Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
Made some progress on the wiring, and associated prep so that I can finally put this dash back together. I won't make a habit of self-quoting, but a before and after may help here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverLined View Post
This is what's staring me down when I open the door:

Here it is now:

While all the wiring and connections were in decent shape, everything was sticky to the touch. Both factory cloth wrap, and the electrical tape from a ~Y2k aftermarket stereo install were sweating glue. This was compounded by dust, and decomposing foam surrounding the center vents. Sticky, dirty stuff. Everything I could reach, within reason, was re-wrapped. Not fun, but better than leaving it!

The amp wiring install was also pretty straightforward. I'm not planning to shake the hatch glass off the frame, just add a little depth via an enclosed 8" subwoofer @ 150w RMS. I wanted to over-wire, allowing room for power to the front or rear speakers in the future.

Routing is as follows: 4ga runs from the battery, through the hole in the firewall to the dash, behind and over the steering column, around the clutch, and down into the foot-well. From there it runs along the kick seam, and then under the carpet, up to where the upper rear seat meets the rear hatch floor. The RCA and signal wires are routed the same way along the passenger side. I'll have a wide but shallow enclosure attached to the rear seat upper back, which will house the sub and amp.

The final steps for the stereo will be to ditch old the wire-tap installation, solder up new connections, and put in the new H/U, once dash is together. I'll also have to dynamat/enclose the rear speaker areas, and rig up some mounting bracket or frame for a pair of 5.25" coaxial speakers.

Quite the mess they left

No matter, carrying on!

2005 BMW 330xi
2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Old 11-09-2020, 10:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #101 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
The Speaker Holes:
- The Sins of Our Forebears, or at least Previous Owners.
- Hey, I've done some mechanical/electrical mischief in my time, too.

The Harness Re-Wrapping:
- Great work, shows you're a man of integrity!

The Tool Question:
- How are the Bauer tools from HF?
- Do you think they were looking for butch-sounding names and someone thought of Kiefer Sutherland?

The While You're In There:
- The heater core ... "Are you feeling lucky, Ed?"
- It's only $20

Keep it coming, all good. And, BTW, I can't get that 1.8 V6 Mazda jewel out of my head. Just nuts that they built/gave us that. I saw a Millennia the other day, it look 100% contemporary; what a handsome car.

John
82 911SC coupe, 3 seasons near-daily use; 87 924S, project ... see my thread http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-924-944-968-technical-forum/1046846-johnjs-87-924s-rehabilitation.html Past: 6x Alfas; 01 V70 2.4T; 95 Accord CD555; 89 944S2; 89 FJ62 Landcruiser; 82 Celica; 77 CJ5; 74 Beetle; 67 TR4A; 62 Midget; ?Year Lambretta Li 150 (my brother's actually); 76 Fiat 126 (Mum's); ?Year Isetta 300 (Dad's)
Old 11-09-2020, 11:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #102 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Yes, those speaker holes, they are what they are

I do have the aftermarket grilles that originally went over the holes, which I'll likely re-install. They're not bad once covered.

Overall, it's not so bad; many an interior has been hacked up far worse for a stereo install - if I'm honest, by me, in my teenage years. Guilty, here, too! Since there's already been some meddling, I don't feel so bad about putting decent aftermarket stuff in there now, utilizing the "added room"... and I'm glad I went through the process, as it's more organized and easier to work in there.

The Bauer stuff (gotta sound German, right?!) is pretty good for the money. So far, at least. I have half a dozen of their tools, with interchangeable batteries. I think Bauer represents HF's "better" brand, with one line above and one below. My 1/4" impact driver, along with the work light shown, are most frequently in employ. I mistakenly left the light on over the weekend, and it was just as bright on Sunday as it was Friday night

I did think about the heater core. I also gathered that the OE failure rate is pretty low, and there is also a failure rate for new aftermarket stuff... so I'm not sure it's worth it. If it ain't broke, right? Did you do yours?

And on the Mazda, you and me both! I'll post up some progress this week, if possible.
2005 BMW 330xi
2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Old 11-09-2020, 12:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #103 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
My whole cooling system was nasty due to what must have been a dramatic heat-related engine failure, as in, head-gasket, seized cam, bent valves. That's why I was so psyched to buy HondaDustR's used motor. Fairly soon we'll see if it's any good!

John
82 911SC coupe, 3 seasons near-daily use; 87 924S, project ... see my thread http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-924-944-968-technical-forum/1046846-johnjs-87-924s-rehabilitation.html Past: 6x Alfas; 01 V70 2.4T; 95 Accord CD555; 89 944S2; 89 FJ62 Landcruiser; 82 Celica; 77 CJ5; 74 Beetle; 67 TR4A; 62 Midget; ?Year Lambretta Li 150 (my brother's actually); 76 Fiat 126 (Mum's); ?Year Isetta 300 (Dad's)
Old 11-09-2020, 01:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #104 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Dash Update

Things have been moving along on the interior front, and this guy (points thumbs) got it together in time for the Quabbin Reservoir meet last Saturday (many thanks to pfarrah for orchestrating!).

Portia drove flawlessly over the nearly 250 mile trip, a slight power steering return hose leak notwithstanding. I'd been hustling to get the stereo functional for the trip, and though it's not fully installed - the rears are rigged up for testing but not mounted - I'm happy with the acoustics, and greatly increased functionality. BT hands-free is key.

First order of business was learning how to solder, thanks be to YouTube. Makeshift soldering shop set up in the driver's footwell, I tried out a test wire...

Hey, this is fun! After shaking off fantasies of future-me laying a stack of titanium dimes on a full race exhaust, I got to work with my pathetic little lead-melter.

Wiring connections had previously been T-taps, which are lazy garbage, if you ask me. New connections were cable-twisted, soldered, e-taped, and then shrink-wrapped. Good to go, and much easier to install! Maybe a little overkill, but better to err on that side rather than the other.

Here's the stereo harness all finished up:

And the whole stack, including the mic:

Figured I might as well put the center speaker cavity to use... the "mount" is pool-toy foam wrapped in cloth tape, with a snug-fitting hole for the mic.

And here it is all back together:

Glad I did the bulbs, as they made a noticeable improvement:

Granted, this replacement dash is not perfect. There are a handful of small cracks around the vents, and a couple of blemishes here and there. But it's so much better than before. If you'd forgotten, this is where we started.

Swapping out a 3/10 dash for a 7/10 might not seem worth the effort, but with what I found behind the original, I'm glad I went in and cleaned things up. The new-to-me dash is much more livable, and less crumbly. Gonna call it a win.

I'm keeping the original dash and may re-finish it this winter, but at least I know what's involved, and can get the R&R done in a few hours versus a few weeks of chipping away.

2005 BMW 330xi
2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Old 11-23-2020, 02:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #105 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Silver, I totally spaced that your car had had the dash out ... I was too busy being frankly amazed by the paint job. Great work. I still need to put my center console back in. Yours and the work beneath it looks superb. And IIRC, that's the official Bell Telephone-approved wire connecting/solder method ... not kidding. Very tidy and safe.

John
Old 11-23-2020, 03:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #106 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeffries View Post
Silver, I totally spaced that your car had had the dash out ... I was too busy being frankly amazed by the paint job. Great work. I still need to put my center console back in. Yours and the work beneath it looks superb. And IIRC, that's the official Bell Telephone-approved wire connecting/solder method ... not kidding. Very tidy and safe.

John
Was great to meet you, John! I'm sorry I didn't get more time to check out your SC, aside from a quick walk-around. What a car

You were busy saving the day with that field repair! And thanks for the nod on the wiring. I try to do my due diligence, especially when it comes to a new skill. Do it once, do it right.

There's a little more to today's update, stand by...
2005 BMW 330xi
2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Old 11-23-2020, 03:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #107 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
More Interior

The seat covers have finally arrived

These are from Lseat.com. I've read mixed reviews, but have also seen a few really nice installs with these covers. From what I can tell, the leather, stitching, and foam backing look great. But maybe this install is over my head... There's a six week wait for services, but I think it's worth the time to have a pro tackle these. I've never done upholstery work, and am not keen to learn on a pair of Recaros

Also, there were a few dash details I wanted to include in the previous post, but couldn't. Too many pics, pal.

So, the antenna setup. Since we'd shaved the original location, and removed a godawful, PO replacement antenna in the process (which also had broken, long ago), there was no good solution available that didn't require drilling or wiring. Instead, I found a Y adapter, and hooked it up to the head unit. From the Y, single-wire antennas run behind the dash and up the a-pillar trim, around the sunroof drain tubes. The reception isn't awful; it'll do fine for the amount that I listen to AM/FM.

Here's the passenger side:

And on the driver's side, the factory had left me a rotten, 37 year old Easter egg:

I had to look twice because, admittedly, I hadn't noticed it when I first took off the trim piece. Truly well-flattened! There's no sign of water damage in the car, but I can't imagine that it ever functioned properly as a drain tube.

My solution was to cannibalize a length of tubing from a fluid transfer pump I had kicking around. I think it'll do the trick.

Okay, that's all I've got for now. More coming soon as I wrap up the stereo, and hopefully get some outdoor working time for that little neglected Mazda.

Here's wishing everyone a safe and Happy Thanksgiving!!
2005 BMW 330xi
2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Old 11-23-2020, 03:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #108 (permalink)
Patrick

Garage
Looks awesome!!
Old 11-23-2020, 04:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #109 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Thank you Patrick. You've really helped to get me pointed in the right direction, my friend. Your old sport seats are currently at the upholsterer, who said the foam sections looked great. Thanks again for these bad boys, can't wait to see what they become!!

So today's post has been a while coming, considering I said I'd do this months ago. But as promised, here's what I've put together in terms of history & service records...

Maintenance History:

Shop: European Motorsport, Boston MA
Date: 6/03/20
Mileage: 14,458
Service: R&R radiator, upper & lower radiator hoses, cooling hoses, expansion tank, cap & hose, thermostat w/2 seals, circlip, shim & gasket, auxiliary fan switch & seal, new hose clamps
Parts: $1,587.89
Labor: $772.80
Total w/tax & fees: $2,481.95

Date: 05/31/19
Service: R&R clutch master & slave cylinders, clutch hose, drive belts
Parts: $659.17
Labor: $585.60
Total w/tax & fees: $1,302.66

Date: 05/09/19 -
Service: R&R fuel pump, fuel pump relay, crank position sensors, P/S reservoir, P/S reservoir line hose, P/S hose fitting, auxiliary fan assemblies, auxiliary fan switch & seal, speed & reference sensors, brackets & bolts, lower steering shaft, alignment
Parts: $2,591.35
Labor: $1,891.20
Total w/tax & fees: $4,680.51

The above three services were completed by the previous owner, Colin. OEM parts used throughout, and top dollar paid for labor (rent ain't cheep in Boston!). I spoke with the shop owner about the car, and he confirmed what had been done. Seemed like a knowledgeable guy, enough so to chuckle a little when I called it an "honest" car. Maybe I'll drop by one day, and let them know their efforts did not go un-appreciated. One would expect that they appreciated the $8,500 (cringe).

The next piece of service history I have is from the gentleman from whom Colin bought the car, Andy (there were title changes in family, here). This takes us from Boston out to the Cape, where the car spent most of the 2010's.

Shop: Wentworth Motorsports, Brewster, MA
Date: 08/14/2017
Mileage: "0", assuming this means broken
Service: R&R front and rear discs, pads, shims, sensors, brake fluid reservoir cap, alternator, drive belts, tires (Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 Plus), mount and balance. Removed and sent out fuel injectors for refurbishment, oil & filter change
Parts: $1,551.33
Labor: $665.00
Total w/tax & fees: $2,382.30

Shop: Sears Auto Center, Hyannis, MA
Date: 04/28/2011
Mileage: 111,123
Service: Alignment, oil & filter change
Parts: $7.21
Labor: $101.49
Total w/tax & fees: $109.15

Inspection & Registration:

01/09/2008 Title issued or updated, Marion, OH
Mileage: 19,600
02/20/2008 Dealer took title of this vehicle while it was in inventory
EXCEEDS MECHANICAL LIMITS TITLE ISSUED
Mileage: 4,597
Note: From what I can tell, the car was traded in in Ohio in January, with a broken odometer at 19,600 miles. It would figure that the car had rolled over by then, but how long it had been broken is unknown since we don't have history before 2008. The dealer replaced the odometer with a working one (with ~4k on the clock), since mileage goes up incrementally from this point. When the dealer took ownership of the car, the "exceeds mechanical limits" title was issued.
03/24/2008 Title issued or updated, Stow, OH
Mileage: 4,601
03/27/2009 Vehicle purchase reported, MA MVD
Mileage: 106,680
Note: Looks like the car was driven 2k miles that year, then the new owner assumed one rollover when reporting the miles. At this point, mileage is at least 121,683... 119,600 + (6,680 - 4,597). Ballpark conservative guess, 125k. But who really knows?
04/17/2009 Title issued or updated, Belchertown, MA
New owner reported
04/28/2009 Passed safety inspection, Ware, MA
Mileage: 106,934
05/18/2009 Vehicle purchase reported, MA MVD
Mileage: 108,348
06/05/2009 Title issued or updated, Belchertown, MA
05/14/2010 Vehicle offered for sale, Auto Auction
Mileage: 10,816
TMU, Exceeds mechanical limits
05/17/2010 Vehicle sold, Auto Auction
Mileage: 10,816
TMU, Exceeds mechanical limits
06/04/2010 Vehicle purchase reported, MA MVD
Mileage: 110,816
06/08/2010 Passed safety inspection, Chatham, MA
Mileage: 110,975
06/25/2010 Title issued or updated, Chatham, MA
New owner reported
Note: PO Jay paid the 2011 alignment bill, so I'm assuming he owned the car from 2010 to ~2017.
02/20/2012 Passed safety inspection, Orleans, MA
02/21/2012 Title issued or updated, Chatham, MA
12/18/2013 Title issued or updated, Chatham, MA
04/10/2018 Vehicle purchase reported
Registration issued or renewed
Mileage: 114,000
Note: This is where we pick up with PO Andy, who footed the 2017 service bill, and supposedly did a timing belt service that winter to get it back on the road and registered by the spring of 2018. This is according to PO Colin, who said that Jay's neighbor, Andy, had tried for years to buy the dormant 944 in his garage. He promised to get her back on the road, and purchased the car from him in the summer of 2017.
04/11/2018 Passed safety inspection, Chatham, MA
04/27/2018 Title issued or updated, Chatham, MA
New owner reported
02/04/2019 Vehicle purchase reported, MA MVD
Mileage: 114,458
Note: PO Colin purchased the car here, with a broken odometer.
02/20/2019 Registration issued or renewed, Dorcester, MA MVD
03/08/2019 Title issued or updated, Chatham, MA
New owner reported
05/09/2019 Vehicle serviced, European Motorsport, Boston, MA
05/16/2019 Passed safety inspection, Dorchester, MA
Mileage inconsistency
05/31/2019 Vehicle serviced, European Motorsport, Boston, MA

Now, the currently-installed odometer is working, however, it's also a replacement (installed showing 00651). In the last odometer (that was stuck on 14,458), I've installed a new speedo gear with success, and am waiting on a replacement lens for that gauge.

Thanks to an enthusiast-friendly shop, I was able to have them add the miles on the original gauge to the current progress from 651, which yielded 15,512 at the time of inspection. So miles will show concurrent, and I'll install my fixed gauge at 15,512 + whatever miles go on between now and then (likely few). Zipping an odometer up from 14,458 to ~16k will take a while, but is do-able. Going from 1k to 16k would likely break my drill

I know this seems like great lengths for mileage consistency on an otherwise spotty record, but the mileage jumping around bugs me. My best guess is that the reality is somewhere north of 130k but south of 150k. The world will never know...

What I do know is that I am never, under any circumstances, going to touch that trip-reset button! Portia is also due for belts, rollers, and a fresh water pump this winter. If the drivetrain continues to hold together, she ought to be pretty stout at that point. The project always continues...
2005 BMW 330xi
2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Old 11-25-2020, 08:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #110 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
You bought the right 944 and it found the right steward.

Them’s some big bills the P.O. paid for.

John
Old 11-25-2020, 11:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #111 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Any idea if the clutch was ever changed? My center disk broke over the summer after 36 years and about 120K miles.

I wish the PO had done that for me, but at least I know it was done.

Last edited by TheSecondChris; 11-25-2020 at 12:53 PM..
Old 11-25-2020, 12:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #112 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
You bought the right 944 and it found the right steward.

Them’s some big bills the P.O. paid for.

John
You're not kidding. And all that was without TB/BB/WP, clutch, head gaskets, etc. With values still below $20k for a well-sorted car, it's just bad math. Must've been love, if short lived. Glad I found her, and she me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSecondChris View Post
Any idea if the clutch was ever changed? My center disk broke over the summer after 36 years and about 120K miles.

I wish the PO had done that for me, but at least I know it was done.
Chris, I've yet to check the clutch. I believe you can measure the remaining material, but that likely wouldn't show me much more than that. If it's going to turn to fuzz and crap out on me, so be it. From what I can tell with my left foot, there's decent life left.

Did you stick with the rubber-centered clutch when you replaced?
2005 BMW 330xi
2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Old 11-25-2020, 06:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #113 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I don't think the rubber centered version of the clutch disk exists anymore, unless you find one that had survived decades in a box somewhere.
Old 11-27-2020, 02:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #114 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
I don't think the rubber centered version of the clutch disk exists anymore, unless you find one that had survived decades in a box somewhere.
Six months ago I had no idea they were even a thing. Porsche couldn't come up with a better spot to pull some NVH?

I think I saw a NOS rubber-centered clutch for sale, but wouldn't trust any rubber as old as I am
2005 BMW 330xi
2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Old 11-27-2020, 06:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #115 (permalink)
Have 944, will restore

The new dash looks incredible!! Very nice job on the install! Did you upgrade the cluster pod bulbs to led or just replace the bulbs with new same wattage bulbs?
04 RX-8 Brilliant Black 6spd/ 04 RX-8 Nordic Green 6spd
84 Corvette 4+3/ 18 Camry SE
Old 11-28-2020, 03:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #116 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
A previous owner 'upgraded' my gauge bulbs to LED and I'll be upgrading them back to original incandescent eventually. I like LEDs but only when they look right, and usually they don't look right in classic cars.

I'm really picky about brightness and color temperature when buying LED bulbs for home usage and I appreciate the range of options available so I can achieve a soft warm light. I like the idea of reduced current draw and longevity, but not at the expense of aesthetics and originality.

I guess I'd be happy with instrument gauge LEDs if they looked exactly like incandescent equivalent, but not sure if these exist.

I agree that your lighting looks great; if those are LED then I'm a convert.
Old 11-28-2020, 05:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #117 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazdaverx7 View Post
The new dash looks incredible!! Very nice job on the install! Did you upgrade the cluster pod bulbs to led or just replace the bulbs with new same wattage bulbs?
Thanks man! I replaced them with the same wattage incandescent bulbs. NAPA long life, BP17037-LL, .1 amp (1.2 watts). They're much brighter than the old ones.

Quote:
A previous owner 'upgraded' my gauge bulbs to LED and I'll be upgrading them back to original incandescent eventually. I like LEDs but only when they look right, and usually they don't look right in classic cars.

I'm really picky about brightness and color temperature when buying LED bulbs for home usage and I appreciate the range of options available so I can achieve a soft warm light. I like the idea of reduced current draw and longevity, but not at the expense of aesthetics and originality.

I guess I'd be happy with instrument gauge LEDs if they looked exactly like incandescent equivalent, but not sure if these exist.

I agree that your lighting looks great; if those are LED then I'm a convert.
Getting the color temp right with LED is a big factor, but they do offer a lot of flexibility. I've found that the incandescent bulbs tend to throw soft light farther than the LED's, which can look spotty.

Staying old school for interior lighting. That LED headlight kit does look pretty sweet, however, and much more functional than the old tech.
2005 BMW 330xi
2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Old 11-28-2020, 06:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #118 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
My SC instrument lights were awful ... known characteristic. I replaced them with a kit of bulbs from Norbert aka CarMagic, went with “Vintage White” , pleasantly yellow-ish. Result was excellent. But using an LED for the Brights/High-Beams blue indicator position was a mistake ... i can’t drive with it on ... torturous! I have no idea if Norbert’s pricing is any good ($55 IIRC) but was happy to pay for his thinking and procurement. He’s built a couple of exquisite 911’s, BTW.

John
Old 11-28-2020, 01:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #119 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
My SC instrument lights were awful ... known characteristic. I replaced them with a kit of bulbs from Norbert aka CarMagic, went with “Vintage White” , pleasantly yellow-ish. Result was excellent. But using an LED for the Brights/High-Beams blue indicator position was a mistake ... i can’t drive with it on ... torturous! I have no idea if Norbert’s pricing is any good ($55 IIRC) but was happy to pay for his thinking and procurement. He’s built a couple of exquisite 911’s, BTW.

John
I think there were nine or ten bulbs to replace, and I paid $30 for a dozen at NAPA. $55 sounds about right. And you're not kidding; nice builds!!

The little MX-3 got some long-overdue attention today, and is nearly up and running (I hope). Things went together well, with just a few small things left to button up. My eBay-acquired factory manual has come in handy, big time.

And in that annoying YT voice, we go from this:

To this:

2005 BMW 330xi
2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Old 11-29-2020, 07:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #120 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: