Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
Great stuff. The minimization of vacuum leaks alone will be a real win. And, civilized cats donít drive with dirty engines, at least not for long.

John.

Old 01-10-2021, 08:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #141 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeffries View Post
Great stuff. The minimization of vacuum leaks alone will be a real win. And, civilized cats donít drive with dirty engines, at least not for long.

John.
Thanks man. Yes, death by 1000 cuts is never a fun way to go.

Heater control valve on order, as well. No sense in doing all this work, and then skipping that one to keep $20 in my pocket.
2005 BMW 330xi
2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Old 01-10-2021, 04:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #142 (permalink)
Registered

You Sir, are pure evil! After torridly absorbing 7 pages of your conquests I was somehow instilled with the idea that I could do the same! The casual, in passing replacement of the rear lock cylinder seal was the final straw. My 'new' seal has been sitting in my garage for 9 years and it wouldn't wait another day. After emptying the trunk, removing the carpet kit, removing a couple bolts I was at last restored back to my normal incompetent self. This time however, YOUR inspiration pushed me that extra step to youtube and voila! Dish soap, a 22mm socket and the 5 minute job was reduced to a simple hour and a half! Thank you!

Excellent work, congratulations and please keep the updates coming!
2015 Charger R/T Road & Track
Old 01-18-2021, 07:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #143 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Good stuff, GostRidr; thanks for stopping by. Is your handle a reference to those awesome night-time street racing videos from back in the day? Glad to hear that my little thread had something to do with your newfound motivation. Sounds like it could be the start of something...

I'm in a bit of a lull, myself, as I'm still waiting on the heater control valve and a other few stragglers. Parts are due by the end of the week, so there should be an update along soon.
2005 BMW 330xi
2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Old 01-19-2021, 06:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #144 (permalink)
Registered

End of week means tomorrow so we look forward to the updates!

My S has never really been very good at starting consistently. So, since she is white and you never see her on the road, she became known as Ghost. Sort of made my screen name easy. More accurately, I guess I should be GostPshr but I will skip the technicalities here

I am not aware of any Ghost Rider racing videos but did find reference to a set of motorcycle vids. I have to think you are talking about something more classic and I look forward to the tip.

Your inspiration continues out here. I couldn't resist a set of 16" phone dials that just came up. I have always LOVED the look of the wider tires and your car looks even better with the early offset deep dish. I will be deciding how to proceed as I get closer to getting her back on the road.

Good luck with the heater core and more!
2015 Charger R/T Road & Track
Old 01-21-2021, 08:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #145 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverLined View Post
Thanks man. Yes, death by 1000 cuts is never a fun way to go.

Heater control valve on order, as well. No sense in doing all this work, and then skipping that one to keep $20 in my pocket.
I saw a tiny bit of green fluid on top of my speed/reference bracket and I'm thinking my heater control valve could be leaking a tiny bit. I'll need to check if the clamps are loose, but if it's the valve itself where can I get one for $20?
Old 01-22-2021, 12:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #146 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
Chris, they should be widely available, incl Milford
Old 01-22-2021, 01:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #147 (permalink)
Registered

Garage

Thanks John. I'll keep looking but not seeing it widely available (at least for $20 haha) but pelican has it for $40+.

Just so we're definitely on the same page, I'm looking for #35 on this diagram - next to the firewall and interacts with the metal cable coming from the slider in the cabin.

Last edited by TheSecondChris; 01-22-2021 at 02:42 PM..
Old 01-22-2021, 02:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #148 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GostRidr View Post
End of week means tomorrow so we look forward to the updates!
So it does, sir! An update is coming up... Thanks for keeping me to task

Quote:
Originally Posted by GostRidr View Post
My S has never really been very good at starting consistently. So, since she is white and you never see her on the road, she became known as Ghost. Sort of made my screen name easy. More accurately, I guess I should be GostPshr but I will skip the technicalities here

I am not aware of any Ghost Rider racing videos but did find reference to a set of motorcycle vids. I have to think you are talking about something more classic and I look forward to the tip.

Your inspiration continues out here. I couldn't resist a set of 16" phone dials that just came up. I have always LOVED the look of the wider tires and your car looks even better with the early offset deep dish. I will be deciding how to proceed as I get closer to getting her back on the road.

Good luck with the heater core and more!
Ah, dig the White Ghost. I lol'd at GhstPshr; hopefully she's "spirited" again, soon. The motorcycle videos were the ones I was talking about. There were also some related ones with cars... Getaway in Stockholm, after a quick search: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YERzCEFP8cg

Thanks again for the kind words, and looking forward to seeing your progress as well. The PD's are the way to go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSecondChris View Post
I saw a tiny bit of green fluid on top of my speed/reference bracket and I'm thinking my heater control valve could be leaking a tiny bit. I'll need to check if the clamps are loose, but if it's the valve itself where can I get one for $20?
Sorry, Chris; I mixed up my invoices. The hose in the same order was $20, and the heater control valve $40. Both OEM.
2005 BMW 330xi
2017 Subaru BRZ PP

Last edited by SilverLined; 01-22-2021 at 06:14 PM..
Old 01-22-2021, 06:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #149 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
The heater control valve and hoses arrived, and since I've (rightfully) been held accountable, here's the pile:

I went with a stage 3 kit for the belt service, because it'll be handy to have all the front seals and gaskets in case I come across something previously unseen (highly likely). The kit also comes with a URO water pump, OEM thermostat, INA tensioners, idler, and roller, along with a Conti timing belt and a Dayco balance shaft belt. Having read about overly noisy/whiny balance shaft belts, and specifically aftermarket ones, I ordered up an OEM piece from our hosts here. Comparing the two, the main difference is in tooth design. The Dayco has a notched M tooth, rather than a semi-circle. The rubber is also harder, and feels more like plastic. I went as far as to weigh them, but there's no appreciable difference (105g for the Porsche, 106g for Dayco).

The Conti timing belt is much more similar to the OEM balance belt, in terms of tooth shape and rubber flexibility. Would be curious to see how it compares to an OEM timing belt. I'm putting the Dayco belt on the shelf, and will keep it around as a spare.

Back to the URO pump; I've heard good things about the newer design with the metal impellar, and was not disappointed when it arrived. The casting is clean, and the bearing seems quality. Since I *think* my OEM water pump is still good, I'll keep it as a backup or rebuild candidate, assuming that the water pump will probably be replaced again in the future.

There are a bunch of other "while you're in there" parts in this pile, as you can see. Clips, clamps, hoses, bolts, etc. May as well dive in!
2005 BMW 330xi
2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Old 01-22-2021, 06:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #150 (permalink)
Registered

Garage

Your picture really helped me out because I was able to see that the previous owner of my car incorrectly routed the hose above the wiring to the MAF, so I'll fix that.
Old 01-23-2021, 08:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #151 (permalink)
Patrick

Garage
Just want to let you know the Conti belt may emit more noise due to that design. I ended purchasing genuine Porsche belts after refusing to put up with that whine, no matter how accurately I adjusted the tension. This has been my experience anyway...
Patrick
Old 01-23-2021, 06:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #152 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSecondChris View Post

Your picture really helped me out because I was able to see that the previous owner of my car incorrectly routed the hose above the wiring to the MAF, so I'll fix that.
I take hundreds along the way, as they always come in handy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfarah View Post
Just want to let you know the Conti belt may emit more noise due to that design. I ended purchasing genuine Porsche belts after refusing to put up with that whine, no matter how accurately I adjusted the tension. This has been my experience anyway...
Patrick
I think you were the one who first clued me into this, Patrick; after some searching and reading up about noisy belts, that's why I went with the OEM balance belt. Both close-up pictures are of the balance belts and should've been concurrent (text in the middle should be after, whoops). The Dayco belt is the grooved, rather than round-toothed belt. The Conti timing belt and Porsche balance shaft belt are nearly identical in terms of tooth design and belt flexibility. Hoping this combination works out for me...
2005 BMW 330xi
2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Old 01-23-2021, 07:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #153 (permalink)
Patrick

Garage
Groovy... Looking forward to another run in the spring.
Old 01-24-2021, 03:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #154 (permalink)
Registered

Yes...pictures! How I wish I'd taken more! (and me...a now-retired pro photog!). Not for the big stuff, but for the "little" things - like all of the various clamps and hold-offs that keep the wiring organized and away from direct engine heat. Is there a diagram someplace mapping this out?
Old 01-24-2021, 05:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #155 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Fantastic build thread! I just read through it for the first time and it's inspiring me to get ready for the next phase on my 951 project: body work and paint. I would love to have that satisfying feeling a freshly painted body! Keep up the great work.

Here's a pretty cool video on my car, but don't let it fool you, the paint is not so nice looking in person!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tn9R3eySJU4&t=302s
Old 01-28-2021, 07:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #156 (permalink)
Patrick

Garage
Ok-944: I took many before and after pictures of the engine during the intake/alternator removal last year. I'll be happy to send them along if you want, PM me.

Patrick
Old 01-28-2021, 01:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #157 (permalink)
Registered

Many thanks...I just might do that!
Old 01-28-2021, 02:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #158 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OK-944 View Post
Yes...pictures! How I wish I'd taken more! (and me...a now-retired pro photog!). Not for the big stuff, but for the "little" things - like all of the various clamps and hold-offs that keep the wiring organized and away from direct engine heat. Is there a diagram someplace mapping this out?
I'm sure there's something in the Porsche factory manual, or even a Hayes-type book. I was lucky in that most of my wiring was in the general vicinity, with only a few amendments from factory condition. Patrick is the go-to guy for this, but I've got pics, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1blk968 View Post
Fantastic build thread! I just read through it for the first time and it's inspiring me to get ready for the next phase on my 951 project: body work and paint. I would love to have that satisfying feeling a freshly painted body! Keep up the great work.

Here's a pretty cool video on my car, but don't let it fool you, the paint is not so nice looking in person!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tn9R3eySJU4&t=302s
Great clip! Your car presents really well, and appears to be in great shape... good luck on the project; it'll be a worthwhile journey, and you're already starting from a good spot. Do post up when you get going! Something like a Ponzi scheme of project motivation over here at Pelican...

It's been a bit too chilly for me to work in the garage this week, but as soon as things thaw out a bit, I'll be back out there. Think I've seen one too many TB/BB videos on YT, so I'm as prepared as I'm going to be. Maybe weather will cooperate next week.

2005 BMW 330xi
2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Old 02-01-2021, 11:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #159 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: