Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Have 944, will restore

The MX-3 looks great! How has it been running and driving?

04 RX-8 Brilliant Black 6spd/ 04 RX-8 Nordic Green 6spd
84 Corvette 4+3/ 18 Camry SE
Old 11-30-2020, 03:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #121 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
If you were closer and we weren't all locked at home, I'd be down there with my (reserved for automotive use) toothbrush, sotf cloths, Simple Green and various potions, helping you further clean that engine bay. My favorite kind of mindless work.

John
82 911SC coupe, 3 seasons near-daily use; 87 924S, project ... see my thread http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-924-944-968-technical-forum/1046846-johnjs-87-924s-rehabilitation.html Past: 6x Alfas; 01 V70 2.4T; 95 Accord CD555; 89 944S2; 89 FJ62 Landcruiser; 82 Celica; 77 CJ5; 74 Beetle; 67 TR4A; 62 Midget; ?Year Lambretta Li 150 (my brother's actually); 76 Fiat 126 (Mum's); ?Year Isetta 300 (Dad's)
Old 11-30-2020, 07:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #122 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazdaverx7 View Post
The MX-3 looks great! How has it been running and driving?
Thank you! It looks better than it drives, right now. I put in the intake snorkel and battery this morning, did a quick bolt check, started it up (after about 30 seconds of cranking to get enough fuel pressure), and moved it into the driveway. Still missing, unfortunately.

After letting it idle for a few, it appears that the newly-installed VC/IM/TB gaskets are doing their job. I also did the plugs, wires, distributor cap, along with PCV valve and a bunch of new vacuum hoses. It appeared to be solid, and vac-leak-free, but I didn't have much time to poke around before the rain started coming down, and Mona (the MX-3 deserves a name at this point, no?) won't be taking Portia's spot in the garage any time soon. Going to start at the distributor, then fuel system, when weather allows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeffries View Post
If you were closer and we weren't all locked at home, I'd be down there with my (reserved for automotive use) toothbrush, sotf cloths, Simple Green and various potions, helping you further clean that engine bay. My favorite kind of mindless work.

John
You'd probably empathize with my slightly-OCD microfiber routine, John. I like the Kirkland brand yellows, plush but sturdy, and they come in 30-packs. There are four different piles: new for paint, detailing, and finishing. Soft-used for glass & interior. Dirty for jambs and low interior. Gross for wheels, engine bay, and everything else.

Only wash one group at a time, but don't bother once they've been fully grossed. Toss and move on. After doing a wash, I'd recommend a quick wipe-down of the washing machine, if you're using your household washer (I am). Gently dry, on the lowest heat possible, separate groups again. Drying 30 micros at a time takes about 10 minutes for my machine on low, so it's not bad. High heat, or drying along with cotton will degrade the poly, and it'll be rough rather than soft before long.

Also a big toothbrush user, at least twice a day

The bath-section bristly scrubbers are good, too, or even a cut-down paintbrush for similar duties. Harbor freight also has great (read: cheap) auto-scrubbers.
2005 BMW 330xi
2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Old 11-30-2020, 09:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #123 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Before microfiber was invented, back when I was but a mere slip of a lad, detailing cars (earned more than saying “cleaning”), I found the most perfect cloth for final buffing was (is) the worn night frocks of the rich or at least, preppy girls .... or ladies ... bigger babes = more square feet of the finest-cotton fabric to tear into towels. Lanz of Salzburg was the ultimate. Thus, after a few hours of expert frolicking, it would be “my lass, your nightie, please ... I have a Silver Shadow to polish!”, out through the window and away from the exclusive neighborhood on my Lambretta, more adventures ahead of me...
Old 11-30-2020, 11:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #124 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I keep a few of those around for polishing exhaust tips; they're few and far between, however.

Sounds like you had a pretty good supply-chain going
2005 BMW 330xi
2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Old 11-30-2020, 12:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #125 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
as the T-shirt says, The Older I get, the Better I was.
82 911SC coupe, 3 seasons near-daily use; 87 924S, project ... see my thread http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-924-944-968-technical-forum/1046846-johnjs-87-924s-rehabilitation.html Past: 6x Alfas; 01 V70 2.4T; 95 Accord CD555; 89 944S2; 89 FJ62 Landcruiser; 82 Celica; 77 CJ5; 74 Beetle; 67 TR4A; 62 Midget; ?Year Lambretta Li 150 (my brother's actually); 76 Fiat 126 (Mum's); ?Year Isetta 300 (Dad's)
Old 11-30-2020, 02:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #126 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
Better to remember it that way, John

Due for an update, over here. Aside from the fact that this foul weather would preclude me from driving Portia, I couldn't if I wanted to... seats are out, but in seriously good company at the upholsterer:

But then there's another, more troubling reason for the downtime:

The last time I was on the road, I swore I felt that much-described balance shaft vibration in the 3krpm range. But, it came out of nowhere... that shouldn't be. I took off the timing cover to find fine rubber dust covering everything.

The culprit:

Looks like one of my rollers is seized, and I caught things just in time/dodged a serious bullet. Not much longer and that BS belt would've broken. Phew!

Of course, this is why you do should do belts and rollers immediately upon purchase, if there is any question as to the age/condition of timing components. When I first looked over the car, the belts looked good and were in time, so I figured I'd wait

Along with belts and idlers, I'll go ahead and do the front seals, thermostat, water pump, etc. Time for oil cooler seals, too?
2005 BMW 330xi
2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Old 12-12-2020, 03:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #127 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Wow.

John
Old 12-12-2020, 07:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #128 (permalink)
Patrick

Garage
Good catch!
BTW: I've got all the specialized tools (sprocket wrench, flywheel lock, tensioner tool, etc.) if you want to borrow them.

Patrick
Old 12-13-2020, 07:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #129 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Will definitely be in touch on that, Patrick. Thank you!

Quote:
Wow.

John
Yeah. Could've been bad...
2005 BMW 330xi
2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Old 12-13-2020, 12:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #130 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Some Grade-A iron (and aluminum) at the upholstery shop.
Old 12-13-2020, 01:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #131 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
What's going on with your belt? Although, I guess you're planning to do both belts and rollers and pump and seals too, right? It looks like you have a nice garage workshop, but is it heated?
Old 12-20-2020, 10:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #132 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSecondChris View Post
What's going on with your belt? Although, I guess you're planning to do both belts and rollers and pump and seals too, right? It looks like you have a nice garage workshop, but is it heated?
Nothing, yet

I've got my eye on the stage 2 kit from 944online, but it will have to wait until after the holidays. Geba is the way to go versus the Laso stuff? I've definitely got a little research to do in these next couple of weeks.

It's not heated in my garage, but a space heater makes it tolerable for necessary wrenching. Not ideal for recreational, however; I'd love a little propane setup. But the space has come a long way in 2020, so I can't complain. It doesn't stop me wanting a lift, big compressor, air tools, welder, et cetera, et cetera...
2005 BMW 330xi
2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Old 12-20-2020, 06:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #133 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
You (and me, too) want a heater where the heat and exhaust aren’t commingled. I have a propane construction/outdoor heater and the fumes, while not as bad as a kerosene heater, are not to be trifled with. As you note, I use it in short blasts, door and a window cracked, then shut it off and close windows. If you have 220V in/near your garage and aren’t too bashful about the electric bill, that would be an option. If you’re going to be in the house a long time, then a proper ducted /heat exchanger running off street gas off a residential propane tank would be the dog’s balls. A neighbor has that and it’s just the ticket. Those units come up on CL sometimes and are likely available used from HVAC guys. If I get to build a garage before I’m too old to enjoy it, I sure hope I can add heat AND A/C.

John
Old 12-20-2020, 06:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #134 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Happy New Year to everyone!

After a nice break over the holidays, I was back to working on Portia today. First step, free a path to the belts... The airbox came out, and while I was removing J-boot appendages, one hose seemed a little too wobbly after disconnecting:

The breather hose that runs under the intake manifold split almost completely around at the 90 fitting. OK, that one was definitely original. What else is ancient under here?

Yup, this too. Literally crumbled in my hands with a little twist. I've added intake manifold gaskets, assorted vac hoses, and a few other related odds and ends to the list.

Current state of affairs:

But I'm burying the lead. My tinkering was interrupted by a call from by Phil, at Vantage Upholstery. "The seats are ready!" I think my 10mm wrench was floating in the air for a second, Wile E. Coyote style, while I bolted out the door.

Phil did a great job with them, I have to say:

These aren't the best pics, but they'll have to do for now. When the car moves under its own power again, I'll get some shots in proper sunlight
2005 BMW 330xi
2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Old 01-04-2021, 07:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #135 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
My suggestion: Pull the intake manifold and and replace all those vent hoses, to/from the idle control valve, etc. All of them were on my car were crumbling, and/or had already be repaired with gaffer tape. Good time to do your fuel pipes too!
“Happy to spend your time and money”,
John
Old 01-05-2021, 10:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #136 (permalink)
Registered

Nice Seats! I'm currently waiting on a set of vinyl covers from only944...and plan to DIY this - so wish me luck!

As for Geba vs Laso - I went with the Geba kit from 944online...and while the Geba quality is very good, with a metal impeller and very smooth/solid feeling, well-centered bearing, I did need to wield my dremel to smooth out a bit of extra casting material in the water channel...feeling that if I did not do this that coolant flow may have been compromised in some way.

Not sure if this bit of "extra" metal is commonplace on these units...but you might want to have Steve or Ian look a couple of these over before sending one to you.

Then again...the pump I'd replaced was the original Porsche unit - with flawless castings, and a still smooth and solid feeling bearing. My reason for replacing this pump was solely age and mileage related...but I'm hanging onto it!
Old 01-05-2021, 11:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #137 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
My suggestion: Pull the intake manifold and and replace all those vent hoses, to/from the idle control valve, etc. All of them were on my car were crumbling, and/or had already be repaired with gaffer tape. Good time to do your fuel pipes too!
“Happy to spend your time and money”,
John
Everything is already en route! The long breather hose was pricey, had to get the OEM one as all others are out of stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OK-944 View Post
Nice Seats! I'm currently waiting on a set of vinyl covers from only944...and plan to DIY this - so wish me luck!

As for Geba vs Laso - I went with the Geba kit from 944online...and while the Geba quality is very good, with a metal impeller and very smooth/solid feeling, well-centered bearing, I did need to wield my dremel to smooth out a bit of extra casting material in the water channel...feeling that if I did not do this that coolant flow may have been compromised in some way.

Not sure if this bit of "extra" metal is commonplace on these units...but you might want to have Steve or Ian look a couple of these over before sending one to you.

Then again...the pump I'd replaced was the original Porsche unit - with flawless castings, and a still smooth and solid feeling bearing. My reason for replacing this pump was solely age and mileage related...but I'm hanging onto it!
I'll be watching that DIY, for sure. The original seats could use some repair on the driver's side, which I'm definitely doing myself, if at all.

Thanks for the Geba info, I'm still on the fence. Been calling dealers about the OEM remans, but they seem to know nothing about them...
2005 BMW 330xi
2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Old 01-05-2021, 12:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #138 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
Was able to spend some time today on the car getting the intake manifold off, and those old vac hoses exhumed. I've read that the allen bolts securing the manifold to the head can be trouble, so I was happy when they all broke free with moderate torque.

The spark plug wires weren't as accomodating, and I broke three out of four trying to get them out. New wires added to the list (much needed, apparently). Will also get some new plugs, and some indexing shims for them.

The intake manifold itself needed a few good whacks with a mallet to budge loose. I'll have to give it a good soak, as there's a layer of gummy blow-by residue, likely due to bad AOS seals.

The usual suspects:

With those hoses out of the way, the naked truth is exposed:

Yeap, pretty grimy.

I'm not sure what that yellow connector/fitting/thingy is; any ideas?
2005 BMW 330xi
2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Old 01-09-2021, 08:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #139 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
With new vac hoses, AOS seals, and a timing belt kit en route, it seemed like as good a time as any to get the mess cleaned up. While this is a tedious undertaking, it's worth it for me, since the benefits aren't just cosmetic. A clean engine is easier to work on, and easier to diagnose. It might even run cooler, sans dust/oil insulation, and it'll definitely smell less like an old Porsche (win?).

A screwdriver wrapped in tape is great for this, if you're not using solvents or a power-washer.

Doing the job right, for me, means restoring brackets and bolts when needed. The intake manifold bolts were no problem, but these two buggers gave me some trouble, even with a couple of shocks from the punch.

This will never be seen once it's installed, but I'll know it's not rusting

With that drying, I wiped down the AOS mess, revealing a really nice surface. Oil leaks are nasty, but sure do protect.

Also yanked the plugs out, which look pretty good to my eye. More Bosch plugs will be on order, but I'll problably go with the coppers since they're so easy to access (if I can figure out how to remove the wires without breaking them!).

Here's the EOD:

2005 BMW 330xi
2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Old 01-09-2021, 08:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #140 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: