front seats are now getting the royal treatment, and a plan is in place - including an acceptable backup plan - for the dashboard situation, all other spaces must now meet, or exceed. The back seat is sun-bleached and cracked on top. The early sun visors were flimsy when new, and are downright floppy today, precariously held in by cracked clips (scroll back up to the installed seat pic to see the new goods, installed... couldn't wait!). Even the gauges, which were protected from direct sun, felt the heat over the years, with visible cracks in the poly. The clutch and brake pedals also show their age, and the plastic shifter insert is warped, high on the back side. Again, once you refresh one, be prepared to go all in.

I found a nice rear seat right here on these boards, (thanks, 87roadracer!), and made a great local connection along the way. eBay was the source for a fresh-looking set of late sun visors, and a pristine trio of early gauges. Pelican Parts supplied a new pair of OEM replacement visor clips, new brake and clutch pedals, and a blingy shifter insert. Fast shipping, per usual.

With these parts laying in wait (and a few necessaries already installed), I'll get the ball rolling on replacement leather for the Recaros, and break out the creeper for Portia's forthcoming undercarriage tickle-fest. Much more to come...
2005 BMW 330xi
2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Old 09-19-2020, 09:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #76 (permalink)
Patrick

Garage
Glad you like the seats and your engine bay is now complete with that decal/rubber plug in place.
Old 09-19-2020, 05:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #77 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
This is an excellent project with momentum and primo results. Will be a benchmark for others to bring back their 944ís from the precipice, as these cars start to realize proper values. Cool time to be a member of the 924/44/68 community.

John
Old 09-20-2020, 07:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #78 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
Thanks for the support, guys!

I took her for a drive around Bear Mountain and Route 202, since I'm expecting to be out of the driver's seat for a while once I dive into the interior. These are some of the best roads in the country, in my humble opinion. Scenic, technically complex, tons of elevation, and few cars on the road this Sunday morning.

It's been a few pages since we've seen anything shiny... took a few pics, soon to come.
2005 BMW 330xi
2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Old 09-20-2020, 08:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #79 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Aside from being in the low 40's (about right for the start of fall, hmph), it was a gorgeous start to the day:

These last two pics are from a chance encounter yesterday evening with another Porsche fan, who happened to have a camera in his trunk while doing grocery shopping!

Great guy, with a good eye. Will connect with him again as things wrap up

2005 BMW 330xi
2017 Subaru BRZ PP

Last edited by SilverLined; 09-20-2020 at 08:55 AM..
Old 09-20-2020, 08:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #80 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: