Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
Any thoughts about bringing that rear ride height down a notch?

John

82 911SC coupe, 3 seasons near-daily use; 87 924S, project ... see my thread http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-924-944-968-technical-forum/1046846-johnjs-87-924s-rehabilitation.html Past: 6x Alfas; 01 V70 2.4T; 95 Accord CD555; 89 944S2; 89 FJ62 Landcruiser; 82 Celica; 77 CJ5; 74 Beetle; 67 TR4A; 62 Midget; ?Year Lambretta Li 150 (my brother's actually); 76 Fiat 126 (Mum's); ?Year Isetta 300 (Dad's)
Old 09-20-2020, 01:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #81 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Yes! It could probably use -5-10 mil, right? Are they literally notches or is it a sliding adjustment?

edit:

Neither, it's an eccentric bolt. Thanks for the suggestion, John!

Will tackle this when I get to the bushes etc under the car
2005 BMW 330xi
2017 Subaru BRZ PP

Last edited by SilverLined; 09-20-2020 at 05:16 PM.. Reason: due-dilly
Old 09-20-2020, 05:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #82 (permalink)
Have 944, will restore

The car looks excellent out on the road! Has it been running and driving well for you? Do you notice any road feeling or handling improvements with the new wheels and tires?
04 RX-8 Brilliant Black 6spd/ 04 RX-8 Nordic Green 6spd
84 Corvette 4+3/ 18 Camry SE
Old 09-21-2020, 03:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #83 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazdaverx7 View Post
The car looks excellent out on the road! Has it been running and driving well for you? Do you notice any road feeling or handling improvements with the new wheels and tires?
Thanks man it feels great to get out there in it, even if it's short-lived. This week I'm going to get to work on the dash, so she'll be off the road until next month.

The car runs really well, overall. I hadn't driven on the old wheel/tire setup for nearly 3 months, and my other current drivers are the BRZ and Lexus, so my calibration is all over the map when it comes to steering response and feel right now. I'll put the old wheels back on the car at some point for a back-to-back comparison, but from what I remember the wheel has similar weighting and feel, with the main difference being limit feel and feedback, since the wider & lower-profile summer Continentals have so much more grip over those Bridgestone Ecopias. Good Q and I'll definitely revisit.

There are a few new blips, though. The sunroof switch has stopped working (well, half of it). Maybe cleaning the contacts will help, so that's to do. Frustratingly, going over big bumps, the hatch was releasing and popping up. I checked that the locks were engaging and releasing smoothly, good. Closed it 3 times on the road before finally realizing the driver's side pin was coming loose. So I ordered up some new pins and retainers. Then, because good things come in threes, I was cleaning the back window (especially the defroster lines), and knocked off the dang doo-dad:

Is this a ground? Assuming and hoping a bit of solder will fix this up?

As with most cars of a certain age, with driving and use come more scribbles on the white-board. The list was getting shorter, but now it's getting longer, again!
2005 BMW 330xi
2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Old 09-21-2020, 05:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #84 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Us Limey’s call this process “sorting”, which often involves a bit of “fettling”. To quote the original Lexus ads, it’s “ the relentless pursuit of perfection”.

John
Old 09-22-2020, 08:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #85 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeffries View Post
Us Limey’s call this process “sorting”, which often involves a bit of “fettling”. To quote the original Lexus ads, it’s “ the relentless pursuit of perfection”.

John
+1,2, & 3 on this!
Old 09-22-2020, 10:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #86 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
It's been a while! Happy Halloween to all.

There are a number of items left on the project list, as I'm reminded by my whiteboard almost daily. After our last update, I placed an order with Lseat.com for covers to refinish the sport seats. I was expecting them to arrive last week, but am still waiting patiently, which has been made a little easier by an unexpected distraction.

There's a deli local to my mom's house that makes the best wedges in the area, and was a high school staple for me. Unfortunately, they're struggling with reduced business, so I try to go often these days. While waiting for my lunch a couple of weeks ago, I heard that the family who lived in the adjacent residential lot had an "old sports car" that they were trying to sell. I left my number out of curiosity, of course. The next day, a nice woman named Ellen called me back, and gave me the details. The car was a 1992 Mazda Mx-3 V6 5MT with 89k miles. Ellen purchased it new as a birthday present for herself, and drove it back and forth to Lake George every summer for 25 years with her husband, Bob. The car was loved and well-maintained (service records all the way back), but clogged sunroof drains and a separating windshield seal forced it off the road in 2017.

When I went to check it out, she and Bob said they wanted $500 for the car, as long as I promised to get it back on the road. I hooked up my jump box, and turned the key. It coughed and sputtered to life, and after a creaky lurch from the brakes, rolled into the light. Aside from a pronounced misfire, a lot of dirt, and bit of rust at the rear of the rocker panels, the car was all there, and all stock. So, I drove it home! Did I mention it has a V6 and three pedals??

Most of these cars suffered sad fates due to low values, similar to the CRX and NX2000. They fell into the hands of teenagers, and other unsavory individuals who poorly modified, wrecked, and/or drove them into the ground. Or they just rotted away. With only a handful still on the road, the MX-3 has largely been forgotten. After doing some digging online, I found exactly zero transactions in the last year, which is astonishing. No eBay, no AutoTempest, nothing. This car is a rare bird, indeed.

After getting it home safely, I got to work cleaning things up. This process is fun for me, and, per usual, I developed a soft spot for this little MX-3 as the shine came back. It's definitely of that early 90's econo-jellybean era, but has good presence in person. It's wide and relatively low. The seating position is anything but economy, however, and you sit in it like the 944.

The original paint cleaned up pretty well, but needs a few touch-ups:

The seats are great; the fronts are low and supportive (they're apparently JDM Recaros!) and the back is functional and funky. The kammback design allows for a lot of depth in the hatch area, and seats fold down similar to the 944. There's a nice pre-airbag three-spoke steering wheel, heel-toe-conducive pedals, and good driver ergonomics overall, as you'd expect of golden-era Mazda. The auto-belts suck, but you can't have it all for five-hundred bucks.

2005 BMW 330xi
2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Old 10-31-2020, 07:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #87 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Maintenance and CarFax inspection records show it was consistently driven about 3,000 miles/year from '92 to 2017, which is in line with what Ellen told me about usage. The hard plastics have held up remarkably well in comparison to what Germany was doing at the time.

I haven't had a proper go with the car (it was a ginger ride home), so I can't say much about the engine, transmission, suspension, or brakes, but let me geek out over the engineering under the hood, if I may... this was Mazda's first iteration of the succesful K-series V6. Built as a specialty JDM-only engine for Mazda's Eunos luxury brand (small engines paid less tax, but buyers wanted V6 sophistication), the MX-3's K-8 displaces only 1.8 liters. This would make the car interesting enough in it's own right, since it represents the smallest mass-produced V6 ever, but this little six isn't just a novelty engine, it's highly over-built. It has a split crankcase, four-bolt mains, a forged crankshaft, and forged connecting rods. The "suggested" red-line starts at 7kRPM, but fuel cutoff is at 7,800. That's likely quite conservative, given the construction. 1.8L of naturally aspirated fury can only do so much, however, so output is a modest 130HP/115TQ. But what it does make is over a broad curve, thanks to a solenoid-enabled multi-chamber intake, similar to BMW's differentiated intake system (DISA valve, anyone?). This was trick stuff for '92, as BMW didn't offer theirs until '95. Since all this came at a cost (my sticker says 17k out the door, and the base 1.6l I4 started at 11k), very few V6 models were sold, and the engine disappeared in 1994. It lived on in many other Mazdas and Fords, however, as the 2.5 liter KL. There's even a KL-swapped 944 running around, seen here on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQF8nHjGdFU

The Wee-6:

The first order of duty was to evict any squatters... Sorry, horses only!

When I checked out the car, I'd noticed the plug boots were wet. Valve cover gaskets were the likely culprit, and made sense in light of the misfire. So I ordered up new valve cover, intake manifold, and throttle body gaskets, plugs, wires, dizzy cap, PCV valve, an assortment of filters and hoses, and went about getting my hands dirty.

Anything that came off the car was abraded with a brass brush, and a healthy dose of elbow grease. Plastic and rubber parts were cleaned and reconditioned. Where appropriate, I painted and refurbished bits, bolts, and brackets.

I'm waiting for this foul weather to subside before putting it all back together... but I can't wait to hear it scream. Should be a fun little runaround, and I'll hopefully find a new home for her soon.
2005 BMW 330xi
2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Old 10-31-2020, 07:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #88 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Back to the Porsche, right? My sincerest apologies to anyone offended. I do realize that this isn't a Mazda forum, but I also love oddball cars, and it's my thread, so I can't help but to digress. Maybe it gets me off the hook for the lack of substantive progress this month???

So I've taken my time/dragged my feet on the dash project, but not without incremental improvements. I've re-wrapped wires, cleaned connectors, and installed new bulbs. I sourced nicer gauges, switches, and plastic bits to replace worn pieces. Everything is still out of the car, however, since I can never leave well enough alone. When I pulled the Blaupunkt (not an OEM unit but a ~2010 model), I found that the car had been wired for an amp at some point, but with junk wire. Rather than pulling it out and calling it a day, I seized the opportunity to meddle, and ordered up a new 4 gauge kit. This will run power to a small JL amp, which I'd planned to use in the Volvo. I haven't decided whether to power the front stage, or go with a small 8" sub, but either way, wiring it in now is the right move. A new Pioneer BT head-unit and fresh rear speakers are also going in, so we may as well put some power to the system!

This is what's staring me down when I open the door:

Hopefully I'll have more interior/dash/stereo updates in the next couple of weeks, as parts arrive. In the meantime, the rear valance is also waiting patiently for its turn to go on. But, problematically, Portia's OE muffler looks all of its 36 years, and would have been an eyesore once tucked into the newly-painted aerodynamics. I debated having a new tip welded on, or just replacing the axle-back with that Bosal I came across, but a low-mile exhaust off an early '85 came up for sale, so I jumped on it.

Wire brush, hi-temp rattle can, et voila:

The original muffler may have looked tired, but it put up quite a fight. I had to get creative in elevating the car, since my jack couldn't manage enough lift to get the sawz-all under the car at the right angle. Not the brightest idea I've ever had, but it worked to get the car higher, despite much puckering. Gotta love these 6-ton stands, though, as they had stability and height to spare.

New hardware all around (M8x40mm bolts). Now the junction, middle, and rear mounts are 13mm all the way back, rather than 3 different sizes.

All tidy, and ready for the valance.

2005 BMW 330xi
2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Old 10-31-2020, 08:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #89 (permalink)
Patrick

Garage
Great work on both cars! I didn't know that there was an 1.8L 6cyl...
Old 10-31-2020, 10:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #90 (permalink)
Kessel run in 12 parsecs!

Garage
Not to shabby! Love those Rims!
Old 11-01-2020, 02:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #91 (permalink)
Have 944, will restore

I haven't seen an MX-3 on the road in years!!! That one is a great find!!! All original and not modified! The perfect candidate for a restoration. I suspect the value is in the originality. That will be a fun car to own and enjoy! Nice job on picking it up!

Also wanted to follow up and ask if you saved the bag that contains the part number for the sticker you got that shows the plug wire arrangement. I would love to buy a few and keep them for my current and future restorations but I have been unsuccessful in finding the part number.

The fresh paint on the muffler looks great! It really cleaned up nicely!
Old 11-01-2020, 04:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #92 (permalink)
Registered

Nice work...on both cars!

Question: What did you use for wire wrap?
Old 11-01-2020, 05:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #93 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Very, very cool.

Mazda has always been an interesting and independently-minded company.

John
82 911SC coupe, 3 seasons near-daily use; 87 924S, project ... see my thread http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-924-944-968-technical-forum/1046846-johnjs-87-924s-rehabilitation.html Past: 6x Alfas; 01 V70 2.4T; 95 Accord CD555; 89 944S2; 89 FJ62 Landcruiser; 82 Celica; 77 CJ5; 74 Beetle; 67 TR4A; 62 Midget; ?Year Lambretta Li 150 (my brother's actually); 76 Fiat 126 (Mum's); ?Year Isetta 300 (Dad's)
Old 11-01-2020, 07:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #94 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfarah View Post
Great work on both cars! I didn't know that there was an 1.8L 6cyl...
Thank you. One step at a time, right?

The six in this thing really is a one-off. Automotive tax externalities usually bring down the industry, from a hobby standpoint, but maybe not this time. Have a listen to the sounds it makes... something like half of a Ferrari V12??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9EMK1O-Wa0

Okay, maybe I'm getting ahead of myself. But it does sound pretty good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Freddy 944 View Post
Not to shabby! Love those Rims!
Thank you, Freddy! The wheels are my favorite part of the car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazdaverx7 View Post
I haven't seen an MX-3 on the road in years!!! That one is a great find!!! All original and not modified! The perfect candidate for a restoration. I suspect the value is in the originality. That will be a fun car to own and enjoy! Nice job on picking it up!

Also wanted to follow up and ask if you saved the bag that contains the part number for the sticker you got that shows the plug wire arrangement. I would love to buy a few and keep them for my current and future restorations but I have been unsuccessful in finding the part number.

The fresh paint on the muffler looks great! It really cleaned up nicely!
You're telling me. The last one I saw was probably five years ago. And it was probably this one! It's proof that there are survivors out there. The previous owners loved the car, and had good memories associated with it, so it stuck around. I just got lucky, and came across it at the right time.

The sticker is an accurate reproduction from pfarah's collection. Shoot him a PM and maybe he can tell you where he got them, as I know there were a few different ones available. He might be able to help you out! This reminds me, I have to get a color sticker for behind the driver's strut housing...

And re: the muffler, thank you! The old rattle can goes a long way. They were black from the factory, so I'm all for it. The muffler was a local score, and was very clean to start with, so I didn't have to do much aside from a quick brush-down. I have yet to see if it's functional, however!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OK-944 View Post
Nice work...on both cars!

Question: What did you use for wire wrap?
Thanks man! A labor of love!

Electrical tape and/or cloth loom wire wrap, and zip ties. 50/50 rubbing alcohol/water to wipe stuff down. Anything that looked suspect, or tired, was re-insulated.

Quote:
Very, very cool.

Mazda has always been an interesting and independently-minded company.

John
Mazda was doing some seriously cool stuff back then. In the early 90's they had quite the engine lineup. You could get a sequentially twin-turbocharged (or NA) rotary, a Miller-cycle V6, the tiny K8 V6, or, if you were feeling bland, a 1.6 liter inline four. Among others, they had the Miata, RX-7, Millenia, and this little MX-3 to market, aside from their main offerings, the 3 and 6. So it's no wonder, as a small company, that they weren't able to get the word out enough to compete with the big boys. They were sure great cars, though.
2005 BMW 330xi
2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Old 11-02-2020, 09:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #95 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Amati!
Old 11-02-2020, 11:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #96 (permalink)
Registered

I just read this whole thread. Great work. Your 944 looks amazing and great find on the Mazda.
Current lineup: 1990 944 S2 Cabriolet - Long term project | 1971 914 - Long term project #2 | 1971 914 - Driver
Old 11-02-2020, 12:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #97 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Amati!
Totally! They had so much going on until things went bust in Japan. The flagship Amati sported a V12 made from mating two K sixes together. I think their mid-range car ran the Miller-cycle motor, but it may have been supercharged as well. Funky engineering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azbanks View Post
I just read this whole thread. Great work. Your 944 looks amazing and great find on the Mazda.
Thank you for spending the time. It's been a fun journey for me thus far; not only the build thread, but also the Pelican community interaction. I've learned a ton pouring over other's threads, and have had the good fortune of meeting great people in the hunt for parts!

The weather ought to warm up this week, so I'm hoping that the little Mazda will be up and running again soon. We'll see what else it needs.
2005 BMW 330xi
2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Old 11-02-2020, 03:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #98 (permalink)

Have 944, will restore

I wanted to ask if you installed a new stone guard set on your car before painting it. It doesn't appear that you did but I know they offer a clear set so it might be hard to see. I'm still blown away by the paint job! What you're doing inspires me to continue restoring my 944 so thank you!
Old 11-09-2020, 02:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #99 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Thank you for the good vibes! We all inspire each other

The stone guards went on over the paint about six weeks ago. I wanted to give the paint at least a month. Still haven't put the PORSCHE sticker on, however...

I put the guards down dry, with no soapy water, just a clean surface and steady hand. Starting with the front, I had to pull them up a couple of times to adjust, but by the rear I had it down.

Hard to see, but they're there.

2005 BMW 330xi
2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Old 11-09-2020, 04:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #100 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: